Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL Scheduling all 2008 provincial cup games on turf?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just had a look at the scheds for VMSL home teams in the 2008 provincial cups (open, u21, masters) and every single one is a turf field.

Is anyone else finding this hard to believe? What is the point of getting "home field" advantage if the league puts you on a pitch that is not your home field and not even the same surface?

As an example, in the Masters, Sapp is playing on Van Tech School Turf - have they ever stepped foot on this pitch? In the Open, Inter & Croatia are also to use this field as their "home" pitch.

If the league is going to do this, why do we not go back to the way it was a decade or so ago and have all first and second round games at the same venue?

I just don't get it.

:mad:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs are the grass fields even available to soccer after the end of March, turf might be the only thing that is not being used for softball or baseball, many of the Cities are taking down the nets for April.

From my side, I don't mind it, one we play on it all year, two you don't get an 18 yard box looking like a war zone at the end of the season. But I do believe the game should be played on grass if possible, but that just isn't the case in the Lower Mainland any more.

Ableside turf is probably a lot better than BLT, I think.

hos

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
I guess my point is that it doesn't seem like it is a team decision anymore. It is quite obvious that the league itself is assigning the fields.

As crappy as Sapperton Park is, it IS their home park for the season, no?

I'm pretty sure that Cloverdale Athletic Park has at least 3 grass fields that could have been used for games if the league is assigning fields themselves. You could have put every VMSL-based home game there over a single weekend.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looks like the only team that could actually have home field advantage is Sooke!!! :eek:

Getoverit!!! :D Homos!!! :cool:

SCK

May 2, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Suck it up princess Turf is better.

Obviously you haven't played at BLT lately...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Van Tech turf field is SOOOOOOOO small.
the 18 yard line is maybe 10 yards from the centre line circles. Very short field.
I can't see any mens teams playing there.

What ever happened to soccer on Grass.

viva summer soccer (on grass)

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sapp actually had a "home" field booked only to be trumped by the league. They never even called me to ask if I could get my own field. I used to argue this with the executive once in a while, but it's just a waste of time and effort.

BLT is still a great surface, I figure they can get another 10 years out of it - then pack in more rubber pellets and paint it green.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We should all talk to HOSE about getting more of those high tech turf pitches from ZZZZZZZZZZZZGermans.

Those are nice fields!

hos

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0