Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

U21 What is the level like this year?

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are considering forming a U21 team through West Van FC next fall, made up mostly of a group of 17-19 year old guys (grade 12 and 1st year University). Good players, many of whom have competed on club teams who have played friendlies with local small college teams like Quest, Cap and Kwantlen.

The feeling is that this option would only be explored if the quality of play in the U21 league is reasonably technical, consistent and relatively high. Has anyone been out to see many of the games and what is the level in the league like this year?

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
We thought of putting in a U21 team as well and then after looking around and talking to some of the clubs...Really whats the point of U21. Every other sport stops at 18.
Most U21 guys are just starting to go to the Bar so soccer is not really a priority.
None are going to play pro or they would already be somewhere. Its time for them to all play with the men cause thats what they are. You dont have to agree with me but I feel U21 is a waist. Join a div 3 somewhere and start the Journey up that league.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well hang on now Captain...you have Metro Ford that consistently fields a side that could take on a Div. 1 level team and often sends players to the Premier side. Then it's a case of haves and have nots...the top half competes rather well and the bottom half...well...does not. Let's agree that it's decent soccer for the U-21 boys that can't cut it at the Premier level, didn't get recruited by major universities and don't want to play with bigger, stronger players at the div. 1 level. Fair?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well hang on now Captain...you have Metro Ford that consistently fields a side that could take on a Div. 1 level team and often sends players to the Premier side. Then it's a case of haves and have nots...the top half competes rather well and the bottom half...well...does not. Let's agree that it's decent soccer for the U-21 boys that can't cut it at the Premier level, didn't get recruited by major universities and don't want to play with bigger, stronger players at the div. 1 level. Fair?

Sure.....if you say so, Berg. :D ;)

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ghouse well pointed out. Only one thing you forgot. In div three there is atleast three simetimes four guys that used to play premier. It is to big of a step for some young guys.
They all think they know the game. Most of them can not play more than forty minutes. They get all out of cilt and make the dumbes mistakes. U 21 is a good development as long as you get the young men from select program. In div three you can not teach them how to play. Sides will kick the crap out of them.
As long as day work hard in U21 or in div three and are willing to learn the mens game in two or three years they will gain soccer sence and also game shape for more than ten minutes.
Youth has far tomany players per team to develop the chest for soccer. They sub every five minutes. It actualy kils the flow of any game and also player development. Very few guys under 19 can play mens game. Young men need development in U21 or in div three all young as a team. No need of adding guys thirty five to play with young guys.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Development for what? its beer league. They are not going anywhere as it is. So develop for what.They are not children anymore. They are young men. Who want to kick a ball around and have beers. Any player at that age thinking he may go pro, so he needs to develop with a U21 team, is out to lunch. All thats left is some fun soccer now without the pressures of a U21 coach. who still thinks he may discover some late bloomer. Any U21 young man still thinking he needs development at that age, mostlikely needs to play with older men to learn that physical part of the game. And many other things you learn from Vets while playing with them. The hardest part of any young player trying out for any Pro/Collage/Mens team is getting use to playing with the older,stronger guys.
U21 has no place anymore. It should be dropped. like all other minor sports after 18

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I reffed a couple of games this year. In all honesty, aside from a few players on Metro Ford, the level was less than spectacular. Wholeheartedly agree that no player is going to develop further playing U-21. You either are ready to play with men, or you find a new hobby. At 19 or 20, if you can't crack a Premier side, or at least a division 1 side, you are destined to be a low end beer leaguer, as opposed to a high end beer leaguer.

regards,

highend beer leaguer turned beer league official!:rolleyes:

:bronco:

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
And there is nothing wrong with Beer League Soccer. Infact it has more players than any other mens soccer. Its fun ,its cheep, and the beers are always good.
And for the most part the guys are cool. LOL

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some how I see you guys going about it in a wrong way. Lots of young men were getting coached by Dads in youth program. Many dads never played the game. These young guys will only go forward with U21 development or div three and up. They need two years to learn the mens game. First to be able to play more than ten minutes at the time and than sub. It is only select kids that are maybe ready for div one or premier. And only four or five from one team. Young men here are forced in to totough of a system then they fail and they get kicked out. I say form and under twenty three league and than you will see howmany players come out of it good. Many will.
We have to slow down a bit. Youth needs longer development. Our Pro clubs are not here and kids have no place to go to learn. Beer they will drink, pot they will smoke, who cares that is their privet life. We just need more soccer players.

