Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Division 2] Predictions, Results & Banter, October, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bonefish.... you guys pony up to beat us but then you can only muster a tie against the lowly Cobras? WTF?!? I'll be interested to read the game report on that one.....
I can see how the Cobras would park the team bus in front of their goal and frustrate the opposition. I don't understand how they would score themselves, though :confused:

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan 1 vs Cobra's 1: The ball was in their half for the majority of the game. After a scoreless 1st half. We get the first goal within 5 minutes of the next half. The collective foot comes of the gas pedal, some poor play around their net and that takes us to the last moments of the game...
Cobra player to the refree: Please just a couple more minutes.
Referee: Puts his whistle in his mouth but does not blow it.
JB's trying to do too much with the ball turn it over in the Cobras half. Ball goes out for a throw-in. Cobra player takes the ball off the throw and runs into the middle and sends a long ball straight down the field. Calamity ensues which sees our keeper and 2 other defenders unable to thwart the play. Ball bounces off our keeper and back onto the feet of the Cobra forward. Ball goes into our net. Referee blows final whistle. Cue the single gunshot to the head...
We were missing a couple of players from Monday(Midfield) and had a short bench. We stunk it up in all areas. Cobras are not a very good team but to their credit they played till the end. Had we put a couple more swords in them early it may have been different. The smell of that game is still funking up my nose....

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to say that I've been playing Div 2 off and on for about 10 years now and this is the most parity I've seen in Division 2 for sure. Gone are the days of 9-0 games (for the most part) and teams that routinely score 70+ goals a year. Last year the Hurricanes and Primo were definitely the class of Div 2 - a step above the rest, but we also see them both currently atop their respective Div 1 sides. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but each week, there is some pretty good soccer being played in Division 2 (for the most part).

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Teelay. I do not remember seeing so many ties at this point in the season. So called "upsets" are occuring more frequently. Surely the reinstitution of the third division has something to do with this. Not too many freebies anymore.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  1. Aryana FC vs Yaletown FC: Aryana will need to find the net if they want to stay in this match. If they do this they have enough runners to keep pace with Yaletown. Yaletown by 1
  2. Bosna SC vs Rangers FC 'A': Rangers, coming off a huge win will need to keep focus on a very unpredictable Bosna side. Rangers by 2
  3. NK Hrvat vs C-Lects: NK had their shirts handed to them out in T-Town and will be looking to bounce back. C-Lects will be hard pressed to come out of this match with any points. NK by 3
  4. UBC Metropolitan vs Cliff Ave. Cobra: The Cobras have snake bitten two mid table teams with back to back ties. Will the "Swami" performance be enough to strike for a 3rd consecutive week? UBC by 2
  5. Norvan JB's vs PCOV "A": MOTW This mid table battle is gut check time for two teams on the cusp of good "things" but coming up short far too often. This will be the first ever meeting between the two clubs and a win is crucial for either to make a push for the top third of the table. Norvan did not impress in their last game and will need to re-focus on the small components that make a complete game. Norvan by 1.

1. West Van Royals vs Kosova SC: WV have the 2nd best record in Div 2 and Kosova are but a shadow of team they were in previous years. This one should be academic. WV by 3
  2. Cleo's FC vs Point Grey Rangers: PGR and Cleo's records point to a very close game. Are PGR underachievers or are they deserving of their 22nd place Combined Ranking? PGR by 1
  3. Bombastic SC "A" vs Signmaster SC: MOTW These two sides have played each other numerous times in seasons past and Signmaster holds an overwheming advantage. Signmaster has been challenged with lack of playing time this season but this will be 3 games in as many weeks. Will Bombastic be able to overcome any mental mindblocks from the past? Signmaster's hallmark has been its stingy defense led by "Mosh" the speedster but Bombastic seem to have found some seasoned goal scorers. This should be one of the better matchups of the weekend.
  4. Douglas Park vs Squamish FC: After a strong start, Squamish have seemingly hit the wall. They will be in tough this week and will need to play disciplined defensive soccer to get by a jinky Douglas Park team. 2-2 Draw
  5. Shaheen FC "A" vs "B" United: Shaheen have strung together 3 wins in a row and they are still well within the hunt at this stage in the season but a tie or a loss to B'United will seriously undermine any quest for glory. Shaheen by 1

