Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL] Premier 2023/2024 Predictions, Results & Banter

whistle blower

Mar 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure if Thumper's post is correct ?

The VMSL Referee's are asking for a raise and negotiations are happening between the VMSL board and the Referee's Committee ( The VMSL Board asked for this committee to be formed in a zoom meeting with the ref's before the season started)

As all negotiations go there is a deference of opinion's on both sides. Both sides are representing there members very well and so far there is no agreement.

I stepped down from the referee committee due to personal issues but I am informed of all the correspondence between the VMSL and the Referee committee. The Referee fees should of been raised on a regular basis to keep up with every day cost more regularly and now we are all just trying to catch up and that’s why in my opinion the amount asked by referees seemed to be inflated. When I first started refereeing in 1997 the referee was paid $50.00 for a middle, we all wore black uniforms, we were not expected to carry around multicolored uniforms till the early 2000's. We were also not paying $1:80 for a liter of gas, now we are expected to take games all over the lower mainland, traveling to the game takes longer now due to traffic as well. We were not expected to pay for parking either or do multiple games a day. Clubs and teams have constantly increased their fees due to cost of operating the teams, but referees are frowned upon when even trying to discuss an increase. Weekly we are held to a standard that is set by players - coaches - and executives who are not qualified to make judgements or constantly question the referee's ability to referee - experience - and in my case on one occasion my integrity.

The one thing that is concerning is that young referees are being threatened by certain people from the VMSL Board that if they support the Referee committee they will not be giving games in the VMSL in the future. It is already hard enough to retain young referees and this behavior is not acceptable.

My suggestion for the 2023-2024 season fee structure is

1. Premier Open - Premier Masters - $130.00 for Referee - $75.00 For AR's
2. All other Divisions $110.00 for Referee - $65.00 for AR's

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure if Thumper's post is correct ?

The VMSL Referee's are asking for a raise and negotiations are happening between the VMSL board and the Referee's Committee ( The VMSL Board asked for this committee to be formed in a zoom meeting with the ref's before the season started)

As all negotiations go there is a deference of opinion's on both sides. Both sides are representing there members very well and so far there is no agreement.

I stepped down from the referee committee due to personal issues but I am informed of all the correspondence between the VMSL and the Referee committee. The Referee fees should of been raised on a regular basis to keep up with every day cost more regularly and now we are all just trying to catch up and that’s why in my opinion the amount asked by referees seemed to be inflated. When I first started refereeing in 1997 the referee was paid $50.00 for a middle, we all wore black uniforms, we were not expected to carry around multicolored uniforms till the early 2000's. We were also not paying $1:80 for a liter of gas, now we are expected to take games all over the lower mainland, traveling to the game takes longer now due to traffic as well. We were not expected to pay for parking either or do multiple games a day. Clubs and teams have constantly increased their fees due to cost of operating the teams, but referees are frowned upon when even trying to discuss an increase. Weekly we are held to a standard that is set by players - coaches - and executives who are not qualified to make judgements or constantly question the referee's ability to referee - experience - and in my case on one occasion my integrity.

The one thing that is concerning is that young referees are being threatened by certain people from the VMSL Board that if they support the Referee committee they will not be giving games in the VMSL in the future. It is already hard enough to retain young referees and this behavior is not acceptable.

My suggestion for the 2023-2024 season fee structure is

1. Premier Open - Premier Masters - $130.00 for Referee - $75.00 For AR's
2. All other Divisions $110.00 for Referee - $65.00 for AR's
We all hope your injury’s from wear & tear
From playing and referring heal
We wish you the best

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For a $103,000 award an appeal was risky, although it's possible I assume a home insurance policy is in play.
I couldn't see any grounds for appeal and the three judge panel agrees with Take the Piss posters.

B.C.’s highest court has turfed an appeal of a $103,000 award handed to a B.C. man seriously injured in a recreational soccer game.

70c8fc80

In March 2023, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled that Karl Cox was liable for a slide tackle in a May 2018 game in North Vancouver that left David Miller with a grade-three shoulder dislocation.

The judge found that while the tackle was legal under game rules, Cox was negligent in his execution of the move.

Cox appealed to the B.C. Court of Appeal, arguing that trial judge Justice Wendy Baker erred in her assessment of the relevant standard of care, and that her reasons for judgment reflected “palpable and overriding error.”

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

This article mentions home or tenant insurance but it's not a slam dunk that your insurer will step up. In the case we're talking about I speculated earlier that appealing a $100,000 award was risky and possibly an insurer has taken on the defense here.

Court ruling a cautionary tale: Check your insurance before signing up for a recreation sports league

"A B.C. court case that found a recreational soccer player liable for his opponent's injury has set a standard for future acts of recreational recklessness."

Get the latest from Patrick Johnston straight to your inboxSign Up
Author of the article:
Patrick Johnston
Published Jan 05, 2024

“People who play contact sports recreationally are often covered by their home insurance or renter’s insurance for ‘negligence’, which would normally include reckless conduct in a sports game. Players who don’t have home/renter’s insurance should definitely consider getting it,” he added.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enough about the fcuking refs - always about them, eh? ...

Since Columbus as a club moved to the FVSL, they have been on a heater across all divisions (except those trailblazers at O55).

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enough about the fcuking refs - always about them, eh? ...

Since Columbus as a club moved to the FVSL, they have been on a heater across all divisions (except those trailblazers at O55).

have they?

1704822921938.png

GoF

Apr 29, 2012
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's the chances of the Premier games being on on Friday? Do the severe minus temperatures get taken into account for players' safety?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0