Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2004 Nations Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations to Canada on the win over Scotland. Whether they deserved it or not is a MOOT point. I didn't watch the final surprisingly due to a beer garden commitment but apparently it was an even final??????

Jolly Rogers is a top notch lad and apparently I fancy a pint of 10W30. :(

On a positive note, we stuffed China today 4-2 and as usual Scotland won the O-30s, thanks to beating Canada AND playing a rubbish Slovakian defense......

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I disagree with the "rubbish Slovakian defense" shout. I thought the D was solid. Slovakia's undoing was the fact that we only had one guy who could score, and he tore his hammy in the game vs. India. Hard luck on our part, but you can't rely on one guy to do all the scoring.

Congrats should go out to Scotland on another title, and too Canada on the Open win.

Good to see so many TTPers out. And on behalf of the trees in the beer garden, I'd like to thank SC for holding them up. Nice work girlfriend. ;)

cerebral smallsy

Oct 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
extremely proud of the lads this weekend.
we were never going to be the most skilled squad, but there can be no denying the effort and defensive hardwork put forth - to a man.
the final was an even first half and a lovely finish by jolly to put us up. after that it was defend to the death and ride the coat tails of the tournament's real mvp...animal. shocking decision to give that to thriller.
semi-final shootout was nerve wracking and i did my best to dash the canadian hopes with a poorly taken spot shot, (as only a westside player can do), but was let off the hook immediately thereafter by an indo miss.
once again, well done canadian lads!!! now if i could just feel my legs...

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done Scotland O-30's, what a great team to be a part of, lots of heart in the 2-1 come from behind win over Canada with a man down. Sorry to hear about the incident in the Slovakia game where a guy goes away hurt, but you are playing Scotland, so you know it is going to be a bit physical.
All in all a great tourney again, probably the best tourney of the year.
How do I get my head PhotoShopped into the Scotland Team picture?

hos

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow.............what a great feeling! Being in this tourny for almost half my life and suffering through tough losses before and pure heartbreak in finals past, getting that win on the oval last night is just unbelievable!

I would like to offer congrats to Steve Frank. Total class in handling all of the lads all weekend and I think the end result shows that.

We were a squad of 20 and that obviously means some of the guys either got very little time or none at all and not a single moan was had.

As for the games and the stand outs in my mind there were many..........Mike Frank in net, Rob Toth and Wil Foulkes in the middle of the park and John Rogers up front. Todd Grunlund and Nick Nashlund were studs all weekend in the back!

Tillnextyear,

John

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As one of the organizers of the tournament, I’d like to thank everyone for their continued support of the Nations Cup. Great weather and a great turn make for a great couple of days of football. And this year was another success.

A minor glitch early on with Poland pulling out at the last minute, but no real controversy in the end as that group seemed to sort itself out accordingly.

Not sure if many people at the park were aware, but the minute of silence at the start of the Final was in memory of Alex Bell (fitting that Scotland were in the final to be a part of that). Alex and Joe Bell have been a big part of this tournament for many years.

As for myself … quite chuffed to make my debut with the Scotland 0-30s. Great bunch of lads and a well fought victory playing the majority of the last two matches down a man due to red cards in both games Sunday. Great goals by Dougie Muirhead and Harky in the final. Clinical stuff. Hopefully the Slovak lad who was carted off in the ambulance is ok. Any word?

And finally, hats off to my friends and former teamates on open age Canada squad. Regardless of some of the comments about their style of play, to get through their group, then through India in the semis, and the heavily favoured defending champs in the final is no small task. Well done.

Hopefully S. Frank is working on pooling the same group together for winter season :D

F

fstar

he's got a crushed larynx - probably one of the cheapest gutless hits of the tourney....he'll be alright in a couple of weeks though

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I was not at the Final, so I did not see the elbow, but I am sure there was no intent to injure the Slovakia player. The Scotland team plays a very physical game, look at all the yellow cards during the Canada game, so it is unfortunate that someone was hurt. I hope the best for that player.

hos

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right. The vicious elbow to the throat away from the ball was unintentional. You are a piece of work HOS.

Willy,

In my three and half minutes of playing time I never saw you and don't remember seeing you in the line up after. Had I, I surely would have bought you a pint. Next time.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
You are a piece of work HOS.

Yes a piece of work with his name on the O-30's Nations Cup. First year on the team and everything. I even set up the winner vs. Canada, magic OG, in fact I am writing into FIFA to have the OG Rule changed, the goal should be awarded to the last player to touch the ball for the team that scores, this will help take Bronco's name off the list for the many OG's he has in his career.

Oh by the way, TheRob, this is Willy, Willy this is TheRob, friends forever.

hos

Willy

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Next time indeed Rob. Assuming Tommy and Ronnie will have me back, you can buy me a pint after Scotland wins it again next year ;) I was playing left then rigfht midfield in the final, though I'm not sure how effectively.

I thought you were German? Or is it just your sense of humour that's German? ;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A minor glitch early on with Poland pulling out at the last minute, but no real controversy in the end as that group seemed to sort itself out accordingly.

That was a joke. How a team can not field a team for their first game, let alone any game, is incomprehensible. It did obviously impact a couple of things.........Scotland not playing a game in the morning before playing us and all teams getting the same 1 - 0 win. With the group as tight as it was that one game would have probably determined the winner of the group. No sour grapes here though. The tournament committee made the right decision to kick them out of the tournament.

As for the beer garden, Mackers did a good job of spinning the toons and he even played YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE, a song which he had no idea that a certain team in Glasgow sing before all their games. :D I was VERY disappointed with the fcuking $3.50 drinks. Yes, you could say that it is still cheaper than a pub BUT it is a football tournament. The hamburgers were kid sized and of course they were $3.50 too. The Shriners are certainly taking people to the cleaners and I'm guessing there were a lot more people this year bringing their own beverages and drinking them in the parking lot. Or even beside the tennis courts by the pitch and putt..... The Flying Beaver was a good laugh too, as quite a few of the beer garden stragglers decided to make the venture. The DJ was spinning a few good tunes too. Unfortunately, I suffered a detached right retina on the way to Beav and had to use something to help me get through the rest of the night. Also, I drank two beers that were right out of the microwave. Seriously, it was HOT beer and I have K-Vale 7 to thank for that. But when you're broke, you can't be picky about the things you consume. Although 10W30 motor oil is not recommended. The container actually looks like a Kaluha bottle and usually oil is not kept in the back pocket of the passenger seat. Fun Bobby was as usual....fun. :) SC was very responsible getting all 6 passengers to and from the Beav safely. Well done to everyone for a great evening.

Captain

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
Right. The vicious elbow to the throat away from the ball was unintentional. You are a piece of work HOS.

My impression is that they were tangling up as they battled for the ball and the elbow came backward unintentionally into his throat...certainly not trying to do that ( I'm not saying he still wasn't throwing the elbow) but nevertheless reckless and damaging.
He could have been still choked about taking a 4 inch gash on his head that need stitches from an earlier bonk. But he felt bad about the incident after.
Just another reminder to play hard but show restraint.

Four in a row for the over 30 Scotland crew :D I'm not sure how many they've won in total...missed England this year...they have been one of the best teams over the last few years.

Dave Harkison's goal in the over 30's final is my nomination for goal of the tournament (all divisions??) For those who saw a number of games...what were some other notable goals, and did any approach Harky's brilliance?
Harky was telling me he played in this tourney 22 years ago, and I know Arnie played nearly that long ago as well.
What a great tradition...it's an honour to play in this tourney.

Thanks to organizers, and I didn't feel as bad paying the $3.50 a pint knowing there's a charity connection.:)

Cheers to the Scotland boys once again :D

Aves

Aves

Jan 5, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aves said:
Dave Harkison's goal in the over 30's final is my nomination for goal of the tournament (all divisions??) For those who saw a number of games...what were some other notable goals, and did any approach Harky's brilliance?

balls, you had a lot of time in the garden to be the judge ;) , or were you putting your shirt back on when Harky scored? :D

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Unfortunately, I suffered a detached right retina on the way to Beav and had to use something to help me get through the rest of the night.
The hand held rearview mirror works wonders when you can't really see. ;)
when you're broke, you can't be picky about the things you consume. Although 10W30 motor oil is not recommended. The container actually looks like a Kaluha bottle and usually oil is not kept in the back pocket of the passenger seat.
And none of us were going to say anything about that mishap.

The guy spinning at the Beav did a good job with the 89'/91'/2'/3'ish tunes.

It was nice to be on the sidelines spectating some great footy action. Congrats to all who participated and especially 'congrats' to some good Canadian kids :)

It was great to see some old faces around, hang with some rival co-eders ;), and yes, hold up the trees. Throbby, did you meet my new best friends "Birch" and "Cedar"?

Always a good "show" ;)

+designatedSC :rolleyes:

I was highly disappointed that both Ballbaby and Stu didn't disrobe on Sunday :mad: :eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Are you kidding, SC? Ballbaby was disrobed the whole tournament. Even when the clouds rolled in, he still felt the need to show off his 'Zeus' like body. I reminded him numerous times to put his fcuking shirt on because I was getting jealous. I have one question though, Ballbaby. For someone who has that much hair on your chest, you didn't appear to have much else anywhere else. Not that I noticed but someone did bring it to my attention. My question is this.....how painful is waxing the back and shoulders? :)

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain Shamrock said:
Are you kidding, SC? Ballbaby was disrobed the whole tournament. Even when the clouds rolled in, he still felt the need to show off his 'Zeus' like body. I reminded him numerous times to put his fcuking shirt on because I was getting jealous. I have one question though, Ballbaby. For someone who has that much hair on your chest, you didn't appear to have much else anywhere else. Not that I noticed but someone did bring it to my attention. My question is this.....how painful is waxing the back and shoulders? :)

It was a Greek experiment back in the sixties, a special kind of breeding amongst Northern Greeks. The Greek Dictatorship was trying desperately to create a special kind of Greek with hair growth in specially selected areas of the body. They were trying to segregate the Northeners from the hairy Southerners. Lucky it didn't work or we would have had another Ireland fiasco to deal with. There are more like me but rarely do they exhibit themselves shamelessly like I did. I did want to impress you and I am relieved to know that you were studying the hair growth patterns of my body. Perhaps if I stayed a little longer I would have accompanied you all to the " Flying Beaver" and I would have teabagged you after you downed the 10/30 of motor oil and passed out. If you happened to pop open one of your emerald green eyes while my testes were hanging in your well defined chiseled face, you would have noticed that this "special breeding" of the sixties has done a marvelous job in my genitalia area. (just noticed that genitalia has a clever correlation)

By the way, what lesson were you giving that young maiden who was staring into your eyes like you used to be her teacher or something? :rolleyes:

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aves said:
balls, you had a lot of time in the garden to be the judge ;) , or were you putting your shirt back on when Harky scored? :D

Aves, I turned my head for a second, heard the roar of the appreciative crowd, saw Harky on his butt with his arms in the air, and Jenn his wife rushing onto the field engulfing him with kisses. It was something to behold. I also saw Jenn have to wrestle you off Harky to get to him. You are very passionate Aves, very passionate. :eek: :eek:

I missed the fricken goal but it must have been good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts