Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier [VMSL Premier] Results & Banter March 08'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrecking Crew

Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
metro ford 2-1 over croatia
clanbus 4-0 over delta

side by side premier games at hastings bowl provided the best atmosphere in years and it begs the question...why wouldn't the league approach the city to improve the pitches, add 2 more changerooms, throw in a concession stand and actually create some interest in the games with double headers? oh that's right, it makes sense and would actually require some forward thinking so no chance!!!

too bad 'cause it would make some great sunday afternoon footy!
wc

laylow

Sep 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sporting 4-2 WVFC

Pretty sloppy game overall...

0-0 at half. We went up 1-0 10 mins in Jinky with a dangerous free kick and their defender put it in his own net, they tied it 5 mins later with a ball over top,then they went up 2-1 on a scrappy own goal. Milad tied it about 10 mins later...2-2 and both teams going for it, they get there 3rd when their right mid steps over our full back on the side of the 18 yard box..shoves him down into the turf..(don't know how thats not a foul, although im sure they will say it wasnt) then their guy cuts the ball across the 6 and they score to go up 3-2.

We are then pushing for the last 15 mins to get the tying goal...and with about 3 to go we get caught at the back and they get a break away and finish off the game.

Hopefully we have 2 more times to pay them back...if we get the job done against Surrey next week and they beat Indo.

Walks did a good job in the middle...besides the one missed call for the 3rd goal.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
My view of this game was that Sporting were a bit more experienced and had that in their pocket to overcome WV in the end, who are still at the beginning of the learning curve. WV were more dangerous on the attack, but Sporting were much better organized in the back. Congrats to Sporting on the win. Hopefully a rematch or two coming up.

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My view of this game was that Sporting were a bit more experienced and had that in their pocket to overcome WV in the end, who are still at the beginning of the learning curve. WV were more dangerous on the attack, but Sporting were much better organized in the back. Congrats to Sporting on the win. Hopefully a rematch or two coming up.

This was our third time playing for the league title and our first win. It's been a long time coming and puts a cap on a great season for us. Now it's time for the "BIG Cups". Some bad blood between the teams but overall a hard fought battle. Off to the roller after I sanitize the cup, right "G" and KNVB? :knvb:

laylow

Sep 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

Ya have to agree...we definitely missed Doddy (susp) and Nico (away)...as well as Shorty for just 25 mins cuz of sickness....They will be all be back for Imperial Cup semi and Provs and that will be a big boost that we need, as the experience they bring along with Jinky is big for our team.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
as well,HLEUCKS you owe me...i put a "hunni" that you would two-foot slide tackle someone at the 5 mins mark when you came in and you didn't until the 18th on JOMO on the the far side:(....what makes it worst is that i lost it to fat CORAZZA:mad:...
Sorry, had I known there was pints on it I would have put more effort into it.... and for the record, the only two foot thing about that tackle was how high Jomo jumped.

Congrats Sporting, long time coming indeed... and if you value your lives in any way you will not drink out of that cup. ;)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 96

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cheers for the 3:02am sing song boys. Classic stuff. :D

JB the next Canadian Idol?

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey KNVB, we took the cup with us to the roller because we didn't feel like walking all the way to the bathroom. :knvb:

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gilmour,

I think that's already done, I believe we get a bye in the first round for winning the league, but I may be wrong.

And by the way, we got past the first round last year and lost to Firefighters in PK's in the Quarterfinals.

Seds

Sep 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan is to stay in the premiership...

Norvan 1 - Westside 0

In typical Norvan fashion - we came out still standing, but it wasn't pretty. I have to be honest that we've had difficulty fielding a regular starting 11, given sickness and injury. Tonight was no different, but we played a solid game and came out victorious.

I would say that Westside should be commended for their efforts to play possession for the full ninety, whereas we were more concerned with countering on their turnovers, which actually worked quite well for us. Once Westside attempted to play a ball through the middle, it would usually result in a tackle by a Norvan player. We played very effectively, given that we needed a tie or win to stay in premier. That said, we never really rested on our laurels - there were other opportunities for insurance markers (myself included), but we were unlucky not to capitalize. I will say that there were golden chances for Westside to get the equalizer, but we got the bounces tonight.

The lone goal came off a perfect free kick from in the first half from Greg Muire who played it on to the head of Max Baesatto who directed to the top far corner off the cross bar - keeper had no chance. Second half, the momentum changed as a result of a Westside red card (2 yellows) for one of their defenders. That made it more difficult for them, but of course given our diabolical performance against Crotia, I was still a little concerned. We still stood strong and never really gave up too many chances, expect for one that they really should have finished at about the 80th minute where their striker (Colin) redirected a cross from the right over the bar from within the 6. That was about it - nothing pretty, as expected.

All in all a tumultuous season, featuring a 5-game suspension for our coaches, several players moving away midseason, the coach being removed by the squad, and a late stretch with multiple injuries and sicknesses. Pretty tough to deal with when you have limited numbers. Our only saving grace was our core group. Next year, we would love to add players to our core (***Indo, Sapperton, and Westside - my prediction :) ), who are willing to put in their time in training and commit themselves to the squad. We'll see how that works out. It's too bad we're done now, but at least we'll still be in the premier next year. This summer will be key for us. Cheers TTP! Good luck to everyone in provincials!

Seds

Seds

Sep 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
metro ford 2-1 over croatia
clanbus 4-0 over delta

side by side premier games at hastings bowl provided the best atmosphere in years and it begs the question...why wouldn't the league approach the city to improve the pitches, add 2 more changerooms, throw in a concession stand and actually create some interest in the games with double headers? oh that's right, it makes sense and would actually require some forward thinking so no chance!!!

too bad 'cause it would make some great sunday afternoon footy!
wc

This is the best suggestion I've ever heard for the premiership. I grew up on the North Shore, watching Norvan play as I ate my meat pie alongside hundreds of other spectators at Kinsmen stadium (yes, it was actually a stadium back in the day!). I think this would be our ideal vision but at Hastings Bowl. Can I get some feedback from you guys? Should this be floated to the group in another forum?

What would you guys say to my moving forward with this? I don't want to bore you with my background but I think that I could probably play a strong leadership role with this, and I am definitely willing to see this through. I have a good deal of experience in various positions over the course of my career, which I won't get into at this time, but I think I have the wherewithal to push this concept through. Is anyone else interested in helping me? If so, e-mail me at nicholas_seddon@hotmail.com.

I would love to form a small committee of a group of people who would be interested in helping me develop a business plan which would be presented to Azzi and the VMSL, the BCSA, the Whitecaps organization, and the Vancouver Parks Board.

Just think about the idea of having a pristine, well-maintained pitch to play on with excellent facilities and the opportunity to watch your buddies (or rivals) from other teams play. Although I never played in the Italian league, it sounds like this would be quite similar in that you play all your games on the park that all the other team play at. There would be sponsorship opportunities (advertising boards like West Van did this year - heck, I'd consider dropping $500 on my business to support this), nominal admission fee for spectators ($3-5 for 4 games played at 12 and 2 - the Croatian fans could probably finance this entire ordeal alone!), and a concession that features food and drink (a beer garden would be ideal, but that would depend on whether we could get an SOL through the police department, which would probably require us to hire security). I think that this could give the VMSL premier league some considerable status, especially if we could get Global, the Sun/Province, and whoever else would be interested to report on our league. These are some of my thoughts.

Anyways, thanks to Wrecking Crew for throwing this out there. I realize there may be a lot of red tape with this, but I think there is quite a bit of potential for this idea. Thoughts?

Seds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0