Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [2008 Division 2/3 Cup] Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
DPR 3 Green Devils 2.

The never-ending season has not ended. I thought we had a Zero % chance to play this game on Saturday given the weather Friday night and the 2 inches of snow on the ground everywhere I saw around the city. We pulled up to VanTech School at 11AM thinking we would find a white turf field instead of green. Miraculously the only non-white area in view was the field itself. Once we arrived we got super pumped for the game as we had not had the result we had hoped for, and likely deserved, in the Cup semis.

The Green Devils and their surprisingly quick, yet whinny #14 forward, have had our number for years, so we wanted this game for more than just wanting to continue the season and get to the Provincials.

We fielded a strong starting line-up and held our own in the first half, having the better chances, but were one down at half after a fantastic finish off a free-kick by the other Devils' striker about 25 into the game.

The game was very chippy, and I know we are not considered angels by any means, but the Devils have to be one of the dirtiest teams we have played in a long time (since Richmond last year). They went into many tackles late, punched and kicked behind the refs back.. Regardless, I suppose that is what makes is Div 2 soccer at times, and certainly the ref did not help. It was the same ref that ran the semis we were in versus Bombastic, and by the sounds of it the same one that reffed the finals. He is shite, plain and simple, and gets off making ridiculous calls. He handed out an early and totally undeserved red to the Devils solid mid-fielder about 35 minutes in and handed out a tonne of warnings also.

The second half saw the Devils carry the play early, and score what should've been their ticket to the Provincials about 25 minutes from the end.

DPR, however, dug deep and earned a penalty kick on a hand ball with 15 to play. 1-1.
We started to play our game, making good passes after the Devils lost another man to a red. We tied it on a great run down the left from our MVP striker, and somehow scored the winner with about 3 minutes to play on a great cross from the same player to our speedy other striker who stretched out to get a toe on the ball to extend the season.

On to the Provincials and a chance to finally beat Bombastic.
And damn did it feel good to shut up the Devils and their incessant complaining and bitching... Have a fun off-season.

Sep 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bandcamp,

Not to discredit your victory against us this year, but we certainly don't play the same kick and run style of soccer that give you nothing more than a .500 record every year. We didn't beat you guys because we didn't make good passes. We made good passes and beat GD.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bandcamp,

Not to discredit your victory against us this year, but we certainly don't play the same kick and run style of soccer that give you nothing more than a .500 record every year. We didn't beat you guys because we didn't make good passes. We made good passes and beat GD.

Oh PUHLEASE are you kidding me? After Bombastic there was no difference between DPR, Shaheen, Squamish and PGR. We kick and run? Since when? You guys make nice passes? Since when? That's quite a strategy BTW.

Like I said, congrats on making the BC's. Not easy to do, nice passes or not :rolleyes:

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too young,

Our strength is in our midfielders. We had problems finishing all year with our forwards, so a kick and run type of game would be exactly the style that would work against us. Moving it through our midfielders generated all of our success this year. Kick and run, not so much. Congrats on the Provincials - you guys & Shaheen were the "best of the rest" in 2B this year in my opinion.

Chazling

Sep 16, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
If anyone believes DPR's version of the 3rd/4th cup playoff, they need their heads screwing on.

We were beating them comfortably 2-0 despite playing the whole game with 10men because of that ridiculous ref. Then they get a penalty given when their forward kicked the ball against the arm of a man lying on the ground and we just fell apart, getting another man sent off.

Has anyone else who has played the Devils ever found us to be a dirty team? DPR were much dirtier, they were just good at doing it while the ref's not looking. And yes, the do still play hoof and chase.

Sep 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny about the hoof and chase comment. You guys must've fed Charlie 10 balls from your back line to him up front. Which team took the 2 reds? I think that is a good indication as to which team was dirtier... Enjoy your summer off.

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I haven't played against GDs this year, but in previous years, they definitely do not fall into the "dirty" category. Any game with a crap ref has the ability to "get dirty" pretty quickly, especially in Div 2.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats to DPR and division 2B for placing two of the three VMSL representatives into the B Cup.

Winner for most annoying poster = Bandcamp. How many times do we have to hear how Div.2B is the strongest division? Because they beat the huge odds and had 2 of the semi-finalists in the Cup, when statistically they should have only had 1? Give us all a break. It doesn't say anything at all about your team and how you managed your usual 5th place finish.

Six of One

Jan 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Has anyone else who has played the Devils ever found us to be a dirty team?

He handed out an early and totally undeserved red to the Devils solid mid-fielder about 35 minutes in and handed out a tonne of warnings also.

GDs are not overly dirty, no, with the exception of who the above guy sounds like. If it is the stocky centre-mid with the English accent, then I have no doubt he deserved whatever he got. That guy goes into every tackle trying to put someone out of the game.

bluemammoth

Feb 4, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Winner for most annoying poster = Bandcamp. How many times do we have to hear how Div.2B is the strongest division? Because they beat the huge odds and had 2 of the semi-finalists in the Cup, when statistically they should have only had 1? Give us all a break. It doesn't say anything at all about your team and how you managed your usual 5th place finish.

Yeah, he's definitely the most annoying poster. But careful taking the piss out of Bandcamp. You might wake up his imaginary friend.:D

Sep 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with you, Teelay, that it was because of the ref that the game was uglier than it should've been. He negatively influenced the game and that led to there being more reds and warnings than usual. That ref has to go. We even had the luxury of linesmen (why in the 3rd/4th place game and not the semis, who knows?)who stood there and seemed scared sh*less to make a call.
Yep, it was the stocky midfielder who was sent off, but their number 3 deserved to go more with his antics. I know we also have our share of players that other teams find annoying too; it is part of the game at all levels. I think calling the Devils the dirtiest team was a stretch, as there are plenty of quality guys on GD, such as their captain. Too bad such players were overshadowed by guys like #3 who not only kick behind the refs back, but whine to the ref like a 4 year old girl who lost her soother when things aren't going his way..

Finally, I think Bandcamp is just trying to make himself feel better about another mediocre finish. Should've, would've could've...

Bandcamp, we all know it is impossible to compare the strengths and weaknesses of each division based on just a few match ups.

green

Apr 20, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Things I remember from the game.

DPR's #11 forward, dropping at every challenge crying on the ground for 2 minutes then getting up running away from the ref laughin at the player who'd fouled him.
Same #11 Stomping on GD#3's groin and later his ankle.
#11 Elbowing 2 GD players behind the ref.
Same #11 creating all three DPR's goals, although the first PK was a terrible call by a terrible ref and never should've happened. He could be a good player if he wasn't such a c0cksucker.

DPR #9 Crying for 2 minutes in the first half after being fouled.(I swear I saw tears)
#9 stirring sh*t up with GD#3 acting tough, bumping chests and then running to the ref crying (again) about being "punched".
#9 acting tough again... He couldn't be a good player but he's still a c0cksucker.

All in all the game was terrible, it really only escalated because of a TERRIBLE ref, and two linesmen who had no business collecting money, they didn't even put the flag up for balls going out.

As for GD's playing kick and run, we were kind of forced too after being down 1 man and then 2. DPR was not a strong side at all, #11 was their best (and their worst). The back 9 of the team seemed like decent guys but the pair up front were slimy at best.

That said they beat 9 of us, after losing to 10 of us... hats off to them and their c0cksucker ref.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
GD#3 seems to be the common denominator in the two situations, sounds like a real cocksucker.....might be a good player though

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Call me annoying all you want...but at least I can read.

I have NEVER said our division was the strongest...in fact I don't even think that. I said our division was very evenly matched and after Bombastic, the next 5 teams are very close. Made for a competitive year.

What I also said was congrats to two 2B teams for making the BC's. If you take this to mean our division is better than yours then that's your problem and not mine.

I also had a little go at Too Young for the nice passes comment. TTP. Heard of it?

For arguments sake - is there another opportunity throughout the season to compare the quality in 2A,B,C and CAT to each other? One could say the cup is this opportunity couldn't they? Whether you believe the strongest division places their teams in the final 3 (BC's) or not is always up for debate but I'm unclear on another comparable throughout the year...so I'm all ears, Einstein.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0