Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[2008 Olympics Women] Canada 1 - 2 USA [AET]

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Halftime after a lengthy rain delay and Canada, somehow, is even with the excited states.

This is brutal fcuking soccer.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [2008 Olympics Women] Canada 1 - 1 USA [HT]

cbcsports.ca should be streaming it.

there was a delay? pitch looks pretty good.

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

Lebanc is in net? did Erin Mcleod get hurt?

Oh there's the water :eek:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin

She hurt her knee.

This is still fcuking shocking soccer.

I think I can run faster than Lang, WTF? :eek:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: [2008 Olympics Women] Canada 1 - 1 USA [ET]

Just saw the result. Should we be shocked by this?

Regs- you saw the game. Be honest, cause you know we'll get a bunch of appologetic media types spinning it the other way. Did the Canadians have a hope, based on style of play and ability?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Just picked this Post up from CBC.ca:

Surprise, surprise, after having the ball for 90% of the time the Americans scored. the score might reflect a close game since it was in extra time but the actual still of play is disgusting. Canada coaches and players need a lesson in ball control, passing, dribbling and instinctive surges of energy. Yuo run at times and not at others. Let Americans play with the ball in their end. I am not talking about winning or losing or effort. I am talking about the kick long and hope mentality that can only beat weak teams.

Coaches where did you learn this?

Kjohn...still think it is a good idea to play "to the style" of the team we have?

Captain- can't wait to read your comments. When are you going to take over that squad?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Another:

i've actually come away from watching this game because i can't watch any more. canada is lucky to be 1-1 and the usa's style of play is far superior. good control on the ball, better passing of the ball versus canada's long ball and constant give aways.

canada needs to use their heads more and show some composure, slow the tempo and be less desperate.

~DudeonafridayAMrampage.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

The "style" was absolutely embarrassing. OK, I can sorta live with playing long-ball. What I can't though is mindlessly humping the ball to no one in fcuking particular.

We are not talking about players being under pressure and needing to get the ball outta danger. This is just get the ball, put your head down and hump it as far as you can, but make sure it is to the opposite side as your strikers are.

Women's soccer at this level is mince for what it is billed to be. Seriously. People can argue all they want but if the #1 ranked team in the world cannot punish a side for playing as poorly, yes poorly, as Canada, I cannot say the game is progressing one iota.

Harsh based on one game maybe but I've seen enough.

That being said, I suppose it is hard to play any other style when you are/were coached by Squiggy.

Attachments

• squiggy.jpg
    squiggy.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 75
  • pellerud_evan030827.jpg
    pellerud_evan030827.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 64

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
But Regs, we play the style to the tallent we have? You mean it doesn't work? How can this be?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah the style sucks. But someone explain why Kara Lang looks like a fcuking slug out there. Too much running tired her out? Please! These are supposed to be world-class athletes. If they are not, quit fcuking wasting my time and everyone's energy with cry-baby stories on lack of funding. (that's a slag at the WNT not your rants in the other thread Dude :D )

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs- I agree 100%.

You're correct- they should be world class. In this team's case, they had two years w/ funding to sort themselves out.

One place to point when lack of money isn't the reason...no reason why these girls should not have been competitve. They had their sights set on Gold. Failed miserably.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I PVR'd this one and forgot that I would most likely see the result by getting on to TTP. I'm glad that I now don't have to watch that shite. It's almost impossible not to get angry while watching because it really looks like they have no clue. The real question now is will their style of play change now that Pellerud is gone? Isn't he being replaced by the U19 coach who's name escapes me right now? Isn't that where most of these girls first learned that to make the senior national team they need to kick really hard?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No shite.

This is a tangeant, but one of the biggest things that pissed me off in coaching youth (U-9 last year) was the "KICK IT HARDER" screams.

Not just from parents...

I'm coaching the sidelines at a late season tournament. Now, we had an average group of kids w/ three exceptional players. We'd always tried to coach skills, and short passes. Ton's of individual ball time at practice (KNVB sorted us out on that). It's hard w/ the little guys, but last year they started to really get it. Fun to watch, especially when the less skilled boys got involved in moving it around. There were times when I was in awe of how well they worked together- plumbers and exceptional players alike.

The only team that consistently beat them was a team stacked w/ some big, athletic players. 4 or 5 hockey kids. This team played kick and run, right up the middle, and have three guys constantly converging on our ceter back / keeper. While our kids tried to play as they are coached, so did these kids. Every time last year they beat our kids. A couple of close games, and a couple of thumpings.

In that last tourney game, I was standing right next to their coach and listened as he told his big, athletic, and skillful full back the following: "When you get the ball, I want you to kick it as hard as you can up to ______, over all these guys heads".

When his player walked on, and the coach was alone, I asked him at what point he's going to start teaching his kids how to play the game. His answer to me was, "Well, we're beating you, aren't we?

He was a hockey guy, and it totally showed.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see a Kurtenblogger is poaching your website, Regs. ;)

Why doesn't that guy post anymore? Too good for us lowly TTPers?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Almost forgot to post this thought:

While Timko was being tended to after getting a knee to the ribs, I thought to myself: Now there is probably the best athlete on the pitch right now. Too bad it was the trainer for Canada :D

Hi Kuschy!

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't see much of the game other than the last few minutes and OT and our women looked brutally out of shape out there. The Americans still had pace and the Canadians were out of gas 30 minutes before that.
I would imagine the style of soccer has to play into that.

Who's taking over for Pellerud after this?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0