Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[VMSL Masters Div 2] Results & Banter 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
New West Reds 2 Covercrete 0

Thankfully, we finally broke our 7 game winless skid. It was a pretty decent day for footy, even though it was a bit chilly. The pitch at Port Moody Middle School was in pretty decent shape as well.

As far as the game goes, we got two good finishes from one of our strikers and generally held Covercrete in check for most of the game. They did ring one off the post in the 2nd half and I managed to hit a wonderful volley on a back pass (my best strike of the season!) that our keeper had to chest down to control :eek:

Great game by Behemoth in the back line....he dominated everything in the air.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Freddy:

Okay, what DID happen to the Bulldogs? Deena? Bueller? Bueller?

Some predictions:

A-Side:
Westside vs. winner of Covercrete/NW Reds (revenge for Covercrete?)
C-Men vs. SFU
Knights vs. winner of Van-United/Burnaby Wolves (because they'll be mad after we beat them again this weekend:D)
Ajax vs. PCOV

B-Side
Rangers vs. winner of Cracovia/Roma
Caribbean vs. Killarney
Cliff Ave vs. Ridge Shooters
Rainforest vs. Surrey Dynamo

Trickster

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Knights 1 Rangers 1

Evenly contested game on a pitch that resembled the cobble stoned streets of Gastown.

Knights went 1 up after about 30 mins, with Rangers equalizing in the 70th. Knights pushed for the win that would leave the titles destiny in their own hands to no avail. As long as we don't drop anymore points we should take the title. I'm not taking anything for granted though.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WS O's 1-0 Burnaby Wolves

A sludgefest at Quilchena. We finally got one midway through the second half on a sweet 5 (I think) pass play that covered the whole field and was finished nicely by Rick Rudolph. After that we plugged it out for the win. The Burnaby keeper wanted to fight our smallest forward after the game, what a tool!

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Burnaby keeper wanted to fight our smallest forward after the game, what a tool!

And would have lost . . .

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the missing front teeth, and uni-knuckle on each fist that should have tipped him off.

Trickster

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Willie Wanker

So it seems that that wanker Willie is up to his old tricks again. Seeing as this is HIS league and woe betide anyone who questions his authority.

The scoop: It appears that on the 15th Jan Cracovia played an ineligable player. The original result was 3-3, meaning that the Knights were 1 point behind the Rangers in the standings with the same amount of games played. The Knights and Rangers still had to play each other with the Knights needing a win (and then win all their remaining games) and Rangers only needing a tie (and then win all their remaining games). This game took place on 31st Jan with result ending in a tie, meaning Rangers were in the driving seat. Yesterday Willie and his band of merry men make the decision that Cracovia were in the wrong so Knights get a default win.

Whilst the decision is a correct one. They could have made this prior to this past weekend when there was effectively a title decider being played.

My rant for the day.

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trickster, while I agree with you that the decision could have, absolutely, been made earlier, I'd like to add a couple of points of clarification (having been at the game in protest and being involved with the Knights management group... if you can call it a group)

- the Knights were made aware of the issue immediately after the game by the referee who stated that he was going to document it in his referee's report.

- the referee suggested that as he was putting it in his game report we might want to protest it.

- the Knights did protested it to Willie, who insisted on a $50 protest fee :confused: and told us it the protest would not be reviewed until the first week of February because "that's when the league exec's next meeting".

- apparently the Rangers were aware of this as they were informed by Cracovia when they played them, a week before Ranger vs Knights game.

- while it hadn't yet been posted on the Excellent Site, simple grade 3 mathematics could have easily deduced the actual standings, post adjustment.

So in conclusion, yes, it may appear he's up to his old tricks again, but then again, from what I've heard, the Rangers knew about it before our game against them.

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
They could have made this prior to this past weekend when there was effectively a title decider being played.

I agree that this was a simple decision to make, and could have/should have been made right away.

But, it still wouldn't have made a difference. The game was a must win for either side. It is crazy to think the Rangers were playing for or were satisfied to tie, and then count on winning the rest of their 5 games.

number2

Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that this was a simple decision to make, and could have/should have been made right away.

But, it still wouldn't have made a difference. The game was a must win for either side. It is crazy to think the Rangers were playing for or were satisfied to tie, and then count on winning the rest of their 5 games.