Mr. Rempa

Jul 26, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I remember in the early 1990's there was a winter division for the Pacific Coast League (U-21 Graduated). Those games were good one, many of those players ended up in the premier division of VMSL. Bronco, Hose do you remember those games? Ahhhhh Mr. Base I do remember you too. But as far as any of those player becoming professional...hell don't recall any name going that far.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here you go again. Johny Sulentic. Alen Marchina, Charles , Adam Wallace, Trrey Dumfield, Michael Brkich were few that did play in that league. Moved up to PCSL and on. What can I say we have Bobby and shyt happens. I gues they are not good enough. Got to get a six foot six that can not run but can chek the guy hard. Kick the dam ball and we will chase it.

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
mR bASE!!!

Not all of our dads coach/manage a team or take on kids to coach and then send them to europe per say.............many players who have gone to europe and have come back to play in vmsl div.1 and premiere.....

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes you guys are right. Many young men go and come back fast. The reason is they are not ready fysically, and they can not stand five days a week workouts and than play on the weekend. Some also lack in foot speed, tend to do things way to fast. But some do stick it and make it. Tell me what is better than going to onother Country to play and practise soccer. You can see many places and get a better picture in general on life. Even if you go for two three weeks. I got three more going this next spring. We will see how the young men do.Localy they will not even give them a try out. You must pay three hundred for them to see you play. That is where it is at here. White Caps got a new man from Tottingham to run the club. You will see changes. He knows there is a gold mine here he just needs to open it.

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummm, Ok, so I'm sensing the majority view is that other than the Metro ford team, the league isn't really worth the effort?

I've got a lot of guys in the fall who will be, like 6' to 6'3, with great fitness, good footspeed, and better than average skill. But, most of them are still pretty gawky and in the 145-155 lb range. Would these guys get killed as a Div. 3 team? We've trained with a couple of the guys from North Shore Div. 2 teams, and Miller's league teams, and they were certainly bigger and stronger, but not really any more skilled.

Just trying to figure whether it is worth trying to form our own team, or whether to have the guys split up and try out for different VMSL Div 1 or 2 teams.

TheBoss

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummm, Ok, so I'm sensing the majority view is that other than the Metro ford team, the league isn't really worth the effort?

I've got a lot of guys in the fall who will be, like 6' to 6'3, with great fitness, good footspeed, and better than average skill. But, most of them are still pretty gawky and in the 145-155 lb range. Would these guys get killed as a Div. 3 team? We've trained with a couple of the guys from North Shore Div. 2 teams, and Miller's league teams, and they were certainly bigger and stronger, but not really any more skilled.

Just trying to figure whether it is worth trying to form our own team, or whether to have the guys split up and try out for different VMSL Div 1 or 2 teams.

Interesting dilemma, personally I wouldn't bother forming your own Div.3 team. Most likely that would result in being a waste of time.. For the development of the players... finding clubs that have a Prem, Cat, and U21 team makes the most sense to try and send your players to..This way guys are getting time playing against men (cat and if good enough prem) and still playing lots of minutes with u21 team.Alot of the time the u21,cat and possibly prem train together which is also a plus for young kids.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money

My opinion is the under 21 league is like running into a wall... Rick, i suggest a couple of exhibition matches during the week nights over the next couple months from various teams in both leagues and divisions to get a better idea what these kids have to offer... GHOUSE and his ACBC clubs are always looking for games as are many others

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div three is a tough leaguwe. Older players do not like when kids make fun of them. They step in hard and play the kid on the ball every time. You will see few youngsters quit due to fysical side of it.
Moast of them are used to be protected by a reff. In senior soccer refs let the game go. It is up to youngsters to come up to the level. Lots of them get carded out when the get hit hard and clean. They just can not take it and turn around and cheep shot.
It takes a good mix of young guys to start in div three. And it will take a year or two for them to play hard and forget childish things. As far as U21 running in to a wall with BC Premier league you are right.Maybe one or two kids will be able to come up for a game.
Only to sit on the banch.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0