Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yallop leaves LA

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Earthquakes hire Yallop - SI.com

Frank Yallop is done in L.A. The expansion San Jose Earthquakes have reached an agreement to buy out Yallop's contract from the Los Angeles Galaxy and bring the coach back to the Bay Area, SI.com has learned.

I dont know if anyone actually gives a shite about MLS, but there was some talk about Yallop coming to the Whitecaps.

I dont think he's really to blame for the Galaxy being shite, they had so many injuries, and gave up alot of depth to have 2 designated players.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Only surprise really is the timing I think...

Who'll coach the Galaxy vs the Caps on Wednesday? Mourinho? :D

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny, I had my tix refunded for the game, but have two tix to the closed practice tomorrow at BC Place. Now I am wondering what their training will look like...good luck Frank!

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the MLS front Seattle to get a franchise backed by Paul Allen. And Kerfoot no longer the fav in vancouver to land the MLS.

Poor Frank what a couple of crazy situations he has been in, best thing he did though was leave the CSA. What happened to the Dutch guy they hired/fired, anyone know?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And Kerfoot no longer the fav in vancouver to land the MLS.

Why do you Kerfoot is no longer the fav? Are you implying that there is another Vancouver suitor, or implying that because of the non-stadium issue, this is a dead deal?

I agreee if it is the later. That said, Dianne Watts is on record saying she'd endorse a stadium in Surrey, by the Putello. Although not ideal, I feel it would be well supported, and even invigorate that area. So far as MLS, so long as the stadium meets their requirements, I don't think they'd care where, just that people can get there.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fact is that the Vancouver-Proper snobbery is going to have an end sooner than later. The Greater-City has no growth potential to the West (Hello Pacific Ocean) to the North (Hello Mountains) and to the South (Hello Yanks) and to the East and Valley is where we will grow.

A big facility, although not currently Ideal, or as pictur-esque as a DT Waterfront Staduim...in the Valley would work. i think the inital fact that it is built will be enough to draw fans the first few years, especially if it is in close proximity to sky-train (other various modes of mass transport)

many other cities have their sporting venues DT, many others have the venues in the burbs too...

I would love an MLS franchise here...just not sure that Kerfoot will be involved. If I was him I would have walked long ago just based on the fact that this city has done him zero favours with his attempts and endeavors to do something good for the city and the game out of his own pocket.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree. I just have a feeling that he'll open his cheque book to Surrey. Dianne Watts has the political will, and the area they are looking at is industrial, not residential or commercial.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When MLS came through town awhile back, I think it was mentioned they talked to 2 groups here about possible expansion... it was never made clear who the second group were but I would imagine it was the Canucks.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Somebody will have to explain how that fits. They will need a park, and I'm not sure why Orca Bay would want to be in the soccer business.

The Lions I could see.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would hate to see the MLS Group get mixed up with the Lions group. The CFL is great and all, I am a fan, but lets not get footballs mixed up here...The CFL Involvement with Soccer at the Pro level would be BAD IMHO for the Whitecaps (or whatever the MLS Franchise will be)

If the Lions and MLS team groundshare chances are it will need to be 30,000 or thereabouts. The thing about Soccer at a pro level is the ambience. I highly doubt 30000 folks are going to take in Soccer in Vancouver. MLSE do a great job in TO, but again, it is top flight, and it is in a soccer-specific facility.

30k may be achievable in Vancouver Downtown, but not in the Valley, not right away anyways...

I would imagine the Nucks may be the guys, all MLS owners are owners in NHL, NBA, or NFL...the Nucks camp may fancy themselves in that mold.

I hope Kerfoot ends up the guy, for all the work he did saving the Caps, it would really pain me to see the Soccer focus fall to someone else.

A 15-20k soccer specific facility in Surrey would do the trick for me... We could do all kinds of great things with a park like that.

But first choice will always be DT waterfront.

also remember the CFL is not safe or out of the woods yet. The CFL has enjoyed a very stable last 10 years, Ottawa yoyoing not withstanding.

If the NFL gets their Paws on TO the CFL is going to be in tough. if the cfl sees a downsizing, than the two (MLS and CFL) could co exist, but as long as 40k will show for a western final and 45+ will show for a grey cup, the numbers don't match for Soccer

just my $0.02

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agree on that too. I just don't see the link between hockey and soccer, or the passion for the game I think the MLS franchise will need. Kerfoot has that, and the money. MLS would be unwise on a long term basis to go to Orca Bay, even if they are willing to pay premium dollar.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0