Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Masters Solution

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, lighten up you are getting grumpy I was teasing. As far as Super League the super league question, that proposal was to have the top few teams from the FVSL/VMSL etc blend into one super league if I recall.

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't believe a merger of the FVSL and VMSL Masters is a viable option. That would entail way too much travel and it's already hard enough for VMSL teams to get to Ambeside for a 7:30pm kickoff on a Friday night, let alone South Surrey.

For the longevity of the VMSL Masters League, I believe reshuffling the deck and having 2 divisions of 14 teams is the best option. Short term pain for long term gain. The weaker teams will get better.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there really an issue though? With Van Utd going up, there may be 8 decent teams in Prem next year. That's 21 decent matches where you won't have to worry about Falconetti-ing a team. Having 8 teams for the short term may be better than having 10 with two gimmes, or six gimmes if you went the route of 14 teams. Maybe the key is to downsize M1 to 8 teams for a couple of seasons and that may make the division more competitive?

ASSMAN

Sep 9, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why not have FVSL play everyone in there division twice with the VMSL doing the same thing and then do a crossover. This way your not playing the same team three times and you get to see how you match up against each other.

ASSMAN

Sep 9, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not at all...Everything stays the same,the only difference is you get to play against the VMSL. I think it would create a buzz around both leagues and it could make things interesting in the standings. I know we would rather have a chance to play the likes of Westside,PCOV etc.
Instead of playing a third game against a team in our league. It seems like it would be simple to do but, maybe not.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A couple of things that might have some bearing on this...
  1. Next season, VMSL's over 40 divisions are supposedly moving to over 45. Current players are to be grandfathered in, but anyone new will have to meet that hard age limit. This might increase the pool of "competitive" minded (it is Masters' soccer, FFS) players who might otherwise be tempted to jump up to the over 40 level if they still have to wait another 5 years.
  2. There is no way that consolidating the 3 VMSL over 35 divisions into 2 would work. There is too much of a disparity between Division 1 and Division 2 - teams at the bottom are pretty much purely recreational and the lumpings would be really bad. There was a big difference from top to bottom in Div. 2 last season, and the jump up to Div. 1 was really a large one.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not that it would ever work, but...

The idea is similar to the Super League concept, but the motivations are completely different.

In that case, I think the intent was to create something better in open that was truly representative geographically across the Lower Mainland. In then end, I think lack of a true written plan (to me, this was the biggest issue), combined with some close minded power-plays by influential individuals kiboshed it all.

In this case, it seems that you have two leagues w/ two MP divisions that are getting stale, and with currently a lack of players willing to commit to the higher competition. So it would appear you could quite "easily" come up with a combined solution that should be attractive to those still interested in competing at the M1 level.

Not that I think it will happen, and not that I truly care, other than having a fun debate here to otherwise keep me from stabbing myself in the eyes with every-day mundane work.

I think this:

"Why not have FVSL play everyone in there division twice with the VMSL doing the same thing and then do a crossover. This way your not playing the same team three times and you get to see how you match up against each other."

Is a great idea.

Dancin Bear

Oct 26, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there really an issue though? With Van Utd going up, there may be 8 decent teams in Prem next year. That's 21 decent matches where you won't have to worry about Falconetti-ing a team. Having 8 teams for the short term may be better than having 10 with two gimmes, or six gimmes if you went the route of 14 teams. Maybe the key is to downsize M1 to 8 teams for a couple of seasons and that may make the division more competitive?

This apparently isn't happening after all.......honestly don't see what the problem is combining both. Play twice in your own respective divisions and crossover once. It's better for both leagues and certainly makes things interesting.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
errrr. you're still not really solving anything. If you can't be bothered to lump the Falconetties, what makes it better doing it to Poco? (sorry @Yoda) the only viable solution is for the VMSL top 4 or 5 to quit and join the FVSL and we can make 4 spots available. Easy Peasy.

I'll get the napkins to sign.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you can't be bothered to lump the Falconetties, what makes it better doing it to Poco?.

Um, because it's Poco? We could even change our name to the Castilians to keep the streak alive.
I'll even bring out all my Castilians gear and wear it, just to make it seem legit.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts