Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

vmsl over 35's

Status
Not open for further replies.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
new stuff?

CSide:

Had a nice chat with Jim last night; looks like CAS will be joining the WCOTSL for next season. Jim sounded very happy; I guess they were considering not being able to play this winter.

Fonzie:

No word yet from VMSL about what their next step is. WCOTSL is having its AGM on Saturday morning (10 am @ the Hose & Hydrant); the topic will definitely come up. Haven't heard anything from Neil Fuge lately either, so don't know if the subject came up at the FVSL meeting. Anybody know? Anymore talk about interlocking?

Piece,

Stew:cool:

Vinnie

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
VMSL & O-35s

Reports at the VMSL AGM stated that there was alot of intial interest in an O-35 league. But, when it came time for a meeting between the League and the interested parties, there were not very many team reps in attendence. The VMSL stated enfatically they were not interested in pilaging from the other leagues, but only they know their really intensions.

Other things that came up during the meeting that will affect teams are:

Soccer, in general, is losing quality fields. The league was looking into setting up a committee to attend Vancouver Parks board meetings. This only applies to Vacouver based teams but may include other municipalities in the future. We are losing fields to other sports because they have greater representation at the meetings. I beleive that if this league comes to be that other leagues should look at joining in. This does affect everyone.

Secondly, is the issue of refs. THere is a shortage of refs in the lower mainland not to mention quality refs. We, the soccer community, should be putting great efforts into encouraging younger and older players to become refs. Again this benefits us all.

Cheers
Vinnie

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI time.....

Vinnie:

There has already been an organization for the last 3 years attempting to push the Vancouver Parks Board about this topic. It's called the Vancouver Field Sports Federation, and currently is headed by Colin Metcalfe (yes, him again). Their latest push is to try to get the Parks Board to build an artificial turf field at Trillium Park (the vacant land across Malkin Dr. from Strathcona Park) targetted for soccer.

Colin has been pushing for quite a while (since his last attempt at getting elected to the Parks Board) as a soccer lobbyist, and frequently attempts to get soccer folk out to their meetings to represent the sport. As far as I know, the only VMSL connection (and not in an official capacity) to VFSF has been Rino, and he's well known for his eloquence.:rolleyes: Other adult leagues (and kids' leagues) are also represented. The joys of life in a vacuum...
:rolleyes:

Regarding refs, Dominic Murphy has been working with the young'uns at our club (ICSF) and trying to develop them a bit better. Unfortunately, this won't pay off for at least 10 years, but it's a step in the right direction. The real trick is to try to convince more of the guys playing premier ball to pick up their ref tickets, and then dump the old boys' club that reffing turns into. More frequent assessments of the geezers wouldn't hurt, either.

Back on topic...... CSide, how much restructuring will you need to do?

Piece,

fonzie

Aug 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
??

Any new news on this topic?

Is this dead-in-the-water or is the VMSL going to go ahead?

Does the lack of teams at the meeting indicate that there's no genuine interest?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
no new news newly stated......

Fonzie:

This topic did come up at our (WCOTSL) AGM, but it looks as if all of the clubs represented by teams in our league are going to stay put. The other thing that happened is that our new president (Carlos Grosso from PCOV) and a couple of other delegates will be talking to Bernie and his mates on the North Shore about this with the idea of taking a common front to our good friend Mr. Azzi and attempting to set him on the straight and narrow.

As things sit right now, we haven't heard anything else about the VMSL's plans for this fall.

Wait and see time.......

Piece,

futbol

Jun 24, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Heard a hot little rumour last night that Columbus over 30's and the Firemen over 30's are joining the valley over 35's league this upcoming season. The source was somebody high up in the Columbus camp.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scoop Regs here.

WCOT to become new VMSL O35s starting next year.

This is what I am told is going to happen. Sounds a bit better than the rumours last summer of the VMSL butting heads with everyone.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

~Regs.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scoop

I won't deny that there have been talks, but nothing's been agreed to yet. There are a LOT of issues that would have to be worked out first before anything like that would be able to happen. Truth be known, there have been ongoing talks with the FVSL as well over the concept of an interlock between the two leagues (that's FVSL Masters and WCOTSL) during the course of the winter.

Superlative? I guess it really depends on one's perspective. Mine's actually quite a bit more cynical, so my thoughts on the subject may be excused because of that. Yes, it would be nice to quit fighting about this, but it would also be nice to have whirled peas, a good job and a secure future as well.

I like the concept of having more teams to play against, but we do have a growth plan (honest, it's not a tumour!) of our own that doesn't necessarily include amalgamation with anybody else. It's not that it's a bad thing; it's just like "Free trade;" you have to get the best deal possible for the people you represent.

Beers,

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Stew,

I was just guessing. Couldn't figure out a way to get some of you legends to start posting again so I thought I'd try this route :D

BTW, I don't know how useful it is for some of you, but TTP has the standings for the "big 3" legend leagues side-by-side on the front page:

http://www.takethepiss.com

Cheers,

~Regs.

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
excellent

I find it very useful ~regs~. I like being able to see the standings without toggling to much through the net....plus it keeps me on TTP a lot longer.......

Stew et al,

I personally would love to see games between all of us. Maybe with all these new turf fields and teams in the O35's playing Friday nights, it might actually happen. I say we all go for the idea of interlocking play. That means more hop like beverages after hard fought battles .....:D

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs the Troll

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans..."

Yeah, you suckered me in good on that one; I'd intended to get back to posting anyway, but had just been busy lately. Kids' soccer commitments do that to you, as well as league meetings, disciplinary hearings, practices, and the rest of the crap that one has to put up with. Oh, and did I mention that I occasionally have to show up at work too?:D

Really like the idea of the standings being up; it gives us all some more exposure. I'd actually been noticing it for a while. The only thing I'd nitpick about would be to mention that this is only the Premier division for the WCOTSL (there are 3 others as well).

Not sure what it is about the majority of players in our league not wanting to post. Last time I checked, there were only a handful (myself, Peter, Scottyshell, Gaffa, coolhead, Pylon, Craigo, hedkandi, England) that I knew of, and the last 3 not being very active lately. It's odd, because I definitely get a lot of feedback about the league's website (and I did post a link to TTP on it over a year ago, unlike the grumpy FVSL).

Who can say what's going to happen re mergers/interlocks?

I'll keep you posted......

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interlock.......

The NSCL currently has one team a week with a bye, and an extra park on Sunday am, up at Interriver, just over the 2nd Narrows Bridge. We are trying to hang on to the park to get a new team in the league next year, so the bye team has to get a team to exhibition with. Would be great if one of you Friday night masters is interested in going against our league, gets tiring seeing the same old faces....myself, Cside or Johnno are the ones to talk to...any takers? Let us know, we can get you a list of the teams that are coming up for that slot.

lupoman:wa:

lupomandancinafteraninterlockgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0