Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[VMSL Masters] 2007/2008 Preseason Banter/Rumours etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New teams:
Cliff Avenue & ???

Teams switching divisions:
West Van & Sapperton to B
Inter & Firemen to A

A Div:
MetroFord
Columbus
Inter
Firemen
PCOV
???

B Div:
BRM
Westside
West Van
Sapperton
Wickham
???

Will PCOV have a team this year? If not, what would be the chances of going to a single division and playing 20 games each? Isn't the open going that way over the next couple of years?

Who is the other Div 1 team coming up? A PCOV team finished second - are they coming up or taking the place of the "current" PCOV team? or is Cracovia, who finished 3rd, coming up?

What is the status for Firemen next year Scotty? New blood?

Cheers,

~Regs.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [VMSL Masters] 2007/2008 Preseason

All I know is that I now understand why Westside didn't win this year. We just had our year-ender up at Cultus lake. With the beautiful weather, off came the shirts. Holy crap are we fat. Coach Al has put a 10% reduction mandate on all of us, save about 3 players. Maybe 20 games is just what we needed. Someone overheard a neighbor say, "you guys are soccer players?". South Beach diet, here we come.

I think we should strive for a 20 game year by getting in a few Wednesday games in September. The more we get in early while we have light and good grass fields, the better.

FRANCIS

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

When we had the meeting last year to discuss SU coming over and the structure of Premier, there were about six teams interested in playing O40's. At the time, with those teams going O40's and the div 1 teams coming up, Premier was going to be 8-10 teams. When crunch time came, only 2 teams were willing to commit to O40's, so we ended up with 11 teams and then Richmond also came up to make it 12.

I think the intention was to run Premier like this for a year and then see who would go O40's the following year, trying to get Premier to 10 teams. The structure will all come down to who goes O40.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Regs:

As far as my A.S.S. (that's Anonymous Soccer Source for the acronym-challenged among you) has revealed, PCOV are staying put. Lusos can't get promoted as they are a CAT team for the Premier side, so that means that Cracovia will go back up for another chance at the big dance.

Don't know about how the over 40s issue will shake out. It wasn't even a topic at the AGM:rolleyes:, so I guess it's really behind the back burner. Right now, there are only 2 clubs with attached over 40s teams: Westside and PCOV, both of whom are playing in the 3rd division right now. I know that Cliff Ave have a strong over 40s team who were part of my original plan to set this up (yes, pre-VMSL). We need at least 6 more to make it viable.

In terms of new teams in the league, I know that Maplewood want to take the plunge, and I know that Bingers were considering it, but that was back before Christmas.

Cheers,

Trece

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

The switching from A to B thing is kind of like shutting down the Lions Gate Bridge for renos, and then keeping it at three lanes. It makes it seem like your are doing something without fixing what you need to fix to make things better. As far as expanding the Masters Premier Division and making it an A and B side as the VMSL did last year, (although if memory serves it was said at the 2006 AGM that the league was dead set against two divisions and they did it anyway:confused: ), I understand the logic for a one year deal to get SU on board, but now they need to fix that. I mean we didn't even have a league champion this year. And maybe Cracovia has improved since 05/06 but there were quite a few 7 or 8 zero scores that that side had to endure, and that is not good for anyone.

So they should get it back to ten teams in Prem.

Taxman

Sep 23, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

We have a little new blood - but mostly banking on switching to Friday night games so we can keep the whinny Alkira happy by not having to use the excuses of coaching girls games and most players being on one shift anymore. Trouble is not many options for Friday nights - especially where you can have a few pops afterwards.
I think that one division is best - the split sides just doesn't make sense.
As for over 40's - seen those teams play and we are too far away from that (except for age) unless quite a few teams join us .... after all we are the most aged team with the youngest at 41 this year.

Scottyshell

Sep 22, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

You mean we may only play SU once this coming season...what fun is that? Regs...new blood...only if someone on the team has a transfusion...possible one or two...we'll see who shows up...Sept 9th?..first game?

Cheers!

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

You mean we may only play SU once this coming season...what fun is that? Regs...new blood...only if someone on the team has a transfusion...possible one or two...we'll see who shows up...Sept 9th?..first game?

Cheers!

Seriously, it's getting to the point I know the cologne you are wearing Scotty.........eau de budweiser or something like that. :cool:

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Full Alignment (from of course, the Most Excellent Web Site):

Premier (still undivided - full setup will probably be announced at the meeting tonight)

Cliff Ave Eh
Columbus
Metro Ford Wolves
Cracovia
ICSF Inter
PCOV Eh
Sapperton Rovers
Surrey United
Vancouver Firefighters
West Van FC (aka I'm Serious! FC)
Westside FC Eh
Wickham FC

1st Div

22nd Ave Lions
CCFFC (aka Covercrete)
KLM Alemania
PCOV Lusitanos
Mermaids
Senior Idiots
SFU Royals
Shaheen SC
Vancouver United (aka Canterbury)
Westside FC Bulldogs

2nd Div

Bombastic SC Classic
Cliff Ave B
Metro Ford Ajax
New West Reds
PoCo Blues
PoCo Celtic
Romanian FC
SFU United
Surrey Dynamo
Lobbans

3rd Div

Caribbean Allstars (RIP Jim Logan)
C-Men United
Inter Steaua
Killarney Spurs
PCOV B (over 40s)
Ridge Shooters
Roma Rangers
Vancouver Eagles
Westside FC B (over 40s)

Who's missing? PAOK. No more Greeks in the league. Also noted that there appears to not be any movement between 2nd and 3rd Divisions, with the exception of Bombastic going up.

As mentioned above, there is a VMSL old farts meeting at the John B tonight; I intend to be helping to hold the railing down again. With the help of several other old farts, we will be trying to see how many times we can get WAzzi to say the magic words: "if you guys try to do that I'll quit.":D

Trece

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
On behalf of staff, I will wade into this a bit. Staff have it on good authority that Surrey United is going on a bit of a youth kick finally this year. The Cloverdale Rootin' Tootin' News is reporting imminent signings of 34ish Villars (former SU and Bby Canadians front man), central defender P. Hjorth (also SU alum) and can't remember his last name Mike from PAU Premier, a midfielder, and deep into the past an SU guy..

It has also been reported by the Commercial Drive FU Voice that yes, as Regs has reported on another thread, Oliver will be joining dad at Croatia Premier this year, but the Voice is issuing a warning that coaches have a shelf life similar to RF holding off of the Pacific Buffet at that club. The Voice is also reporting (again unconfirmed) that the Nations Cup MVP is returning to the #1 Azzuri side after spending the last two summers at Ambleside. Sapperton, according to the Former Location of BC Penitentiary ya screw Sun is reporting that the elder Favro brother, along with WhataboutBob, will be lacing up the boots for the over 35s this year out at Sapperton Park. The West Van side, according to the We are British and live on the water so go away you foreigner Sunday News has reportedly made 5 or 6 new signings of 35ish Prem players from the club(s).

And finally, the Richmond Asian Citizen is reporting (unconfirmed at this point), that Coach, distraught at his sides's inability to win a game at Nation's Cup, was unabashedly and desperately trying to recruit players (ie Parkhead) for his side's National Championship competition.

Staff report...much more to follow. For example, we are waiting on late breaking news from reporters from the South Slope don't tell me to fcuk off Gazette to report in.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Cloverdale Rootin' Tootin' News is reporting imminent signings of 34ish Darren Villars (former SU and Bby Canadians front man), central defender P. Hjorth (also SU alum) and can't remember his last name Mike fron PAU Premier, a midfielder, and deep into the past an SU guy
That's one of the funniest things I've seen posted on here lately! Ha Ha - how do you feel Pistol Pete? :D

I will transfer if Cainy brings out the singlet at training :D

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Staff do specialize in funny on this thread you know...

Yes SirM, but those are mostly looks...

Hot off the presses from the Burnaby Not Now, it has been reported that WVAn have had to sell D.Vaughn to PCOV to pay off his poker debts to a large number of individuals who may or may not have one eyebrow. Details at eleven...

Also, Anonymous Soccer Sources have confirmed that WAzzi thumped a boardroom table several times tonight, taking his frustrations out on someone who may or may not have been a spokesperson for SFoo. Another individual who may or may not have been formerly a member of the Sapp management team, also may or may not be currently representing SFoo.

Enquiring minds wanted to know...

Trece

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Results from the VMSL meeting tonight:

Surrey Dynamo from the 2nd Div swapped spots with Ridge Shooters from the 3rd Div (relegation/promotion)

Nobody wanted to swap spots with Westside B.

WAzzi actually didn't threaten to quit. He did do his best to confuse people even more with his "3 hands" explanation of how the CAT system works.:rolleyes:

More talk about the proposal to start up an over 40s division - looks like about 8 teams were interested for next year. Remains to be seen how many actually have the numbers to do this.

Meeting adjourned to downstairs.

Trece

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
and can't remember his last name Mike fron PAU Premier, a midfielder, and deep into the past an SU guy..

it seems he made a big impression on you at nations cup:p
did you just put "wee ginger shite" on the team list?

also...welcome aboard Pete!:rolleyes:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
My apologies about the forgetfulness to Aves and whatshisname (just kidding Mike C.) :p.

I will have to tell the Mrs...oh yeah, she doesn't cook...I will have to tell Conchita to stop cooking with aluminum pots it appears.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Selenium...

It's all about Selenium, SirM. One must needs also to cut down on one's consumption from aluminium beverage containers...

Trece

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ok thanks for that re-run advice Mrs. Sir M.

Mrs. Sir M has caught a flight out of YVR for a stay at the W off of Central Park at 730 PM this eve by the way.

At 0630 AM, the Audi hits the road for Kamloops. (Shhh, don't tell).

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For those keeping score at home, Westside B did make it out of the doldrums of the League to the 2nd division. What we didn't notice so much was where most of these mid-dwelling denizens play out of: Poco, Poco, SFU, Surrey, Coq, Cliff Ave. and Lobbans (as I recall) play a ways out there as well. Romania I'm not sure about. At any rate, I'll be looking into frequent flyer options on my credit cards this year...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lobbans = Larry Walker field, Maple Ridge.

Make sure your passport is up to date, Peter.:D

Happy frequent flying. You might want to trade in the monster glitz SUV for something a bit more mileage-friendly.

On the other hand, think of all the new pubs you get to hit up apres-games.

cheerz,

Trece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0