Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 VMSL Division 2/3/CAT CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
DIV2-R16-41 Harps FC A Rich FC Olympics...Harps run rampant.
DIV2-R16-42 Winner Game 27 NK Hrvat A...no opponent, no problem. haha
DIV2-R16-43 GN Sporting Club Campo Atletico...Campo clicking!
DIV2-R16-44 Meraloma FC A FC Serbia...Div3 high flyers.upset of the week!
DIV2-R16-45 Snipers FC A Lobbans FC...torn about this one but Snipers to pull through.
DIV2-R16-46 Squamish FC Astro FC...home field advantage. haha
DIV2-R16-47 Vancouver Strikers South Delta Rangers...straight forward for the strikers.
DIV2-R16-48 Surrey United B Bombastic FC...keepin the CAT dream alive.

fingywaggle

Sep 28, 2014
Tokens
Dirty Money
The boys from Squamish might have something to say about that... if they can stay disciplined and don't end up with half the team suspended before then ;)[/QUOTE

2 weeks with no reds for squamish. I'm predicting a meltdown in the card department this weekend tho. Only a matter of time.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So 1-1 after 90 minutes. What was the PK tally?

How long ago was the Van Tech turf installed? Shouldn't it drain even in heavy rain? Perhaps the old Chinese woman from Andy Livingstone has been hiding her plastic-bottle stash around other venues too...

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Round of 16 (with league positions in brackets):

• Harps FC A (D2B, 3rd) v Rich FC Olympics (D2A, 8th) - S Memorial Turf, VAN – SAT / 6:00 PM
  • Rino’s Fury B (CAT, 4th) v NK Hrvat A (D2B, 4th) - Andy Livingstone E Turf, VAN – SUN / 2:00 PM
  • GN Sporting Club (D2A, 3rd) v Campo Atletico (D2A, 2nd) - Newton Athl 3 Turf, SRY – FRI / 8:45 PM
  • Meraloma FC A (D2A, 5th) v FC Serbia (D3B, 1st) - Empire Turf South, VAN – SAT / 2:00 PM
  • Snipers FC A (D2A, 4th) v Lobbans FC (D3A, 4th) - Point Grey Turf, VAN – SAT / 4:00 PM
  • Squamish FC (D2B, 5th) v Astro FC (D2A, 7th) - Brennan Park Turf, SQM – SAT / 6:00 PM
  • Vancouver Strikers (D2B, 2nd) v South Delta Rangers (D3A, 9th) - Jericho Turf, VAN – SAT / 4:00 PM
  • Surrey United B (CAT, 1st) v Bombastic FC A (D2B, 11th) - Cloverdale Athl 1 Turf, SRY – SUN / 6:00 PM

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So 1-1 after 90 minutes. What was the PK tally?

How long ago was the Van Tech turf installed? Shouldn't it drain even in heavy rain? Perhaps the old Chinese woman from Andy Livingstone has been hiding her plastic-bottle stash around other venues too...

It drained fine. I think sloppy was more a reference to the play than the field.

1st pk: NV score / Rino - miss
2nd pk: NV - score / Rino - score
3rd pk: NV - score/ Rino - score
4th pk: NV - miss / Rino - miss
5th pk: NV - saved / Rino - score
6th pk: NV - saved / Rino - score

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
My predictions (winners in bold):

• Harps FC A (D2B, 3rd) v Rich FC Olympics (D2A, 8th)
  • Rino’s Fury B (CAT, 4th) v NK Hrvat A (D2B, 4th)
  • GN Sporting Club (D2A, 3rd) v Campo Atletico (D2A, 2nd)
  • Meraloma FC A (D2A, 5th) v FC Serbia (D3B, 1st)
  • Snipers FC A (D2A, 4th) v Lobbans FC (D3A, 4th)
  • Squamish FC (D2B, 5th) v Astro FC (D2A, 7th)
  • Vancouver Strikers (D2B, 2nd) v South Delta Rangers (D3A, 9th)
  • Surrey United B (CAT, 1st) v Bombastic FC A (D2B, 11th)

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
The round of 32 of the VSML cup had four significant upsets.
1) Rhinos A, one of the favourites to win the cup, was dismissed decisively with a 3-0 loss at the hands of Harps FC. 2) The "unstoppable" Greencaps had also an unexpected early exit with their loss to Richmond Olympics due to 1-2 score (Farquea: any 300 style of report/sequel?).
3) Westside CAT is no longer in the competition due to the good work of NK Harvat. Westside had put a lot of good players on this team, so there must be disappointment with this loss.
4) Burnaby Athletic, the all time favourites to win this cup, experienced a surprising painful and agonizing defeat on penalty kicks with Campo Atletico. Burnaby was ahead on the score two times during regular time and one time on penalties, but they missed at the end.

