Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Nations Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bob, we have to love ya. You are certainly a German: I thought my German ex-wife was stubborn.

Of course then again you are not an heiress to the Porshe estate.

That is another story i guess.

Sir M..

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bob, we have to love ya. You are certainly a German: I thought my German ex-wife was stubborn.

Sir M..

Oh, please!!!! Don't say that! I can't stand those damn Germans!

I'm 1/2 Italian, 1/2 English.

Played Italy up to 1996 when we won Open. Then Italy didn't put in a team to defend it's title. So I went and played with my friends at Germany from 1997 on.
Grandfathered into it now (Tourney execs gave me permission at that time).

I wish I was back with Italy.........playing central mid in the Open.....until I'm 49......slowly jogging around in a 20 yard radius.....watching every player pass be going forward and back......never touching the ball.......teaching the young guys the meaning of character.:rolleyes:;):rolleyes::confused::D:):eek::cool::p

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Played Sapp for the last 3 years, played roughly 1/2 games in Premier with no complaints and scored 6 goals. Played mostly full minutes in Div1. Great kid.

JB, name me one half decent player who would sit there and accept being snubbed by a 49 year-old who is incapable of playing in a game of that magnitude. I know you wouldn't. What does that say about your character? Paul Favs would never take it - and we all know how highly regarded he is. I can name/show you 300 players around the league that would not take the blatant old friend favouritism. The bottom line is it says nothing about his character.

You can argue about other things that happen and what it says about a player, but not this.

WAB,

No where in my previous post did I ever mention about him or anyone having to be satisfied with the decision as it is about individual preferences about his abilities, as stated in my previous post.

What I was saying is that there is a better way of dealing with it then running to mommy (or buddies) in hopes that the issue will be solved by some good old slagging of others:rolleyes: to rebuild the ego. Instead of looking at what the individual may or may not be doing to justify the limited playing time, discuss it with the coach. This may not solve the issue either but at least you took the responsible & respectable way out and maybe learned something during the process about yourself.

JB ~ Moving on:D

Great tournament as usual, congrats to the organizers and volunteers who put in countless hours behind the scenes to make this a great success for others.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to chat with any of you as the beer garden got my attention most of Sunday. I will e-mail you at a later date.

Cheers
JB

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anything I did was on my own accord.....And you are correct.
Congratulations on a dominating performance by England. You guys got better and better every game.

Cheers
WAB ~ trying to move on, but I have the feeling I won't.....that's the Germania side of me.:rolleyes:

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW, JB, after the Nation Cup 2008, this player was asked by Sporting to go play with them last year in Premier. If he was suitcase player who thought that he was the greatest, why did he tough it out in Div1 with Sapp and commit to getting us back in Premier? He committed to an entire season of dedication and hard work.

Now that I'm on this topic, what does it say about the character of young players leaving teams that are now in Div1, and going to Premier teams after being part of the reason why the team was relegated?
That must not sit well with some.
(Older guys I can understand.....reasons I can get into another day.)

WAB,

That is awesome that he decided to stick with you guys that shows something about your club and him. IMO his actions on the weekend were not be something that I would recommend but remember this is coming from and out of shape, getting old Scotsman. :eek:

I am not here to challenge other players moving teams and I have no idea how this conversation went from the player we were discussion to every other person in soccer community.

JB ~ MOVED ON!!

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would like to suggest 2 things to the organizers .
1-India v Italy - the indian supporters were standing right on the touchline when there were so many empty seats on the bleachers.The same happened against China where they were blocking the view of those behind them.There should be action taken against the indians for their supporters behaviour.

The execs should follow the lead of VANOC and make an "India Fan Free-Speech/Supporting Zone" where they can mingle and cheer as loud as they want as long as it doesn't interfere with other fans cheering or mingling. Make sure the pepper-spraying RCMP are standing close by.:)

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Controversy.....
Was the Scotland O30's better than the OPEN?

I didn't see the Open play, but the O30's had some impressive players.

JB? Anyone?

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did Dickens ever actually get on the field for anyone? .

