Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Whats Happened to North Shore Football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Looking at the current VMSL Standings, I see Pegasus sitting in last place on Side B with 9 points and clearly the favorite for relegation from this side. Then on Side A, you have Trollers second from last with 15 points in a relegation battle with Khalsa. Now the Trollers have tried to improve the team by joining with DeepCove, but it seems they are in the same position year after year. Now Pegasus did improve thier team with a merger with Surrey FC, that eventually brought a BC and Canadian Championship to the Club.

My question is, what has happened to all the great soccer players that the North Shore used to produce, are there no longer any good teams and players across the Inlet? At one time there were 3 North Shore teams in Premier (Norvan, Pegasus, and Trollers), plus DeepCove one of the top Div. 1 teams that has had its time in Premier. Now the VMSL Premier League could see no team from the NorthShore, if Peg and Trollers were to go down this year.

When I first started playing College and Senior Soccer after High School, the North Shore was the place to play. Cap. College was winning all the Canadian College Championships, Norvan was the top Senior Club in Canada, and all the good North Shore players that were not on Norvan, were either with Trollers, Pegasus or DeepCove.

Question of the day, what is happening on the Shore, other than lots of rain?

hos

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny you should bring this up, we were talking about this after our over 30's game on Sunday.

Consensus seemed to be that the NS has become so expensive to live on, that a lot of young people/players end up moving to the suburbs. Of course they then find a local team to play for.

The parks board also implemented a residency rule, restricting how many Non-NS players a team or league can have. I have 5 players on my team, that lived in NV, but moved to the burbs to buy houses. They stll come in for games, but there attendance is dwindling. We have had 2 leave the team, to join up in their new neighbourhoods!

Ideally the Peg,Trollers,Norvan, and Deep Cove should all get together, and have one strong NV Club

My 2 cents worth

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ya, that is the reason for the Senior Teams, players moving on to more affordble neighbourhoods. But what about the kids, are there any more strong players coming up through the youth systems? Or are these kids playing youth on the Shore and then leaving for other teams in the LowerMainland?

hos

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Trollers AND Peg do happen to go down this year, will it affect any of the rumoured plans of a few personalities jumping from one to the other next year?

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs what happened to you saying they (pegs) wont go down! ;) questioning yourself or what? ;)

By the way hos!the reason the north shore isnt happening anymore cause there are SOCCER players playing....not FOOTBALLERS ;)

sidviews :eek:

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
If Trollers AND Peg do happen to go down this year, will it affect any of the rumoured plans of a few personalities jumping from one to the other next year?

What is both go down, but Norvan comes up (they are in first place in Div. 1 right now), would all the "Best" players from the North Shore go to Norvan to once again make them the Power House that they once were. I did here that Norvan attempted to bring back all the "Young Guns" from the early 90's, but none left their teams to make that move. Could that happen next year, will Gill be coming back too? :eek:

hos

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
young guns :rolleyes: who danny from squamish ;) ;)

fcuk sake surrey is where it is at these days SU & SFC :cool:

FOREN & PETER LAD

mickster

Aug 15, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Norvan doesn't get up to premier this year, they will very soon. The U-21's are playing very well and in addition to taking last years Provincial cup, they have dominated league play this year. With several of them playing on both the U21 side and the div.1 side they are gaining valuable experience and will help make Norvan back into a quality premier side in the years to come. If Norvan is the only NS premier side (personally I think at least one of the other teams will remain up) then I'm sure some of the relegated Peg and Troller boys will make the jump. They've had decent coaching for the past 2 years and if only we could get the JB's up to div 1, I'm sure we'd have more success than the Primos!!

Mick

cside17

Better Bastard
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk, mickster, I thought you moved to the burbs!

Norvan will not be promoted :eek: , DCTRollops will stay up. Peg will be relegated. Most NV lads from Peg will join DCTRollops!

A real shame to see a quality club like NORTH SHORE PEGASUS, possibly fading to black after this year.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cside,

My thoughts are that the reason Peg has plummeted is that they have not, as in the past, been able for whatever reason (you know my thoughts on this) over the past few years been able, despite even having a player who coaches a powerful college team on the North Shore, to effectively draw on the strong youth and college base up here. Instead they have had to get new players out of Surrey and those new players cannot cut it unless they are surrounded by a host of quality beteran players, as they were in last years run. But the Senior players are aging fast.

Also NShore Youth soccer is very powerful, but very short sighted as they are driving Senior Soccer away...result: strong youth, weak Senior soccer.

Having said that, I think you will see NorVan back in Premier in the near future, and you may very well see a re-emergence, maybe in a different form, of a proud old club that made a mistake a few years back and is now paying for it.

bobby

Oct 6, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
A quick look at the Div 1 standings shows the 2 real North Shore teams - Norvan and Wickham - battling for promotion. Going back to last season, Wickham finished 2nd place to AFC and ahead of Sikh Temple who can't get a break despite paying players year after year. Moreover, Wickham were the only team in Div 1 to actually beat AFC in the regular season. Norvan had a decent season last year and have obviously improved this year. While Peg and Trollers are struggling, Wickham and Norvan have both revamped their squads a great deal one of them will likely win promotion this year. Things aren't quite as bad as many of you think.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have no clue who Wickham is but I'd love for them to be promoted. A fresh face in the Prem would be great. Hopefully, if they get promoted, they will bring some young energy and talent to the league, not that shitty brand of soccer that DC Royals had........come to think of it, Trollips and DC are a true fit. BTW, have any DCR players made an impact for the Trollips, or are they all just playing CAT?

As for Peg, it will take a minor miracle to stay up. They still have the talent, but I question the drive. They seemed deflated and tired when we played them. They just gave up. It's like "here we go again" attitude.

Khalsa is a slightly better team than their record, Trollips is a worst team than theirs.

My prediction: Peg and WV are going down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0