Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 VMSL Division 2/3/CAT CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seems like the top half of the draw is much more difficult than the bottom half.

I'll echo that. You have 5 of the top 6 from 2A (including the top 3 who are all battling it out for promotion). 2 of the top 3 from 2B, all 3 first place Div 3 teams and 3 of the 4 CAT teams that have been deemed "decent."

The second quarter (games 7-12) looks particularly daunting...

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
How do the boners feel about a friday night fixture. Stay classy strathcona!

Hope the boners pull this one out and come away unscathed from any dirty needles of hooker poop.

Last edited:

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wheels are in motion for a change of times. Last ferry home is at 9:39 so we need to find another slot.
Both teams with almost identical records. Should be a good game.

Macho Man

Oct 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
How do the boners feel about a friday night fixture. Stay classy strathcona!

Hope the boners pull this one out and come away unscathed from any dirty needles of hooker poop.

It's been their kick off time for home games for at least two seasons, hardly an effort to gain an unfair advantage

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We had a good team ;)
Has a CAT team won it since?
Don't think so... we probably came closest in 2011 when we lost to Shaheen in the final. They had a pretty good team then, as they did the double by also winning Provincials and then got promoted the next season.
After that season we left CAT to play Div 2.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Strathcona stayed classy for sure. Really nice bunch of guys and it was great to play against them. What a breath of fresh air compared to some of the chippy garbage we've dealt with from a few of the teams we've played this year.
As expected it was an exciting opening cup match yesterday--moved to an earlier time slop to accommodate both Strathcona's preference and our own late night ferry issues.

Classic game of two halves. Boners started well and controlled play in the first half, getting a goal and missing at least 4 other excellent chances, including one chip of the Strathcona keeper that everyone in East Vancouver thought was in for sure, but dropped onto the crossbar and out.
Second half Strathcona fought back and had the better of the play, spreading Bowen's defense with good wide play and exhausting the Island boys who started chasing the ball too much. Midway in the half Strathcona got one back off a nice header on the far post and they pressed hard for a game winner. But, Boners caught them on counters a few times against the run of play and missed another couple of good chances. Overall the teams were pretty even and it ended 1-1. In penalties their first guy scored and their keeper made an outstanding save on our first shooter. You could read the body language at that moment and see most of island guys were thinking, OK lets just go get a beer. Strathcona's keeper saved two more and their guys scored and Boner's cup run was over before it got started.

Best of luck to Strathcona in their upcoming matches!

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you for the report @RickG. I am sorry that you ended up going early. It would have been fun to have you around for more rounds and perhaps have our teams meet in a game.

As for the question of @The Messiah with respect to Norvan and Burnaby Athletic, (he posted in another thread) I will go to see the game. It should be a good one. I hope that this answer your question. I rather have Norvan beating Burnaby Athletic, since in my opinion they are team that can go far in the CUP. It depends what players they have in the competition. One of their games that I saw, they showed very good skill. They also showed intelligent tactical and strategic coordination. Their midfielders were very creative and controlled the ball well and their finishers were precise. Thus, I rather have to play Norvan than Burnaby. I hope that Norvan wins the game.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you for the report @RickG. I am sorry that you ended up going early. It would have been fun to have you around for more rounds and perhaps have our teams meet in a game.

As for the question of @The Messiah with respect to Norvan and Burnaby Athletic, (he posted in another thread) I will go to see the game. It should be a good one. I hope that this answer your question. I rather have Norvan beating Burnaby Athletic, since in my opinion they are team that can go far in the CUP. It depends what players they have in the competition. One of their games that I saw, they showed very good skill. They also showed intelligent tactical and strategic coordination. Their midfielders were very creative and controlled the ball well and their finishers were precise. Thus, I rather have to play Norvan than Burnaby. I hope that Norvan wins the game.

Ouch.... I see that the prediction turned out to be correct. Norvan got owned by Burnaby Athletic 4-1. Burnaby Athletic should go far in competition.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SD Rangers 2 VAFC Celtic 1

They scored in the first half, we scored in the second half. 7 rounds of penalties in, they score on theirs and ours gets saved. Bhoys were disappointed but not gutted with the result, as there were chances to put this away that weren't capitalized upon.

Good game out in the middle of nowhere (Dugald Morrison in Ladner), although the ref was a bit lost on many of his rather speculative offside calls against our forwards. Definitely a situation where having ARs would have helped - we hit a large number of through balls for our forwards to run onto over their back line, but the ref wasn't able to track both where the balls were being kicked from and where the forwards were tagging up to run onto them from, so he just blew down everything that looked like a breakaway, legit or otherwise. Oh well...

On to the summer season (still feels a bit weird saying that in February).

Eastvan

Dec 1, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for early predictions:
QuarterFinal 1 (Rino Fury Vs Westside)
QuarterFinal 2 (Burnaby Metro Vs Serbia)
QuarterFinal 3 (Snipers VS Astro)
QuarterFinal 4 (Strikers VS Campo Libre)

i.e. Burnaby Metro and Serbia and even Campo Libre are Division 2 calibre.

Rinos vs Nk Hrvat
Burnaby Metro vs Serbia
Snipers vs Squamish
Strikers vs Surrey United

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Round of 32 (with league positions in brackets):

• Rino’s Fury A (D2B, 1st) v Harps FC A (D2B, 3rd)
  • Vancouver Greencaps (D2A, 6th) v Rich FC Olympics (D2A, 8th)
  • Rino’s Fury B (CAT, 4th) v NVFC Viking Storm B (CAT, 3rd)
  • Westside FC B (CAT, 2nd) v NK Hrvat A (D2B, 4th)
  • GN Sporting Club (D2A, 3rd) v 13th Legion FC (D2B, 9th)
  • Bby Metro Athletic (D3C, 1st) v Campo Atletico (D2A, 1st)
  • Meraloma FC A (D2A, 5th) v Royal City YSC A (D3A, 7th)
  • Gastown FC (D2B, 8th) v FC Serbia (D3B, 1st)
  • Snipers FC A (D2A, 4th) v SU Extreme A (D3A, 2nd)
  • Strathcona United (D3B, 4th) v Lobbans FC (D3A, 4th)
  • Squamish FC (D2B, 5th) v Ex Patriots (D3B, 6th)
  • GFC United Lions (D2B, 12th) v Astro FC (D2A, 7th)
  • Vancouver Strikers (D2B, 2nd) v Vancouver United FC A (D2B, 7th)
  • South Delta Rangers (D3A, 9th) v SDFC Royals B (CAT, 5th)
  • Surrey United B (CAT, 1st)v Unicorns FC (D3B, 2nd)
  • Green Devils FC A (D3A, 6th) v Bombastic FC A (D2B, 11th)

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
[QUOTE="Burnaby Athletic should go far in competition.[/QUOTE]

@Soccer Coach, are you predicting your own loss? I see your next match is against them. Should be good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0