With the four early exits of these strong teams, quite a few teams can progress through subsequent rounds with more ease. The two key matches of this round are Meraloma Vs Serbia and GN Vs Campo Atletico. All of them are very strong teams, but ironically the winners of those matches will also face each other. In my view, there is no clear winner from those matches, so these games will be very exciting.

Striker, Snipers, and Harps are the other strong remaining teams, and they should advance to the next round without complications.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good luck the rest of the way @Soccer Coach.

As I said at the season start, having played GN in the summer league they were a very good young team with lots of depth. Not sure if that is the same team (same roster as summer)playing winter or not but either way this should be a good game.

Good luck to both teams.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burnaby Athletic 2 - Campo Atletico 2 (7-8 on penalties).

Before we start with the game report, I would like to make a couple of comments.

This was probably the most entertaining and enjoyable match of the season so far (Division 2 and Division 3). It was well played by both sides, and it was very well refereed. I am not sure if the referee's name is Ruben, but his head is bold. He did an excellent job in the middle of the park. He gave appropriate and deserved cautions, and he controlled the game well. Perhaps the only issue in which he did not follow protocol was the allowing of girlfriends and spectators on the bench and outside the technical area.

Having survived this round gives great satisfaction and relief. Burnaby Athletic is arguable the best and strongest team within Division 2 and 3 of the VMSL. It is very well coached and has extremely skilled players. Having 18 straight wins, including the crushing of Norvan {the top Division 2 team} by a score of 4-1, is not a minor achievement. They had scored over 100 goals and conceded only 3 before this game, which is also a very impressive statistic.

I do personally enjoy watching them play. They play good quality and interesting soccer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burnaby Athletic seems to take the games in a very responsible manner. The entire team arrived in uniforms an hour before the game. We could see that they even were bringing a big white board with the strategy of the game. Perhaps @SmartCoach kept his promise and has passed some tips to them.

Even though Burnaby Athletic is the favourite we decided to keep the same strategy that we have kept for most of our games. This seems to have take them by surprise. Campo controlled and dominated possession for the first 15 minutes of the game. Campo even had two very clear goal scoring opportunities during the early stages of the game. The first was a brilliant chip over the defensive line. The forward volleyed the ball, but it went to the side of the net.

The second opportunity came with a precise through ball that beat the back line, the refereed called the play an offside. It seems that he was wrong, but we can not blame him as there is no assistant referees. Our player continue with the ball and scored, and he was quickly cautioned by the referee.

A few minutes later they had the ball in our penalty area. There was no risk, so the player dives in the box. The referee quickly shows him the yellow card.

Navid Machini, former UBC and Whitecaps player, arrived for some reason late to the game. When he enters the field, the game changes. It becomes more even and Burnaby starts to create meaningful treats and keeps more possession.

With three minutes to go, a pass is made to their forward. Our back line stops and waits for the offside call, which is obvious to them. However, from the angle of the referee it seems that there is no offside. The forward puts the ball on the net with ease as there is no one putting pressure on him.

It seems an undeserved goal, but Campo players do not quit or complain. The first half ends with them leading the game.

The second half starts and Campo presses for the equalizer. The pressure pays off and a nice cross to the far post is met by a header from one of our shortest players who nicely puts it on the net.

However, Burnaby regains the lead within five minutes. Navid scores a fantastic goal from the top of the box. He places the ball perfectly and it is impossible for any keeper to stop such a well placed ball.

Campo players do not crumble. They throw everything into the attack and corner Burnaby Athletic in their own penalty box. Eventually a shot is made that has a deflection. The ball lands near the striker who quickly and gratefully puts it on the net.

The game ends 2-2 after a few minutes.

The referee quickly calls for the penalties. This becomes quite an exciting affair. The game was tied after 8 rounds with only one miss in each side. Campo missed the second attempt, but our players do not fail under pressure. They put the ball on the net every time with clinical precision. Both of the keepers are very good, so this shows the quality of the penalty takers.