Well said Freddy. Both teams wanted & needed the win... and a cold one after the game.

deenav69

Feb 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
ok, ok I've been avoiding post on here, in the hopes that I wouldn't jinx us, well after the black cat that fell on my head as I walked under ladder, what else could happen, oops I think I just jinxed me again...

some tough games, with tougher results...But a growing injury list is starting to hurt.

starting with 10 in Maple Ridge, and ending with 9, brought a result that certainly could have been avoided.
The late arrival rule really hurt us here. Surely a clause can be added so that the 11th player doesn't have to wait until the 2nd half to play...

bad omens all around...pun fully intended...

freddy

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is a rediculous rule. Why the F did FIFA come up with that one? Do professionals show up late? It seems like it is a rule to punish small amateur teams. I suppose if you think there is merit to it, apply it to Open Premier and that is it. The rest of us are just out to get a run in.

On the positive side, though, if your team works anything like ours, if someone didn't show up on time and we were down a man, they would be fined at least a dozen beer in Kangaroo Court. Free beer for the rest of us.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk, is this just the Westside forum now, or can the rest of us get a word in edgewise?

Nice last-minute scheduling change by The Most Excellent League to have us punted off of Hastings to McBride of all places. Most of my players have never been that far west before, and some of them have asked me if they need to bring their passports...:rolleyes:

No. 2 - prepare to be kicked and then still owe me a beer. I'm still ticked at Dieter for last week's result, so I'm going to take it out on the closest target...:D Not sure how many bodies we're going to be able to dredge up, but we're still going to try to put a large dent in your goal difference...

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is a rediculous rule. Why the F did FIFA come up with that one? Do professionals show up late? It seems like it is a rule to punish small amateur teams. I suppose if you think there is merit to it, apply it to Open Premier and that is it. The rest of us are just out to get a run in.

You're bang on Freddy....why couldn't they just make it so that the player has to bring his card on to the pitch when he subs on?

Too much regulation of things that don't need to be regulated at our lowly level....

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of a lowly level, that was us on Sunday.

McBride sucked. Almost as much as it sucked having to play against the Knights with only 10 players. Too many guys out injured or with work or family commitments pared us down from our roster of 22...:eek:

That said, it was still fun to go out and lurch through the mud. Howie got in more of a run than he ever wanted, and our #3 keeper & sweeper played a great game to help us keep it respectable at 3-0. We would love to play against these guys with a full side, though, and preferably on a real soccer pitch (game #1 @ Montgomery in the sandbox, game #2 @ McBride in the mud pit). No. 2 stayed safely out of kicking range, but we hoisted a couple together for Keeper afterward. Also good to catch up with some old Wetsider farts who I haven't see for far too long (Ingo, Atts, Wheels, Don, et al). Even the gendarmes weren't too obnoxious as they let us put stuff away instead of pinching it.

Next weekend back at a real pitch for possibly the last time before it gets trashed for the "temporary" stadium...

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
VMSL, WTF?

Two weeks in a row now we've had our game location and time changed within 48 hours of kick-off. Last time was due to a mistake by the parks board staff, but this week the field isn't closed; there's just a funky blue last-minute change on the website that I wouldn't have caught unless I was checking in on it tonight.:mad:

Somebody at the Most Excellent League has a LOT of explaining to do.:mad:

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece...good job by your team today, no bench and injuries and you hung on for the tie, team showed some character....we (Port Moody Oldtimers....played on the field before your game)were watching your game from the dugout...even though the other team had all the possession you did not break down (my god they had some terrible shooters) the funniest one was the guy that took the free kick from the edge of the 18 and passed it to himself and then realized he could not touch it again ....classic.... I tried coming over to introduce myself before the game but you were too busy with the line-up...next time!

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
oldtimer - thanks for the props. Yeah, that was a tough one. Lucky for us that Lusos have a tendency to want to make everything in the last 3rd of the field overcomplicated. A good friend of mine was playing for the South Slope team, so I filled in babysitting for him pre-game. Next time, come over and grab a cold one; fellow TTPers are always welcome at our cooler.

I did see a bit of your game; had a chuckle about your ref missing the home team putting the ball in the back of the net and then the ensuing melee - who says that there's no passion in the game after 55?:D

Nice to have a decent ref once in a while (hi Rene!:D).

Much entertainment was provided by Niall's dog tearing across the field dragging a lawn chair behind him; enough so that Rene had to stop the game while the dog was chased down and caught. 0-0 at the half; stayed that way despite numerous chances for Lusos that went begging due to a bit of smart defending and some abysmal finish.:D A few injuries in the 2nd half with us losing one of our strikers (Howie pulled his goalie - again) and them losing midfielders. Noticed ironically that despite them having enough subs to cycle their guys, that they had at least 3 guys cramping up as the half went on while our physical specimens :)rolleyes:) managed to avoid that. 0-0 final score; on to settle a couple of scores with CAI, hopefully with a bit fuller lineup.

azzurri

Oct 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trece:

Nice Cup draw for your side, eh?

We have the long route again...2nd year in a row that we have to play the preliminary round :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0