Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2008 Entry Draft

redwoods

Oct 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cody Hodgson Profile

Draft#:9*
Cody Hodgson
Ht/Wt:5.11/182 lbs
Position:C
Drafted From:Brampton

Cody Hodgson Player Profile
Cody has great speed and is very strong on his skates. He has an amazing first few strides that gets him to open ice fast!

His shot is above average and he is very accurate with it. I have seen him score from just about everywhere on the ice. He's used on the PK and is very dangerous, he anticipates the play very well and gets turnovers because of it.

Smart player who can be played in all situations, keeps getting better. I wish he played for another coach as I think Butler holds back his total offensive potential. Flying up the draft board and is a fave of HockeyProspect.com - had the chance to coach against him a few years back, he is a game plan changer. Opposing coaches earn their cheque figuring out ways to shut him down.

Submitted by: HockeyProspect.com

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's all that seperates them? I must have missed all the Cody Hodgson youtube videos then. I hope skipping on Beach doesn't come back to bite us in the ass.

I have to agree.

A guy that emulates Jerome Iginla, and aspired to play like him, and be as strong a role model on / off the ice...that is the type of player we need.

The book on Cody Hodgson seems pretty solid, just a bit safe for me, and I thought Gillis was about taking chances.

We'll see...

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to agree.

A guy that emulates Jerome Iginla, and aspired to play like him, and be as strong a role model on / off the ice...that is the type of player we need.

The book on Cody Hodgson seems pretty solid, just a bit safe for me, and I thought Gillis was about taking chances.

We'll see...

Gillis stressed that he was going to draft players based on their intelligence, character and integrity, everything Beach apparently doesn't have and Hodgson does. If Gillis did choose Beach instead I would be concerned if he really knows which direction he wants to take this team.

Best bit of info I have heard regarding the two is that Hodgson was the U18 Canada captain while Canada wouldn't touch Beach with a 10 foot pole.

mugjamari

Mar 5, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hodgson>> Beach

This was a very good pick. He put up big numbers playing on a defensive team. He also ripped up the u 18's, outscoring everyone ( including filatov) Keep in mind Beach didn't even make that team....

I was hoping the Canucks picked him, thank the Islanders for passing on him

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll fully admit I didn't know a thing about him, and was more disappointed than anything when they passed on Beach.

One glarring thing I hears was a bit of a lack of footspeed, and he isn't exactly big. But hey, can't argue w/ the credentials.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
We took Yann Sauve with our second pick. I was hoping we'd take Jared Staal as he was available, and is supposed to be the most talented of the Staal brothers (but least motivated, thus the drop in ranking). A little bit of a push and he could be great too. Now he goes to a Phoenix team who looks to be stacked for the next couple years.

redwoods

Oct 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canucks Select Yann Sauve in the Second Round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft Vancouver Canucks Jun 21, 2008, 10:51 AM EDT Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have selected defenceman Yann Sauve in the second round, 41st overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

Sauve, 18, was a member of Saint John in the 2007-08 season where he recorded 21 points (6-15-21) and 92 penalty minutes in 69 games played. The 6’2”, 209 lbs defenceman played in the 2008 CHL Top Prospects game, picking up one assist.

In 2007, Sauve participated in the 2007 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament and was named an assistant captain for Team Canada. He was also one of two 15-year-olds named to the Quebec team that competed at the 2006 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Regina, Saskatchewan.

Sauve played Midget AAA for the Chateauguay Patriotes before being selected first overall by the Sea Dogs in the 2006 Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Draft.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cory Hodgson looks to be a good pick but again these guys don't always pan out. He is reported to be a quality guy which helps when making the jump to the next level which will be the big jump in his career. Almost sounds like they are looking for the next Trevor Linden when you read the accolades this guy gets.

I hadn't seen Beach play but listened to the TSN guys quote Doug Soetaert (a former New West Bruin coach with Ernie McLean) who said positive things but also said he can be a Sean Avery. The TSN guys were saying that it is the off ice stuff that keeps NHL teams away.

Some articles suggest he takes responsibility for his errors but what I read it sounds more like a lot of excuses. His concussions last year might be a factor also.

What was interesting was the appearance on stage of Ron Delorme between the pick and the GM.

Maybe in his review the new GM found that the scouts weren't being listened to but that they made quality picks which were being rejected. Or, Gillis couldn't fire everyone before the draft in which case another shoe or two will drop in the near future.

I felt bad for the young draft pick being chosen immediately after Tambellini's mention of Luc Bourdon. It is too bad the NHL didn't acknowledge that loss early and keep it separate from this draft pick.

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The rest of our picks:

5th - Prab Rai, C - Surrey boy most noted as being very fast and talented but plays soft.
6th - Mats Froshaug, C - Norwegian international, apparently did well for them at the World Juniors and is playing well in the Swedish Junior League
7th - Morgan Clark, G - Name ring a bell? Son of our goalie consultant, Ian Clark.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0