Just passing on an outsiders question Dickens.

WAB, as far as the Scotland open vs over 30 debate goes, the Scotland open side was very late getting organized, which is really too bad, as they lost several top notch players as a result. But the open side did defeat the tournament champs, albeit in a game that did not mean much to England. They would kill any over 30s side though, especially if the over 30s Scotland side slid them a couple players...:p

PS, who was tournament MVP?

Sir M.

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations to the entire Portuguese TEAM (coaching staff included) on getting our team further than any other Portuguese team every has. It's awesome that so many people were impressed with our results and even more impressive that a team Germany coach watched our games so intently. I hope he learned from our experience :rolleyes:. They have a young talented team and truly are one to watch in the upcoming years.

Our center mid did everything we needed them to do to get us that far. They plugged up the middle against a much deeper and more talented Italian midfield and that allowed us to eventually win the game in PKs. Our coaching staff is brilliant and I thank you two fine gentlemen for making the decisions you made. I know it can be tough and not everyone will agree with you but that's what coaches have to deal with. We went as far as we possibly could and we have no reason to hang our heads.

NOVA, DF didn't get into the game because he didn't want to. He was asked by our acting coach at that time and apparently declined.

Congrats to England and cheers to the Nations Cup Crew.

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nations Cup Awards

Men's MVP - Milad Rahmati - England
Women's MVP - Meghan Callaway - Canada
Golden Boot - Jag Gill - India
Top Defender - Mark Gomes - Portugal

Leftonly

Jul 18, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am with KNVB, with Dan Penner in the pipes (not that I know who he is, but I do know who HOS is) we would take the Open squad, based on this years player personnel. Christ - CJ/HOS, asked me for a wall from 55 yards out, and then the nut shot it at him, and the deflection almost did his knee in he got so scared.

Was one of the most enjoyable Nations I have had in years, and KNVB is actually getting better with age - still will never get how someone can go back and forward from striker and center back so easily, and clear the ball at both ends so easily:D....but he was outstanding for us. On the other side, as much as I hate to admit, WAB was the glue for Germany - and every time they got the ball when he was on the park they slowed the game down like it was indoor lacrosse and subbed the defenders for attackers. When he went off, pace of the game changed and we dominated. And WAB, you did not have as many "half chances" as us, because if you did - you would have thrashed us...see top paragraph for why. Your goalie made some big saves, while we put 15 to 20 crosses into his hands and the beer garden. But your team was organised and committed.

Can't believe no one has commented on Eggy's Friday night game performance, 12 drinks minimum at Yaletown Cactus - opened up a bakery full of turnovers by half-time and we still kept him on in the second.

The only suggestion for next year, and given my entire post is full of shite - would be to play one game Friday night, two games Saturday, especially for the open. I loved seeing Portugal (mainly bcs they got relegated, was good to see them shut others up who thought they had no chance) get to the final, but going OT, take a piss, have some mini doughnuts, and then play the final was impossible for them. That would be it for me....and maybe Penner comes back and 0-30's Scotland returns to the Open division...

Til next year.
AK

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's awesome that so many people were impressed with our results and even more impressive that a team Germany coach watched our games so intently. I hope he learned from our experience :rolleyes:. They have a young talented team and truly are one to watch in the upcoming years.

The Germans had a very young team that will get better next year. I thought Portugal had too much talent on Friday night and just flat out wanted it more. I hope the young guys all learned that nothing beats intensity and desire in a long, hot tournament.

Looking forward to next year.......

Fantastic Weekend!

dickens_cider

Aug 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just passing on an outsiders question Dickens.

WAB, as far as the Scotland open vs over 30 debate goes, the Scotland open side was very late getting organized, which is really too bad, as they lost several top notch players as a result. But the open side did defeat the tournament champs, albeit in a game that did not mean much to England. They would kill any over 30s side though, especially if the over 30s Scotland side slid them a couple players...:p

PS, who was tournament MVP?

Sir M.

Trece, I could only see the field from the fenced in Garden...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts