Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

When to pull your team.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Under what circumstances is pulling one's team off the field mid-game justified?

The reason I ask is because it has happened twice recently that I know of.

Club Ireland pulled their Div 2 Cat team off the field after the referee had lost control of their game versus Sikh Temple. Lots of threats were being made by the ST players and one Club I player was coldcokced, splitting his eye badly.

In Div 1 Meralomas pulled their team off the field after about 20 minutes of their match versus Sikh Temple had elapsed. During that time they had 3 players sent off and were down 1 - 0. Their coach stated that they did not wish to lose any more players to suspension in a game they were doubtful they could win.

Looking for some opinions here or other experiences in the FVSL.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Club Ireland Incident:

Under these circumstances I would have just asked to be subbed and would have reccommended walking away from the game. Any game that becomes more about hurting people than actaully playing a soccer game should be called off. If not by the ref, by one of the coaches. I would hope that a coach would pull a player off the pitch if he sees that kind of action from one of his players brewing.

Div 1 Meralomas Incident:

I don't think this is reason to pull your team. Getting cards and player control is the big issue here. If you can't control your players and they can't control themselves then pull them off and put someone else on. Cards are part of the game and if players can't control that then I guess your team will be forfeitting alot of games this season. Unless of course the ref was a homer and had it out for the team from the start.

This of course all depends on the calls. Where they legitimate calls or horshite calls?

Strange that both these examples were games against Sikh Temple teams.
:confused:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TR will remember this one…

Two years ago in a President’s Cup game we had an incident where we pulled our team off. A little background: the game was being played at 2:30 in deep Maple Ridge on Thanksgiving Day. We had ½ of our team out of town that day spending time w/ their families, which mean the other half of us would have to play short while pissing off our loved ones. Anyhow, we requested a postponement, and the league wouldn’t budge. We had to play.

So, we make this long friggen drive out, play with 11 guys, including a 15 year old Keeper we called up from youth. We had a limping line-up, and missing key starters. Essentially, we were game, but realistically, we needed more than luck to escape that game. We just wanted to get out with no injuries or cards.

Well, 20 minutes in, I_Love_Sheep or some other plumber took yours truly out from behind on a very dirty tackle. Turns out he tore my MCL & cartilage. No color on the play. The lads didn’t react well to that, and one of them gets a yellow for telling the ref (Tin Po) what he thought of the tackle.

With me playing on one leg, and a 15-year-old shell-shocked keeper, we go down something like 3-0 in the game, and late in the 1st, the ref calls a diabolical PK (phantom call). Luis argues the call, and the ref then gives him a yellow for his trouble, and tells him to “go get the ball”, which had ended up somewhere off the field. Luis says, “Are you kidding?” and of course, Tin says no. Luis gets the ball, and running back to the semi-circle, underhand tosses it to Tin. He hits Tin right in the chest (nice rugby pass). Tin shows Luis a second yellow, then red. Frank argues the legitimacy of the second yellow (Luis did as asked, and didn’t exactly aim to maim…but he probably should have rolled it on the ground), and Tin gives him a yellow for his troubles. I step-in, yellow. Finally, our player / coach Pat had seen enough, and pulled us all off the field. We gave GEU a cheer, lined up, and went over to shake their hands. They were all shaking their heads at this guy, too.

In the end, we ended up getting Luis’s cards overturned, but we had to pay a team fine of $75.00 for walking off. In this case, the “walk-off” was more in protest of both the league, for not granting a postponement, and especially the ref, for simply being so goddamn stupid. In your cases, I think when games like this get so out of hand, it is worth walking off and then having to sit through the ensuing kangaroo court. Guys have to work on Monday. What other solution is there? Instruct the players not to move while on the field, and play out the final minutes?

Yoda, I think when the situation becomes so out of control where a brawl ensues and treats are spoken, it's time to leave the pitch, as a team.

Osame bin madden

Feb 2, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
say what

Originally posted by Dude-where'smycar?
TR will remember this one…

Well, 20 minutes in, I_Love_Sheep or some other plumber took yours truly out from behind on a very dirty tackle. Turns out he tore my MCL & cartilage. With me playing on one leg, and a 15-year-old shell-shocked keeper,

Toren mcl & cartilage, and still playing, wow your a freak of nature. I have never heard of this. Dude wheres your other bs story.:D
If this site was name something other than ttp, I might of led that one slide, but since it isn't OSAME calls that play way offside.
Keep is short and real dude.:wa:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here it is...

Did I mention my leg was severed at the knee?:eek: I stuck half a flag post in the stub, and tied it up with my shoelace so I wouldn't bleed too much. Anything to keep playing. That's what a good Coquitlam boy does, you see.;)

BTW- you're off topic, fcuker.:p

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0