However, eventually someone has to miss. This time the bad luck was on the side of Burnaby. Our keeper made a fantastic save that eliminated the heavy favourites to win the cup.

A very good game that speaks well for the VMSL.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The round of 32 of the VSML cup had four significant upsets.
1) Rhinos A, one of the favourites to win the cup, was dismissed decisively with a 3-0 loss at the hands of Harps FC. 2) The "unstoppable" Greencaps had also an unexpected early exit with their loss to Richmond Olympics due to 1-2 score (Farquea: any 300 style of report/sequel?).
3) Westside CAT is no longer in the competition due to the good work of NK Harvat. Westside had put a lot of good players on this team, so there must be disappointment with this loss.
4) Burnaby Athletic, the all time favourites to win this cup, experienced a surprising painful and agonizing defeat on penalty kicks with Campo Atletico. Burnaby was ahead on the score two times during regular time and one time on penalties, but they missed at the end.

With the four early exits of these strong teams, quite a few teams can progress through subsequent rounds with more ease. The two key matches of this round are Meraloma Vs Serbia and GN Vs Campo Atletico. All of them are very strong teams, but ironically the winners of those matches will also face each other. In my view, there is no clear winner from those matches, so these games will be very exciting.

Striker, Snipers, and Harps are the other strong remaining teams, and they should advance to the next round without complications.

Not sure how much of an upset Hrvat over Westside was. Seemed like a game that could have gone either way. I'm sure both teams felt they had a chance to win.

I guess Harps over Rinos is an upset given that Rinos are the runaway leaders in 2A. However, Harps are third in that division and are a strong team having just been relegated from Div 1. They also drew Rinos in their previous meeting, so it's not a complete stunnner.

I'll give you Olympics over Greencaps. I definitely did not have Richmond advancing and figured Greencaps would be keen to salvage their campaign with a bit of a cup run.

As for Campo "upsetting" Bby Athletic I really cannot understand your ongoing obsession with classing your team as an underdog. You were the only one calling Bby "favourites to win the cup." To be honest I am not sure how a promotion contender in Div 2 can be considered the overwhelming underdog to a Div 3 team, regardless of their caliber. I will concede that I have not seen Bby play and their performance against Campo certainly indicates their credentials, but sorry, if they would have emerged victorious it would have been Campo being upset in my books.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, don't forget to preview next round matchup vs GN.

I wonder how big of an underdog you will consider yourself this weekend......

BTW, you are still a prick. Regardless if you write any reports or not.

You know... Stringer... I do not answer you how you deserved just because I have respect for the teachings of Guru Nanak (GN) and because I have good friends from the Indo-Canadian community. I would suggest that you and your teammates reflect on the language and behaviour that you display on the field and off the field. Is this something that would Guru Nanak would approve or encourage?

I do look forward to the game of tomorrow. A difficult challenge for Campo players who continue on their football odyssey. GN plays with strength. Perhaps even sometimes a bit to violently. They are young and fast, and are tactically very well organized in the defense. I would think that the odds favour them, but I am confident that Campo players have the determination and desire to given them a good fight.

Perhaps the soccer Gods come in our favour, and give our humble Campo team a victory against the GN monster. However, the odds are in favour of GN.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure how much of an upset Hrvat over Westside was. Seemed like a game that could have gone either way. I'm sure both teams felt they had a chance to win.

I guess Harps over Rinos is an upset given that Rinos are the runaway leaders in 2A. However, Harps are third in that division and are a strong team having just been relegated from Div 1. They also drew Rinos in their previous meeting, so it's not a complete stunnner.

I'll give you Olympics over Greencaps. I definitely did not have Richmond advancing and figured Greencaps would be keen to salvage their campaign with a bit of a cup run.

As for Campo "upsetting" Bby Athletic I really cannot understand your ongoing obsession with classing your team as an underdog. You were the only one calling Bby "favourites to win the cup." To be honest I am not sure how a promotion contender in Div 2 can be considered the overwhelming underdog to a Div 3 team, regardless of their caliber. I will concede that I have not seen Bby play and their performance against Campo certainly indicates their credentials, but sorry, if they would have emerged victorious it would have been Campo being upset in my books.
" I will concede that I have not seen Bby play and their performance against Campo certainly indicates their credentials, but sorry, if they would have emerged victorious it would have been Campo being upset in my books."

I would suggest that you seen them play. I also would suggest that you see Navid play. He is really a superb player.
Then you would likely agree. He has a excellent first touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0