Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

West Van FC U21 to FVSL Premier

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's official and a done deal.

West Van U21 League and Provincial Cup winning team are joining the FVSL and will be playing in the Premier division.

Word is they were not happy with the VMSL and some dealings concerning the Vancouver Olympics / North Delta Div 1 spot.

Early news but rumour of the whole club moving over to the FVSL, including the current VMSL Premier team.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
I did it from here in Surrey to there for 10 years including training, not just games... it's really not that big of a deal.

The largest issue in terms of travel they'll have are with Friday night games. Those will be a bitch if the league doesn't make sure the earliest KO for their away games is past say 8:00PM

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seriously?

I'm a FVSL fan, but that is kinda fcuked up. That is going to make for some long-ass road trips. Maybe not a big deal for the kids playing Premier- after all, when you are playing that level, you are committing a lot to the efort, including 2-3 nights a week training on top of playing- but I'm thinking of the other teams. No way I can see masters coming over. Not a chance.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
They must be one hell of a team, to go U21 straight to Premier, good on them.
Not even the best U-21 team of the last few years, as the Guildford FC U-21 team was better. They beat West Van repeatedly on their route to back-to-back U-21 Provincial Championship seasons. Then they moved to VMSL Div 2, won promotion to D1 and the Provincial B Cup.

How do the top FVSL D1 teams that didn't get promoted feel about WVFC U-21's parachuting in?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
It doesn't affect that stuff as premier was short a team AND North Delta is leaving

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
How do the top FVSL D1 teams that didn't get promoted feel about WVFC U-21's parachuting in?

Obviously it doesn't matter what FVSL d1 teams think, I'm sure the league wouldn't even care as they've got wvfc now!

If wvfc are very good and are just using this as an easier route for A cup, And get knocked out in Rd 1 or even 2 I can see them maybe packing up and going back to the vmsl to play tough games week in n week out ... Kinda how poco stacked it few years back and after beating teams in prem 6,7,8-0 they didn't even make it to the final of A cup, guys went back to vmsl...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Obviously it doesn't matter what FVSL d1 teams think, I'm sure the league wouldn't even care as they've got wvfc now!

If wvfc are very good and are just using this as an easier route for A cup, And get knocked out in Rd 1 or even 2 I can see them maybe packing up and going back to the vmsl to play tough games week in n week out ... Kinda how poco stacked it few years back and after beating teams in prem 6,7,8-0 they didn't even make it to the final of A cup, guys went back to vmsl...

I think you are confused. West Van's top players will still be playing VMSL Premier. This is their B team made up of graduates from their U-21 program.

jimmy_jones

Jan 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think you are confused. West Van's top players will still be playing VMSL Premier. This is their B team made up of graduates from their U-21 program.
no I'm not, maybe wvfc B was convinced (told) they'd get a shot at entering A cup (easier than via vmsl) and if they happen to be great and runaway with the league as did poco few years back then maybe as I said above...will they have a second team entering the FVSL as well or they planning on playing prem as an independent club..

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Most Div 1 teams in the FVSL appear to be 'feeders' to teams already in Prem.

I wouldn't be surprised if all those teams were asked to go up and they turned it down.

Clearly, something happened between the VMSL and WVFC to make them perhaps - for lack of a better term - test the waters.

It will be interesting to see if any other VMSL clubs follow suit...

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What options did WestVan have in vmsl?
They had a graduating top team from u21,
Either merge with a div1 team. Or go straight in to div3. I don't believe they wanted to play div3 soccer. So to keep the team together and in the club, they needed a competitive division.
Great move on both sides. Fvsl gets a quality club with a strong u22 team. WVFC gets to keep their guys together and under A cup as well. They now have two teams in the A cup. Brilliant depth they have now at WestVan. Good on them.

What are you thinking happened Regs?
Vmsl would not create a spot for them in a higher division. Probably offered CAT up, but who wants to play CAT right?

Clubs are looking to structure themselves for all level of players. WVFC first team is stacked and probably not many openings for first team spots. and these kids needed somewhere to play after having a successful u21 year. Where would you suggest they play? Now they can have graduating players play on their B team which is prem soccer. Very nice for their club.
I don't believe there was major drama. Just a solid team looking for a competitive league to play in. WestVan wants to keep this group together. Who wouldn't.
(Just like guildford did)

JimmyJ, where in your right mind do you think WestVan B (u22) will run away with the FVSL premier league? I hope you know your local soccer better then that.
No way they graduate from u21 to take over the valley.

Good moves for one of the best clubs around. Now they have a home for all levels! A, B and u21

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I dunno what happened.

If I were to guess, WVFC was probably told they couldn't buy the Div 1 spot (as I don't think you are allowed to actually purchase spots, even though we all know that's what happens, nudge nudge, wink wink) and were pissed that instead of keeping the spot in-house (VMSL), the VMSL allowed an outsider to come in and take it?

Who knows, as I said, I'm guessing here.

4thplacetrophy

Mar 3, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not even the best U-21 team of the last few years, as the Guildford FC U-21 team was better. They beat West Van repeatedly on their route to back-to-back U-21 Provincial Championship seasons. Then they moved to VMSL Div 2, won promotion to D1 and the Provincial B Cup.

I know myself and a few others I've spoke to from westcoast are welcoming of them coming across. With delta leaving, and Chilliwack (3rd in div 1 last year) already coming up to replace coastal who else was going to take that spot? Like someone else pointed out, most div 1 teams in the valley are made up of feeder teams for the premier sides.

On the travel aspect, it won't matter as much to the valley teams as we'll be going out there possibly 2 or 3 times a season. It's going to be harder on them, Chilliwack on a Friday night going with rush hour traffic may make for a tough travel.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
West Van U21 is a very solid team and I think will fill the void ND is leaving. We've played them in the summer and they will fit right in to fighting for a provincial spot. If Langley can reblend/refresh their premier group with some of the Div.1 players that won the division they will also be very good again. Should be a competitive year. I have to think they will find a way for maybe a neutral location for some games. West Van to Chilliwack on friday night has to be 2+ hours. Great move for the Valley as I know on the Delta side we were a little worried about the state the premier division was in with us leaving. Good to see Chilliwack coming up as well as it may be even more competitive as last season top-bottom

salute

Jul 1, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't believe that was a god idea..... some people are just little more spoiled......they should work they way up and get some experience but no it's easier to go to fvsl. But quality wise they will fit in with fvsl I mean.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
sour-grapes.jpg
I don't believe that was a god idea..... some people are just little more spoiled......they should work they way up and get some experience but no it's easier to go to fvsl. But quality wise they will fit in with fvsl I mean.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not really concerned about it folding but it was more or less a 6 team league last year and making it a 5 team league we didn't want other teams to start trying to exit. However I guess if its good enough for the top player in BC its in a fine state.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0