Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yes, thank you, I'm a 'moron'.

Should Françoise Ducros be fired?

• Yes, this is serious: fire her.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • No, she speaketh the truth: let her stay.

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Despite this piece of news passing quietly by this weekend, I'm curious see the results of TTP poll on whether Francoise Ducros should or should not be summarily turfed for calling George Bush a 'moron'.

For those individuals unaware of the story:
PM refuses to accept resignation over 'moron' remark
Last Updated Sat, 23 Nov 2002 9:35:35
PRAGUE - Prime Minister Jean Chrétien has refused to accept the resignation of his communications director, who reportedly called U.S. President George W. Bush "a moron."

Chrétien told reporters on Friday that Françoise Ducros had offered to resign, but that he had rejected the offer.

In a statement, Ducros didn't admit to making the specific remark, but said she regrets that a private conversation became a media controversy.

"The comments attributed to me in no way reflect my personal view of the President of the United States," she said. "I have never, in any of the many briefings I have given reporters as the prime minister's chief spokesperson, ever expressed, on the record or off the record, any negative opinion concerning President George Bush."

At least two reporters said they overheard Ducros on Wednesday call Bush "a moron" for using the NATO summit in Prague to drum up support for a war in Iraq.

Chrétien, who says he has an "extremely good" personal relationship with the U.S. president, told reporters on Friday Ducros had apologized for the furore that erupted.

The prime minister said Ducros, 40, couldn't remember making the reported remarks, but that "moron" is a word she commonly uses.

"She may have used that word against me a few times and I am sure she used it against you many times," Chrétien told reporters.

Opposition politicians have angrily criticized not only the remarks themselves, but Chrétien's handling of the incident.

Tory Leader Joe Clark says the prime minister should have accepted the resignation and put Ducros on a plane back to Canada.

Canadian Alliance MP Jason Kenney said Ducros' words are only a symptom of a larger problem.

"The problem is a string of anti-Americanism coming from people in senior positions with the Liberal government," Kenney told CBC Newsworld on Friday. "These sort of comments just further impair a relation we need to build."

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, who was accompanying Bush in Prague, dismissed the comment as coming from "somebody who obviously doesn't speak for the Canadian government."

Chrétien told reporters U.S. officials hadn't complained about the story and that there had been no damage to relations between the countries.

Written by CBC News Online staff

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that she speaketh the truth but in the position that she is in, the PM's communications director, you can't go around calling anyone a moron, let alone Dubya. Chretien has fired cabinet ministers for far less, she's gotta go.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The mouse is on its last legs.

On the other hand, other Chrétien has kept others for far more. So who's to know what runs around in his head? :rolleyes:

You're right, though. You don't go around liberally spreading 'moron' comments about your neighbour. Especially when he's the most powerful man in the world.

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was a private conversation. She's not an elected official and there's confusion over whether or not she even said it. She shouldn't be fired for those reasons. She also shouldn't be fired because every free thinking person on the planet agrees with her.:wa:

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didnt Cretin himself make similar comment about a former US president at a G8 summit, which was caught on tape. If he makes her resign, pehaps he should have considered it himself.

I cringe everytime the man travels. :(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Cretien said the same about George Sr., or something to a similar affect.

Fire her. She's a Communications Director! Have some common sense.

Wouldn't it be great if we could fire Cretien too?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CNN has a program called Crossfire on today devoted to this very topic. It airs at 4 pm.

The promos I saw were posing questions like "Do we take advantage of Canada?" - I'm very intrigued as to what is going to be discussed and how they present the show.

Should give somewhat of a good insight as to how the americans view this topic.

~Regs.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, is this a new and more sensitive America?
Introspective and willing to at least discuss the fact that they are not all knowing in addition to all powerfull. God bless that Oprah and her impact on the American Psyche.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But the Yanks are all-knowing, in addition to all-powerfull. I know, because my Yank friends keep telling me that. :rolleyes:

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Pretty heated on Crossfire right now. Pretty good stuff. The Canadian guy they have from CPAC is so much more informed than any of the Americans they have. It's quite funny.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was good and I'm glad I watched it. Agreed that the Canadian they had on there was very good and represented Canadians well.

While I think that Robert Novak, the cranky republican, is putting on a bit of an act and is trying to play devil's advocate with the issue (continuing to refer to Canucks as weenies :D) at the end of the show he really got my attention... he suggested that the 3 western provinces form the 51st state. While that in itself is no big deal since I think we've all heard that one before, it is the 3 that he named that rings alarm bells: Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Alberta.

WTF? I guess we need to remember that he does supposedly represent the current Excited States government point of view on the show :rolleyes: Morons indeed!

