Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CSA 2012 Youth Nationals

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Update on how BC is doing so far.

U14 B - Surrey United in quarter-finals face ON tomorrow
U14 G - South Fraser in quarter-finals face ON tomorrow

U16B - Surrey United already on finals (probably facing ON or NS)
U16G - Mountain United in quarter-finals face ON tomorrow

U18B - Coquitlam Metro Ford with a win against ON tomorrow will be in agreat position to make the finals
U18G - Fusion needs to beat QC tomorrow and hope SK not wins to have a chance to make finals

So, GO BC GO!!!

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I assume the comment was made tongue in cheek but I'll take it seriously just for the heck of it.

To be 100% truthful, in the U14B, U14G and U16G divisions there were 4 groups of 3 teams, 2 advancing to quarters.
With a traditionally weak team in each group it was expected that ON, QC, BC, AB would all be there 9 out of 10 times.
And as for the others (all playing in 2 groups of 5 teams, group winner plays final), CMF and SU were strong teams way before the BCSPL (I think both played in the Nationals in previous years, Surrey definitely did and the core of the team is still there).

Regardless, we can safely say that the BCSPL clubs have been able to keep in their midst enough players of a high caliber (not all, of course) to field very competitive teams and that BC is being well represented in the National front.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/u-16-bo...eat-alberta-p152204&t=nationals_article&site=

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are my eyes bleeding....is this a youth discussion on TTP? Keep it quiet, don't tell Elmo!

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Latest updates:

U14B SU lost ON 4-0 will play 5-8 place

U16G MUFC lost ON 3-1 will play 5-8 place

U18B CMF tied ON 1-1 likely play for 3rd place
U18G FFC tied QC 1-1 likely play for 5th place

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
U14G SF lost ON 5-2 will play 5-8 place

Well, the format of the tournaments being what they are, the final position doesn't necessarily represent the relative strength of the teams. Add to it that you are playing 5 games in 6 days and where a team ends in the standing is a crap shoot. Consider that if the arguably 1st and 2nd strongest teams have some bad bounces against them and lose in the quarters we can easily have the 2 top teams fighting for 5th, right?

I'm a glass half-full kind of person. I think BC mostly hit where it should (all teams advanced from group stage in the 4G/3T format or tied the eventual group winners in the 2G/5T format) and I'm certain that some of the teams with a little more luck (I can't talk about refereeing because I didn't watch their games) could have gone further.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You read this forum like you read your students essays! ;)

I'll translate for you...

Tulio's boy and his team is playing for gold on Monday. Good luck to them!

The CMF Ajax U18's need a result tomorrow to secure a place in the 3rd place match-up. They haven't lost but the 2 ties have done them in. Although they dominated, they've struggled to score. Can't score, you can't win. Getting everyone back from university and college has been a nightmare but I'm sure it's the same for the others. Personally invested in this one as both my boys are playing in this one for Ajax.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, DJ. I was cheering for Ajax and I'm disappointed they won't have the chance to play in the final as they should. My youngest wasn't in very high spirits after dropping the games to QC and ON and getting knocked out of the medal round but, as I said to him, a common trait of good football players is a very short term memory and the ability to focus on what comes next. All the best to your boys in their last 2 games.

Anyway, in case anyone cares, just came back from U16B game, SU 7-0 over SK.
Yes the boys ARE playing for gold, went 4-0-0 and ended up top of the competition in goals scored (17) and goals against (2).
Does it matter if they don't win? Absolutely it does. They proved on the field to be the best team here, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Let's be real, the difference between advancing or not in a knock-out style competition is very slim and frequently the best team falls short. I'm sure that if it was a full round-robin home and away tourney you'd see CMF Ajax and some of the the other BC teams ending up on top more likely than not. In fact. if the BC representation came from the League standings, as it should be, some of these teams wouldn't be here at all.

But, in the words of that old Canucks' philosopher, it is what it is....

I'll slag the BCPL as much as the next guy when I see something wrong, but now I'm cheering for all BC teams, be they playing HPL, Metro, Gold or whatever.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks, Tulio. When you see Hugo and coach Frank, wish them good luck for me and the Barca boys!

CMF Ajax won 3-nil and will play Quebec in the 3rd place game tomorrow.

Let's be real, the difference between advancing or not in a knock-out style competition is very slim and frequently the best team falls short. I'm sure that if it was a full round-robin home and away tourney you'd see CMF Ajax and some of the the other BC teams ending up on top more likely than not. In fact. if the BC representation came from the League standings, as it should be, some of these teams wouldn't be here at all.

As I learned from a successful youth coach in the US who regularily qualifies for regionals/nationals, these competitions are what they are - a tournament! Sometimes your on form and do quite well that week, sometimes your not and you don't. You could play the tournament the next week and have a different result.

This tournament is not necessarily best on best for a couple of reasons. Not all league champions are there and I'm quite positive that Ontario's 3rd or 4th team is better than Saskatchewan's best, let alone the other weaker provinces. 16 team competition with Ont/Que/BC/Alta sending their league champs +either their 2nd place or Cup winners going as well would make for a better truer competion. If the Yukon or NWT pull out, than more teams can qualify from other provinces or from these stronger provinces. I believe there was 2 Ontario teams in the U14's. Why not invite 4 other teams to make it a 16 team tournament? That is why I liked the Super Y-League national Championships. Better representation of the best in the leagues. More of a "Champions League" format.

Thanks for the good lucks. I'll let Kyle and Adam know. It will be tough as Quebec seemed to have had one tough day earlier in the tournament where things didn't go their way and find them in the same position as Ajax are in, playing for bronze.

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey U14 Boys defeated PEI today 10-0.
Face ON-b tomorrow for 5th place.

Since they went to Canada Wonderland yesterday night after a disappointing loss to ON-a in the quarters, all I can say is I wish the coach had given them the amusement park treatment the day before....

Watching El Classico now on the laptop. Belongs in another thread but WTF no broadcast in Canada??? Couldn't someone get the rights from beIn Sport?

other results:

U16G MUFC 7-0 over NL face QC tomorrow for 5th
U18G FFC lost 1-0 MB

TulioMaravilha

Mar 6, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
As discussed before it is what it is in knock-out stages.
BC lost to ON-a (normal) and ON-b lost to QC (normal).
Cruised over whomever they faced next and now play each other for 5th.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You read this forum like you read your students essays! ;)

I'll translate for you...

Tulio's boy and his team is playing for gold on Monday. Good luck to them!

The CMF Ajax U18's need a result tomorrow to secure a place in the 3rd place match-up. They haven't lost but the 2 ties have done them in. Although they dominated, they've struggled to score. Can't score, you can't win. Getting everyone back from university and college has been a nightmare but I'm sure it's the same for the others. Personally invested in this one as both my boys are playing in this one for Ajax.

My apologies, Jonesy. I only saw the one post.......as for marking essays, just teaching Math and PE this year. ;) Hope things are going well for you.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0