Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

World Hockey Championships- 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I’m wondering if anyone is interested in this.

We opened the tourney this year with a 5-0 win over that European Powerhouse, Italy. My step cousin used to play for Italy (Mike Deangelis), and ended up playing in 3 Olympics- including Negano. I don’t really know if he’s back with them now. Last I heard he was playing Elite league in Germany.

Anyhow, I do get a little interested in this every year, even though it isn’t a true indication of the “World Championships”. I think it would be very cool if Canada can make it a Olympic / WC double this year!

Anyone give two shits?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hell Yeah!!!

I'm with ya Dude... Know if any Canucks are making the trip???

GO CANADA GO!!!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada is rolling.

From TSN.ca:

KARLSTAD, Sweden (CP) - A highlight-reel goal by captain Ryan Smyth of the Edmonton Oilers led Canada to a 3-1 win over pesky Germany on Thursday at the world hockey championship.

With the win, Canada clinched a berth in the tournament quarter-finals. Andy McDonald of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and Mike Comrie of the Oilers had the other goals for Canada (4-0-0), which plays Switzerland (1-3-0) on Friday (TSN, 10 a.m. EDT) in the second of three qualifying-round games.

Smyth's second-period goal was a thing of absolute beauty. After turning German defenceman Erich Goldmann inside out, Smyth fired a wrist shot to the top left corner behind German goalie Marc Seliger to give Canada a 2-1 lead with 48 seconds remaining - a goal that deflated the Germans.

Wayne Hynes of Montreal scored the lone goal for Germany midway through the first, beating Marty Turco with a wrist shot inside the post. Leonard Soccio of St. Catharines, Ont., is the only other Canadian on the team as Germany (2-2-0) continue to successfully develop its hockey program.

Turco stopped 24 shots to register his second win in as many starts.

The constant singing of some 300 German fans in the standing-room section provided the backdrop at Lofbergs Lila Arena, although less than 4,000 fans attended the game.

The Germans did to Canada what they did in their 3-2 loss at Salt Lake City and last year's 3-3 tie at the worlds in Hanover. They sat back and waited with five players across their blue-line as the Canadians came in waves, trying to break through.

The key for Canada was not falling behind as they did last year because the Germans become even more difficult to score against with a lead, their clutching and grabbing adding to the frustration.

Canada stayed in control Thursday and even forced the Germans to open up in the third as they looked for the tying goal.

Canada got some insurance midway through the third when Eric Brewer's point shot deflected off McDonald inside the left post for a 3-1 lead.

Comrie opened the scoring 4:51 into the first, taking a pass from Justin Williams and skating in alone in the slot before beating Seliger with a wrist shot to the top left corner.

Canada was down two men for two minutes in the first but was able to kill the penalties off as Germany never got a bona fide scoring chance. The trouble started with Tyler Wright of the Columbus Blue Jackets getting five minutes for boarding and a game misconduct.

Go Canada Go!!

Demolition

Sep 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada

Any true blooded Canadian WOULD give two shits, for one it's hockey and two, it is a championship.

GO CANADA GO GO CANADA GO

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zenga,

Seems like a lot of the Oilers. Marty Turko is the starting keeper. There isn't a whole lot of press on this, so it's tough to say. I haven't bothered to look up the IIHF website either.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not bad!

That would be a solid NHL squad, with the exception of possible weaknesses in goaltending. Good character all around, and some skilled players.

Good to see Schaefer in there. I wonder how he fared in Finland?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Important win

Canada 3 (Heatly, Brewer & MacDonald) Swiss 2 (who cares);)
Check out the up to date scores and get streamed highlights here:
http://www.ihwc.net/english

Canada plays the stinkin' Czech's tomorow @ 9:50 am (pst) on TSN...
The Nats also added a top flight Defenceman!!!
(From TSN website)"The Canadian men's hockey team has added Dallas Stars defenceman Darryl Sydor to the team again"

Check out: www.tsn.ca it has loads of World Championship interviews and news etc...

GO CANADA GO!!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Czechs 5, Canada 1

I caught most of this game, and had to leave early in the 3rd. At that point, Canada had just scored to make it 2-1. I was hoping for a tie, which would set the boys up well for the medal round.

Oh well...maybe this will help prepare the boys for a run to the gold medal game.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hate the fcuking czech's!!!

Those bastards hammered us in the 3rd... (literally) GK Marty Turko took a knee to the head and was taken out of the game!!! Ah well time to gear up for Slovakia (tomorow 10:50am on TSN)...

GO CANADA GO!!!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dundee United

Canada 2 Slovakia 3...
Game, set, match!!!:mad: :mad:

Wondering where the likes of Jerome Iginla, Derek Morris, Paul Karyia, Eric Lindros, Ed Belfour and Vince Lacavlier are??? The same players that would give anything to play for their country at the Olympics, but not give up 2 1/2 weeks (playoff time anyway) to play at the Worlds!!! Isn't that the reason knowone in this country is overconcerned about the World Championships??? Yeh we can't send our best players, but neither can any other country!!! Better yet, their players who are available gladly go... (ie) Jagr, Bondra etc... Even Naslund leaves after the Canucks bow out of the playoffs all for the sole purpose of representing HIS country!!! What about Jovo, Bertuzzi or Thorton??? All young lads trying to become the elit in Canadian hockey!!! Or are they???

Not that Canadians are less patriotic, but why shouldn't we send OUR best available??? It just pisses me off to see Jagr and Bondra celebrate a goal against Turko or J.J. Gigiere!!!:mad: While James Patrick or Steve Staos weakly waives at them as they fly past!!!

Still Olympic Champs, but not World Champs, Canada!!!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree, mostly. I think any player who didn't make it to the playoffs should make the effort to represent their country. Jerome Iginla would have been there, GUARANTEED, had he not had a breakthrough season this year. Teams should encourage their players to go as well, which I suspect is quite opposite for the most part. Edmonton are the obvious exception, sending over all their best players.

The players you've mentioned would have made all the difference. Especially disappointed in Derek Morris, Paul Karyia, Eric Lindros, Theo Fluery, and Vince Lacavlier. Lacavlier would be wise to remember his roots, and work a bit on his game.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When they're asked, they should go.

From TSN:
60 plus say no.

GOTEBORG, Sweden (CP) - Jaromir Jagr was willing to sacrifice half of his $88-million NHL salary. Ziggy Palffy jumped on a plane after a gruelling seven-game playoff series. Markus Naslund didn't hesitate when the host country called.

The chance to play for your country at the world hockey championship is a privilege for European players. Even goalie Tommy Salo jumped at the offer despite being vilified by his fellow Swedes for allowing the infamous goal at the Salt Lake Olympics that led to his team's loss to Belarus. Why, when more than 60 Canadian players coming off the same NHL season said no?

It's simple. The world championship is just as important as the Stanley Cup for European players. Even more so for their fans.

"Everybody who had a chance to come has come," Washington Capitals star Peter Bondra said of his Slovak team, which will face Sweden the semifinals Thursday. "We're proud, I'm so proud to play for Slovakia . . .

"It just means so much to the people back home when we come and play in the world championships."

Fellow Caps superstar Jagr, who risked losing half of his eight-year deal if he was seriously injured in the tournament, played for the Czech Republic after failing to make the NHL post-season for the first time in 12 years. He even paid another premium for further insurance coverage.

Naslund was happy to make it through an entire NHL season and playoff series with the Vancouver Canucks injury-free after recovering from a broken leg last year. Rest would probably have been the smartest thing for him to do but he couldn't resist playing for Sweden.

Mats Sundin of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Daniel Alfredsson of the Ottawa Senators and Saku Koivu of the Montreal Canadiens - all NHL captains - have repeatedly answered the call for their countries. Finland had a roster spot open for Koivu if Boston had beaten Montreal in the first round and it wouldn't have been a shock if the cancer survivor had shown up for the medal round.

In Canada, it's the NHL that matters. Or the NHL in the Olympics.

But if Canada wants to defend its Olympic title in 2006, shouldn't as many top-level players as possible get international experience by playing at the worlds?

Some Canadian players deserve credit for realizing that they owed their country in return for earning a great living in the NHL after growing up playing in the best minor hockey programs in the world. Players such as Rob Blake and James Patrick have played in five world championships apiece. Kirk Muller, Jeff Friesen and Ryan Smyth are also tournament veterans.

"For me personally, I feel like I've been the lucky one to have this opportunity," said the 38-year-old Patrick. "It was a great disappointment this year but it was a great experience every time."

Canada has lost in the quarter-finals two straight years and hasn't earned a medal since winning gold in 1997.

This year's team was long on heart but short on talent. Smyth and Oilers teammate Eric Brewer, both Olympic team members, carried the team.

The look on Smyth's face after Tuesday's heartbreaking 3-2 loss to Slovakia in the quarter-finals was enough to bring tears to the eyes of Canadian hockey fans. He's due for another round of ankle surgery upon his return to Edmonton.

The Canadian captain needed more help. More than 60 players declined invitations from GM Lanny McDonald.

"We're proud of the guys who came here," said Canadian Hockey Association president Bob Nicholson. "We want players who want to play here. We hope in the future that players will want to come over and wear the Maple Leaf."

Is there a solution?

Here's a suggestion. Next year, how about Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman and Mario Lemieux make the phone call to players when it's time to recruit.

Win or lose, this tournament is a terrific opportunity for players to develop their skills and play under playoff-like pressure. After all, as Smyth repeatedly points out, you should be planning to play hockey in May anyway. So why not play in the tournament if your team didn't make the playoffs?

"I'm glad I came over," said Canadian goalie J.S. Giguere of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, who last year went to Germany as the No. 3 goalie and never played. "Anytime I'm not in the playoffs and I'm asked to play, I'll pack my bags and come over."

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My point exactly

TheRob, good post from a good source... We could debate for ages about why players decline to go to the World's, but Team Captain Ryan Smyth summed it up best: "you should be planning to play in May anyway." This lad wears his heart on his sleeve and is what all young Canadian Hockey players should strive to become!!! Take Eric Lindros, he is a big man and his skill level is second to none, but if he and many other "so-called superstars" had half of the heart Smyth does, our Country would be favourites to win the World Championships year in year out!!!

Pissed at the cop outs, Guinness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0