Also, the American journalist that was on that portion of the show seemed clueless :rolleyes:

~Regs.

the power

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best Line (taken from the transcript because that's the closest I get to CNN over here):
CARVILLE: I love you! I love you Canadian red heads, too.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Small chance?

Is there a chance that her comments were taken out of context?

I know the press never misrepresents anyone or anything anyone says :rolleyes: but is there any chance at all that what was heard was only one line and not a whole conversation

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
reality check.........

The trouble with Canada is that the vast majority has been brainwashed into thinking any disparaging remarks, taken in or out of context, are a slight against some learned PC sensibility.

I just had the following forwarded me by a perfectly normal member of the Great British taxpayer. And, most importantly, she's got a cracking arse. Point is, there are, surely, far more important things to worry about than some bint going off half cokced and saying what most of us know to be true. At the very least, it's got the Septic Tanks talking about Canada and that can only be a good thing for the sheltered, introspective half-wits to the south of you.

Subject: KOSOVAN

Ode of an asylum seeker.

A Kosovan's poem

I come for visit, get treated regal,
So I stay, who care I illegal?
I cross border, poor and broke,
Take bus, see employment folk.

Nice man treat me good in there,
Say I need to see welfare.
Welfare say, "You come no more,
We send plenty cash right to your door."

Welfare cheques, they make you wealthy,
NHS, it keep you healthy!
By and by, I got plenty money,
Thanks to you, British dummy.

Write to friends in motherland,
Tell them come as fast as you can.
They come in rags on the back of trucks,
I buy big house with welfare bucks.

They come here, we live together,
More welfare cheques, it gets better!
Fourteen families they moving in,
But neighbour's patience wearing thin.

Finally, British guy moves away,
Now I buy his house, and then I say,
"Find more aliens for house to rent."
And in the yard I put a tent.

Send for family (they just trash),
But they, too, draw the welfare cash!
Everything is mucho good,
And soon we own the neighbourhood.

We have hobby-it's called breeding,
Welfare pay for baby feeding.
Kids need dentist? Wife need pills?
We get free! We got no bills!

Britishman crazy! He pay all year,
To keep us illegals in comfort here.
We think UK is very good place!
Much too good for the British race.

If they not like us, they can go,
There's lots of room elsewhere you
know....

SEND THIS TO EVERY BRITISH TAXPAYER

I look forward to reading the right-on brigade regale me with what is wrong with this poem. Now, where's my white cape?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't waste ten minutes of my life and read all of Fasty's post, so he may have touched on this, but from what I hear, the shemale resigned today. It should be considered for the order of Canada. Bush is a moron. Plain and simple.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dumb and Dumber

I’m still having trouble trying to figure out how Fasty’s post was on topic. What do England’s immigrant Kosovars and his workmate’s cracking arse have to do with our second biggest moron calling the American’s biggest moron a moron? I’ve seen and been on tangents myself, but this one is freaking ridiculous! Unless he can actually post a photo of the cracking arse in questions, Fasty is just wasting our time. As you all know, I don’t like wasting my time.:rolleyes: ;)

Anyhow, I think the general sentiment is that, yes, we all agree and acknowledge that G.W. is a moron. I’m sure most of the US of A acknowledges it too. We just don’t need help making our biggest moron appear to be a bigger moron that their biggest moron- which he is. We can be proud Canadians, but may the Great Gods strike me down if I am ever found to be proud of that moron Cretien…maybe the stupidest man to ever walk to planet. Yes, even dumber than Bush.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada's second biggest moron?

I think you are giving perhaps more credit than is due, and forgetting the prince of morons, one John Manley, deptuy PM. She is at best canada's 3rd biggest moron

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No chance. The third best moron is easily Bobby Clarke. Thank God we managed to get him shipped down to Philly. They deserve him.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
could a point be missed any more impressively?

The point I was trying to make was about political correctness gone out of control in Canada. Let me hold your hand and walk you through it. Obviously, it doesn't 'do' for someone in such a lofty :rolleyes: position of power and influence to go about calling people names, even if she was referratiating to the Presidentiallary of the USof A, Mr. G. Bush. My point is that it could have been handled with a public rap on the knuckles and a stern word from her superiors instead of being allowed to spiral out of control (in much the same way George Bush is spiralling out of control) and end up with the poor bitch losing her job.

Ultimately, if Canada still perceives itself as democratic nation and, implicit in that, the liberals were voted into office by the people and to speak on behalf of the people........... I wouldn't have blamed her if she or any other of her liberal cohorts had called the leaderentiary of the democraticallistic world a brain-dead oafish cnut.

I'm with The Rob on this, she should have been fast-tracked to the position of Canadian PM, not forced to resign because she spoke out of turn.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0