Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Women's Premier 2009/10

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadians 3, Delta 1
Was very impressed with Delta's improved play since the first time we played them in September.....they were much more organized and matched us well for the first 35 minutes.
We finally got on the board by Tarrant in the 41' followed by Zoller at 75' and Tabo at 82'. We fell asleep when the ref had the whistle in her mouth at the 90 minute mark and a Delta player broke in from 40 yards to slot....whistle blew right after the ensuing kickoff. :(
All in all, an improved Delta squad and we did enough on the evening although still missing a few sitters that we should finish....especially considering we had 9 corners on the night and many free balls were left pinging around their box.
5 university players joining us this week so should be interesting to blend the old and new! :)

knaacks

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nice night at Towncenter Stadium. Light rain and no wind :) 0 - 0 at the half as SU was somewhat flat to start. City Slickers are much improved at this point and played good pressure to limit our chances. 2nd half saw SU come out much better and started to play more our game. 3 goals from the girls and thats all she wrote. Much better play with the ball moving nicely around the pitch from side to side. Richmond at home next week should be a great match with the Cap't and his girls bulking up for a good run in the second half of the season. See ya Sunday !!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did anyone play this weekend? :confused:

Our game against SU was postponed which is probably a good thing as we were going to be hurting BIG time today. That and we play each other in two weeks in league cup play. :rolleyes:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Metro-Ford beat Delta 6-1. I don't have any details as I was down in Seattle with our u15 girls team. Big one with NS next Sunday, then first round Cup against Westside the following week. Some pretty good match match ups in week 1 of Cup. Nice. I like that.

Welcome Wagon

Oct 26, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Metro-Ford beat Delta 6-1. I don't have any details as I was down in Seattle with our u15 girls team. Big one with NS next Sunday, then first round Cup against Westside the following week. Some pretty good match match ups in week 1 of Cup. Nice. I like that.

Nothing overly exciting to report, it was definitely our easiest game of the season. The score was 3-0 for us at the half. Goals were scored by Amy L, KJ, and Phebe (pretty sure). 3 more goals in the second half, scored by Meghan C, Andi S, and Andi M. Delta scored towards the end. The ref seemed to like to stand RIGHT in the middle of play, and as a result was nailed quite a few times or would totally interfere with the game. Both teams noticed this. I am sure he will have a few ball marks to prove it:cool:.

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadians 1
North Shore 1
Strange game.....we got on our heels for the first 25 with NS earning some good chances. Roz subbed in then and within 10 minutes had earned two yellows to get tossed by the 35 minute mark! In my many years in the game, I've never seen a player dribbling, get fouled and keep possession while refs calls "advantage" and yet she yells back at the ref (while dribbling) "f**k, come on, WTF ref". It wasn't even a hard foul, just contact from behind as she dribbled past our player. Her comments were enough for him to blow down her advantage and show a second yellow after one 10 minutes earlier for a hard foul after the ball was long gone. In the first half, they scored on a shot from 25 yards after 2 of our players decided 10 yards of space was a nice present to give her :(
We were down 1-0 at the half but I felt we were lucky to not be down 2, but I think the Roz show killed their momentum which was lucky as we were crap for 45. Second half got a bit chippy and chirpy with lots of elbows, late tackles, and yelling at the ref from numerous players on both teams. Second half we gained more possession and the game became much more even. At about the 70 minute mark, Buchan took her second yellow in the match for a hard foul and was gone....this seemed to kill the game as we didn't know what to do with all the time on the ball and NS had to sit back with 9 and just counter when possible. It was ugly the last 15 and it looked like this: we'd pass it around with no urgency, cross it into box, they'd clear it and send one girl on a counter....then repeat again....pure ugly. We did manage to snag one...and it was hi-lite stuff...Zoller one timing a full volley rocket off a cross that ended up top corner.
All in all, strange game....I feel like we could have lost, tied, or won....but many were speechless after 6 yellows in the game (4 equalling the 2 reds).

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Six cautions (let alone two sendings off) in one game??? That's like the season quota for the MWSL. The ref must have been pissed off for having to be out there on a Sunday night.

Good news is that's two rather significant players we won't have to worry about next week. If anyone know who the referee was, I'd like to send him a card ... a thank you card. :)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm glad to see a ref that hands out cards in this league.......too many do nothing about cheap stuff.......or too many just don't call anything........period. :( Having said that, I obviously wasn't at the game and can't comment how legitimate the cautions were.

PM if you know who the ref is.....please. :)

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
The ref seemed to be chummy with all the NS folk prior to the game so I thought that might've been a bad sign for us. He had a strong eastern euro accent, but can't give you his address FB to send a present! :)
He did try to clamp down early. Players like RH and KB can be so effective on the ball but also flail and bitch when touched a few times and that's exactly what happened. The f-bombs were being thrown at the ref on the field after hard tackles and he kept decent control and 2 of the cards were for dissent so he was willing to stamp it out. Having said that, NS was wound up more than we were at the opening kickoff and had much more intensity on challenges which I don't think was the ref's desired style....so us coming out slow and on our heels might have actually helped as we looked like the poor underdogs getting hammered so maybe we did get some pity calls based on our poor start. :)
Overall I thought he was decent...of course NS would say he's terrible and they all had a go at him after the match. He let some good hard 50/50's go which most refs in our league don't, but called most pretty even that were over the top or from behind.
Interesting part was the NS team and our girls are probably the most chummy and friendly off the pitch I've seen so far as quite a few of ours played for them last year and I coached a bunch of them a few years ago....but it didn't look that way on the pitch as it was the most physical and bitter match we've been in so far.

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Info for the masses: BGSC Canadians premier are hosting a co-ed tournament to raise money to attend the national indoor championships in Vegas. Dec 27/28 at 8 rinks. Plans are hopefully for premier and rec divisions but we're looking to see if enough rec interest exists or it'll just be one premier division. More details to come, but let me know if interest exists....

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canadians - 2
Surrey - 0
Good result for us. I think we caught SU on a bad night though as they didn't look as sharp as I've seen them in the past. Quite a few missed passes that looked un-surrey like. Anyways, we have only been getting better on our back end after leaking quite a bit early in the season so to come home with a goose egg....well, I'll take this one and run. :)
Knaacks....I know it sucks that we are one of the only teams where you have to put up your own net....but no worries, we were in a good mood so took it down for you. :(
My Gunners won and Anson's girls won their 20th NCAA championship today so a great weekend for Gooner's teams!

knaacks

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey thanks for doing that as I can't remember any time in the last 3 years where we have had to provide a net let alone put one up. A heads up would be good for the next team to play up there though. Nice win for you and your girls tonight. See you after xmas out in Cloverdale.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought that the premier teams put in a "gentleman/woman's agreement" that homes teams would always supply the nets? That was a half dozen or so years ago, but that's not very "Premier-like" to make your guests put a net up, let alone bring one.

Good result though Gooner. That's two pretty good results in a row.

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know it sucks that we are one of only two teams that don't have permanent nets. We put up a net when we played at Delta's Association Park which I'm sure everyone else has had to do. I had BLW as an option to play there which has nets up but it was on one of the old concrete pads so we passed. Here's the rules from the MWSL operating rules which we also received in an email in the summer:

17. Game Day Responsibilities & Field Preparation
  • The HOME team is responsible for field preparation (lining, etc.), providing four regulation corner flags, one goal net, and one match-quality ball.
  • Teams that regularly play their home games on artificial turf must provide the proper turf corner flags.
  • The VISITING team is responsible for providing one goal net, and a suitable back-up, match quality game ball.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know what the rules are Gooner. I wrote most of them. But back when I was with Burnaby we had a premier get-together and we all kind of agreed to let home team look after the nets. That's when we decided to do linesmen too. Anyhow, no biggie. The reason for it was because teams that played on home parks with permanent nets often didn't have access to a spare net. And it seemed like a waste of money for one or two games.

Anyhow, on to more important stuff...

Metro-Ford beat NS 3-0 last night. Six points up heading into Xmas. Hopefully we can keep up the good form after the break. But before that we have to deal with Westside in the first cup tie on Friday night.

Gooner21

Aug 29, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would totally be fine with the home team ensuring the field and both nets are ready (and it does make sense), but I am just following the rules as we were told for this year! :)
BLW is supposed to be re-turfing at least one of the old fields by summer so hopefully we'll try to get a home spot there next year. I know Knaacks was also amazed to find no change rooms at Bby North....welcome to our world! I'm always amazed that the city of Bby builds 3 turf fields (North, Cariboo, Byrne) costing millions of dollars with not even the basics like benches and bench shelters, let alone change rooms.
Good result for Coq last night and they're pulling away a bit now....surely missing RH and KB lessened the NS attack?

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coach K told me 3-0. He had goals by yourself, Michelle and Phebe. Good to see you guys were at the same game. ;)

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0