1. GN Sporting Club vs Unicorns FC: GN are not walking away with the division but they are getting the job done. They Unicorns are not a push over and will give you a game. 1-1 draw
  2. PCOV Europa vs Westside Knights: A better than expected apple harvest is rumored to be the secret behind the best start for the Knights in several years. Knights put Europa to bed by a 2 goal margin.
  3. Hellas Athletic FC vs Green Devils FC: The GD's will need every point from here on out to control their destiny. Hella's can steal some points if they play to their fullest but the GD's attack aka Operation Charlie will be tough to contain. GD's by a couple.
  4. East Van Socceroos vs Meralomas SC: Meralomas will win if they pressure and score early. Lomas 3-1
  5. C-men Lions vs KLM Alemania: MOTW These teams may be closer than the standing would indicate. C-Men cannot look past zGermans. Alemania by 1 in a hotly contested matchup.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 2 A,b,c Not At Playing Level Of Top Teams In Div2 Cat A ! Number One Ranked Is Surrey United C . Very Strong Team With Very Good New Players Added This Season .

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 2 A,b,c Not At Playing Level Of Top Teams In Div2 Cat A ! Number One Ranked Is Surrey United C .
Hmmm... interesting how a 5-0-1 team is ranked above 6-0-0 Bombastic in SmartCoach's world. Perhaps If I Capitalize Every Word I Write, It Will Somehow Be True...Yaletown Football Club Number One Best Team In Northern Hemisphere! :wa:

Nope, just not feeling it somehow. Disappointing. :(

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 2 A,b,c Not At Playing Level Of Top Teams In Div2 Cat A ! Number One Ranked Is Surrey United C .
Is Surrey using their CAT system(Ie Premier/Div1Cat Players playing down)? Are all these players going to hang around for Div 2Cup? That will be when your assertions will have the most merit. I am not disagreeing but it is really difficult to compare teams in 2CAT with Div 2 without consistent interplay and consistent rosters for the CAT Teams.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is Surrey using their CAT system(Ie Premier/Div1Cat Players playing down)? Are all these players going to hang around for Div 2Cup? That will be when your assertions will have the most merit. I am not disagreeing but it is really difficult to compare teams in 2CAT with Div 2 without consistent interplay and consistent rosters for the CAT Teams.

As far as I know they do not use the CAT system at all. They have been around for at least 5 years and always have a solid team that seems to be run independently from the rest of Surrey Utd, with exception of shared facilities at CAP. Last year they demolished KLM Alemania in 2 Cup, and only went out to eventual winners Romania in the semi's. With the additions they've made, I would expect another strong showing this year and would not be surprised if they made it to the final.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why would they be playing in CAT if they are not the CAT team for another "higher up " team. The intent of the CAT division is to provide a feeder system that assists in developing young talent. It would also allow some extra playing time for younger bench warmers of the higher up team. Ideally, those that do not eventually measure up would go play for another squad not CAT affiliated. Essentially,the CAT system should only be a developmental approach. Once it has been determined that a guy does not measure up or show enough potential, he should be playing for a league team that befits his skill level. This seems to be the primary fault of the system. In theory it should work quite well. Unfortunately, there are too many involved who do not adhere to the spirit of the CAT system as it should be played.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dr. J, I think the league is largely at fault for that. They often have placed new teams in the CAT division just to fill the space, or even worse told new entries that they must be affiliated with an existing club in order to enter the league -- they still do this on a regular basis with U21.

I can't say for sure why Surrey United "C" remain in 2CAT as opposed to going in regular Div 2. It could be that they simply have no aspirations of moving up to Div 1, or maybe they just enjoy the rivalry between them, us and the Irish which has been brewing for the past few years.

Sep 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
DPR 4 Squamish 2
Game was closer than the score indicated. DPR went up 3-0 pretty quickly with 2 nice header goals and an own goal by Squamish. The play was fairly even throughout the first half with DPR having the edge in chances, but Squamish's #17 scored a nice one from 18 out just before the end of the half. DPR went up by 3 a few minutes into the 2nd half on a brilliant outside of the foot shot from 25 by our centre mid.
Give Squamish credit as they are a strong side that doesn't quit, which resulted in a well-deserved 2nd goal by their #7 with 30 mins to play on a nice spin move and blast under the bar...
Very well referred game again. Clean game, and I think Squamish deserves full credit for joining the VMSL and being a competitive side. I expect they will finish top 4 in 2B..

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aryana 1-4 YFC

Could've been 6 or 7. Aryana shows up with 9 guys, one of whom is the drunkest person I've ever seen play organized football, and that's saying something. He was a useless ranting moron, unsurprisingly, and his side were very relieved when their subs turned up so they could yank him off the pitch. At 1-0, Aryana's 10th shows up. At 2-0, their 11th comes onto the pitch. At 3-0, the team bus with four more players shows up. Evidently, our finishing decided to go off the pitch with the drunk guy, and we ended up missing a host of gilded chances in the last hour and only putting one more in. Aryana pulled one back with about five minutes to go, when the pace, skill, and hustle of their two center-mids finally paid off. They're some of the most skilled players I've seen in Div. 2, but don't have much support. That said, I think Aryana should get some points in their games against the bottom half of the table.
I'd expected a lot more chippiness on basis of what I'd heard, but it was a good clean game with few fouls and nothing mean-spirited. The only blot was the drunk jackass, but he was mainly a source of amusement to us and an source of embarassment to his own team, especially when he stood like a training pylon in the opposite corner of the pitch and kept our striker onside for the third goal.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
VMSL rules say no drinking alocoholic beverages at soccer fields or any other public places .Aryana player was following VMSL directives by pre drinking !
We have your brazlian from last seasons post thanks.

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PGR 1 - Cleos 0

I wasn't at game, but according to the boys, we had 3 legitimate goals called back by the ref. I can understand 1 during a game, but 3 is a bit weird. From the reports I've got, 2 of the call backs were mind-boggling and the 3rd was one that was one that was a very dubious call as well. Oh well, 3 points is all that matters at this point so we'll take it.

Bombastic over Signmaster by 5... yikes - is Bombastic that good or did Signmaster just have a very off day?

yoyoyo

Oct 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kosovo pulls a no show on Saturday. West Van takes 3 more points by default. It was a great day yesterday so it sucked to not get a game in.

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
NK 1 : C-lects 0
this was one ugly game. Clects played a good game concidering they started with 11 and about 10 mins in one of their guys got hurt. I'm not gonna mention the ref but wow, that's all. First half fairly even with Clets having better quality chances. Second half Clects legs stop running and we completely took the game over, their keeper was on top of his game making some serious saves and he had this magic force field around his net cuz we missed a wide open net at least 8 times and when i say open (i'll leave this one for discussion), anyways, we got one off a corner, what a sweet header that was, haha you had to be there to believe it, our defender just stuck his head out and you could hear the thump and somehow it went in. this was a train running on corn powered fuel..... :( but a win is a win

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
An iideal day, weather wise, on a fine Hastings bowl field, saw the Knights cruise to a 2-0 win over PCOV. If not for several posts and crossbars, the score could have been very lopsided. Perhaps having our currently injured all time leading scorer in for this one would have helped. At least that was what he kept telling anyone who would listen. Nevertheless,the Knights continue to enjoy their finest start to a season since their average age was under thirty five. An unfortunate collision with #2, on a breakaway,saw the overworked PCOV keeper helped off the pitch with a bad leg injury. Hopefully he will not miss any time off work. The Knights are hoping the apple supplies do not deplete too soon and that the Rattler and his FBI sidekick get a good nights rest prior to a possible MOTW with the Greenies. A decent ref might help as well. The good doctor is looking forward to this week's game reports for the surprising results in A,B,and C that are sure to affect the Bonefish rankings.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bosna 1 - Rangers 1.

Fair result in the end but with better finishing each side could have had 4 or 5 on a sloppy kensington. We wasted chance after chance in a 2nd half that was one way traffic other than the odd counterattack by Bosna after they scored the opener on a play where 2 defenders and our keeper slipped on the sloppy turf. They deserved a goal after creating some nice chances in the first half along with 72 offside calls. We scored finally on a long throw that was flicked through to the back post where our striker finally managed to get it in the goal after hitting the post and missing from inside the 6 twice earlier. Our first foray onto grass this year was not pretty but we will take the point considering we were missing guys and had our Halloween fundraiser the night before and had 9 guys 10 minutes before the game started. We will need to be better if we want to have a chance to do anything this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0