Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Umbro North America

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
??

Granted it is unfortunate that people have lost their jobs, but are you all really that distraught over Umbro going tits up. If you think it will have a catastrophic effect on local soccer, I think you're giving too much credence to a product that was in all honesty second rate. No offense to those that worked there, but Umbro merchandise is was and will always be shite!!!

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sparing all feelings here..... It's not that the product was shite it was the cost of the product for what you got. It was like Umbro was selling a name not a product. Their slogan may have well have been "Buy Umbro because we're Umbro."

Umbro is a big name and it will be felt everywhere, but only for a little while. There is always something around the corner to replace it.

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB,

That comment is the dumbest yet...that is a truly uneducated assessment of an industry you have no concept or knowledge of.

UMBRO's pricing was well inline with all industry standards and in all cases, was able to facilitate all price points.

The reason for your misconception is that (and I won't point fingers) a couple other soccer equipment supplier was able to cut out the middleman agent (sales rep) and sell direct to a few select dealers. In essence, passing those values onto the club. A short-term solution eventually creating a long-term problem. This is why those products were perceived as cheaper! Ethically, UMBRO was not willing to do this.

And selling the name...how do you think that name was built...from a sh_tty product??? No, it was built because of the quality, price and support the brand could provide! Think of that next time you buy something with a Nike Swoosh on it! Dumb ass!

~Nottypissedatignorantpeople :mad:

Apparently they agreed to finance a bunch of new initiatives over here [North America], but were always humming and hawing and making the higher-ups here jump through different hoops. In the end, they backed out of the financing they agreed to and the rest is history.

Regs...This is a very broad, but accurate, overview of what went down.

Much more to the story but UMBRO North America was screwed over numerous times beside this one instant, making it seam as though International was out to break the relationship.

One example is was with our suppliers...after the second time International backed out of a partnership agreement, we made agreements with our suppliers to have the Canadian products released so we could continue on our operations up north. The suppliers agreed, at which time International stepped in and said to them..."NO, nothing gets released until they pay for the US and Canadian Product at once". Great partners eh? At the same time the revoked our Licensee agreement because we couldn't pay for them. So, they wouldn't release any of the products to sell so that we could pay for our Licensee fees for UMBRO Canada and US. A double edge sword as it were!

So when it came to a breaking point a couple weeks ago, International made the decision and basically said, we have screwed them so many times in the last few months, this time we have to burry them or, this will come back to haunt us. Lawsuit pending!

The target deal was also another soar point as international meddled in than one as well...but I'm tired of typing!

~Notty

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to agree with Notty on this one. The Umbro product, at least to me, has always been good. Almost everything I own is Umbro, so I would be lying if I wasn't disappointed with what has gone on in the past week. Notty, you made a very strong point about these people cutting off the 'middle' man. Businesses will never thrive with this kind of 'undercutting'. Anyway, I am bitter with the developments. Notty, will you come to Club Ireland now? ;)

Captain who is going to miss Umbro products

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Respectfully, I have to disagree. Even when I was playing at SFU and was encouraged to buy Umbro boots with the boot allotment $$ we got, almost nobody ever did. While it is true that boots are a matter of taste and preference, (much like golf clubs) Umbro has always been the weaker sister in the game behind the likes of Adidas, and more recently Nike. I wouldn't say that Umbro was out of line with it's pricing, just inferior in terms of its quality.

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronco,

Your perception is correct with respect to high end UMBRO footwear. Although all UMBRO boots have the lowest return rate out of all brands, (As documented by a percentage compared gained other brands...Nike, Adidas etc), our generation was "trained" to buy other brands based on the fact that UMBRO did not have a quality high end boot. For many year they didn't, it has only been in the last 5 years that UMBRO has produced products that are now industry leaders in technology and innovation. In fact, the individual who designed the Adidas Predator is UMBRO's current footwear designer!

Keep in mind that UMBRO's target market is between the ages of 6 - 19 and in that demographic, a mid to low end price point is sufficient until they grow out of that boot! That being said, the higher end products are just now being recognized as quality items! For those kids now in UMBRO boots...when they get to our age, they'll want the high end UMBRO boot.

~Notty

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Notty...you need to deprogram yourself bud. It's OK to hate Umbro now. It's OK to be bitter.

Say it with us Notty...

I hate Umbro...I hate Umbro...I hate Umbro...

Whistler's calling Notty!;)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Notty is in shambles.

Oh, it's not because he has lost his job... it is because he realizes now that it is only a matter of time before he is outted.

Before friday, you see, Notty hid behind the flimsy excuse that because he worked for Umbro, he had to support their products, especially the infamous golden boots.

But now? He can't part with his beloved midas slippers [he told me he sleeps with them tucked under his pillow] so how is he gonna deflect all the attention?

I say embrace your new found freedom Notty, let everyone know that you are ok just being you. I'm sure noone on TTP will mind.

Or just head to the Lennox on Wednesday for an extended liquid lunch :wa:

~Regswhowouldliketopointoutthatthebananaworksbestinmoderation:rolleyes:

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
:D

Funny thin is dude...still like the brand...I made some great friends and contacts from being there! And have always like the brand!

Just unfortunate the way all played out...and yes...Whistler is calling...when is up to you!

Regs,

No...I like the Goldmembers because I am the best player in the VMSL and the only one that can pull them off!

~Notty...nowreallytakingthepiss!!!:D :D :D

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Regs
.. it is because he realizes now that it is only a matter of time before he is outted.

Why is it that Regs is always talking about coming out of the closet?? Hmmmmm:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just trying to make you feel welcome Bronco and deflect attention away from that huge fcuking pumpkin heed of yours :rolleyes:

To stay on topic, I started my Umbro boycott back in '69.

~Regs.

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Regs

To stay on topic, I started my Umbro boycott back in '69.

~Regs.

Please don't reference me and the # 69 together in any of your posts!!;)

Gaffa

Jul 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Notty

Do think that Umbro's failure to secure the Man United contract had anything to do with the demise of Umbro NA? United's home shirt is the most purchased sports shirt in the world, I'm told. That must have been a bit of a downer for the parent company, no? Umbro don't have any of the top teams in the EPL any longer. Lose the England shirt and they could be stuffed all together.

Manchester United can be blamed for many things. Now they've cost one of us a job. Gobshites.

If ya gonna boycott anybody, boycott Nike. They've got no business in Football and should stick to yank sports. Wankers.

Gaffawhoisalongtimeumbrofan. apartfromtheboots

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gaffa,

Although Manchester could be considered the route of all evil, there would is no direct correlation to the demise of UMBRO Canada/USA.

Granted UMBRO international has miss managed many dealings in the last year (i.e. UMBRO.COM, UMBRO Canada/USA, Manchester U...etc.) causing a large loss in revenue...which may or may not have played a factor in their decisions lately. But, these are just moot points in a larger picture! The rumblings were that the CEO of UMBRO International’s job was under review because of these losses and probably had to make a drastic decision somewhere to save his ass! My take on the situation…BTW!

~Notty

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You call the shots. We made about $100 on a non-profit golf tourney on the weekend. Will that work?

:wa: :wa: :wa: :wa: :wa: :wa:

BTW, I love the dancing banana. My daughters like it more. Maybe it has something to do with it looking like a phallic(sp?) symbol? :eek:

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Perhaps I should give up soccer completely...that way I'll have the opportunity to finish the book I'm writing...not to mention the symphony! Notty's Ode to Footy!:wa::D :wa: :D

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0