Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Nations Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Geordie......two potential finalists indeed......lots of pace and skill. My two favorite teams in the tournament.......for obvious reasons. ;) They should merge and form IRDIA.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For those that aren't fimiliar with the Nations Cup, the tournament is made up of players playing for their countries of origin or ethnic backgound.

So, Ristricted you need to find out the team that you are eligable to play for and then contact the team manager to discuss playing opportunities. You can contact us at info@thenationscup.com

Are there anymore games planned??

Yes, Restricted, because no teams ever play players who aren't actually that nationality or have grandparents who are. :D It has also never happened that a player has played for more than one country over the years. That's the one thing I would like to see changed. It would stop guys like Reedie playing in the Ireland Open team in the early 90s and then jumping to the Scotland Over 30s. :mad:

:D

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
.....Kabbadi Park... the pitch is at the back right corner of the temple !It is in good shape and a great place to take in a game..........kinda reminds me of the kinsman in it's beauty days.......

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chazling;284071 I am from England But I'll play for anyone that needs players.[/QUOTE said:
Surely this cant be true -do the organizers allow players to play for any country ?
Whats the point of calling it a nations cup - a player should only play for the country he ,his parents, grandparents came from.
Switching countries should not be allowed.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
ha ha , we,re talking football here mate - its supposed to be a nations cup so if players can just switch countries then it can,t really be classed as such .

Klaus

Nov 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just a thought...to make ALL games in the tourney more meaningful. i.e. Sunday 3rd games after you know you're mathematically eliminated. Many teams in the past have packed it in or no-showed, etc. at this point. IF the planners of the Nations Cup considered:
-'relegating' the bottom team or two from each division in the tourney
-replacing the spot(s) with a deserving wait listed team the following year
This would make things very interesting to the very end. As there are no more spots in any divisions due to field retrictions, etc. and many teams waiting to gain entry, I think that this is a fair way to encourage the better teams to stay in the tournament. Any teams who 'flake out' should be sent away and go to the bottom of the wait list.

Just my opinion. Cheers, Klaus

Stupidlyandslowlysltillinopen

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Klaus,

Your idea is good but will this not cause more players to switch teams, which the organizers are fighting with every year. If there team is relegated from the previous year I am sure that the players that are good enough on that team are not going to wait several years to get back in the tournament.

Why not hold this tournament on a long weekend and have larger pools, this would allow those teams waiting to fight fair and square and increase the atmosphere.

Mytwocents.

Cheers
JB

Klaus

Nov 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JB. I agree with the fact that Nations Cup would be a lot better/bigger if it was held on a long weekend, but this is probably a lot easier said than done.

As for players switching teams, it could happen but maybe a 1-yr 'sit-out' rule could be required if it is a legit switch. For illegit switches, a player should simply be banned from further play in the tournament ever. For a legit example, a player who is a mutt and has grandparents from France, Germany, and Poland surely should not be allowed to switch freely.

Good ideas anyways.

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You make and interesting point about players switching. Maybe some form of signature is required for the first game from every player that indicates that they can no longer play for another country.

This is a little bit of paper work but is just a suggestion.

Having any players that are"MUTTS" make an appeal to the executive would be a way around this. If a player is found making the switch then the country involved should be punished in some form.

However, this should be discussed between all teams and would be interesting to be in the middle of to see what others views are.

Cheers
JB

ginger tours

Apr 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
JB / Klaus / GEORDIE

All good points that have been extensively discussed by the committee over the course of the last year.

Regarding player eligibilty we have introduced rosters this year to help us track players and their eligibilty in the future. However even as we build the database it is difficult to effectively police this sort of thing and short of asking to see passports and the birth certificates of parents and grandparents we will continue to rely, as the tournament has always done, on a degree of honesty and fair play from both coaches and players.

The weekend is about the coming together of individuals based on their ethnicity and the collective pride in representing a country that means something to them.

It should be noted that the executive is committed to do whatever has to be done to maintain the integrity of the tournament and that while certain indiscretions have been noted in the past, individual ethnicity or lack of is becoming a concern.

With reference to the somewhat meaningless Sunday games for teams that have been already eliminated I believe we have addressed that to a certain extent by eliminating Argentina from this years event - hopefully this will send out a sufficient message to those eliminated by the Sunday but still hoping to appear in future tournaments.

We have also discussed at length the possibility of play offs prior to the tournament for those teams either finishing rank last in the previous years tournament or not performing on the Sunday versus those wishing to gain entrance. As you can imagine organising the tournament over one weekend takes some effort as it is, switching the tournament to a long weekend or adding a play off weekend prior to the actual tournament would add considerably to the work load.

On the flip side we are always looking to maintain the level of soccer at the tournament so scenarios such as these should not be ruled out should one or a number of teams fail to live up to the standards expected of them.

As for the players switching teams we have discussed, but not implemented, a rule for those players wishing to switch teams to sit out a year. We think this would be a significant deterent and feedback would be appreciated on this.

Lean - feel free to interject if there is anything missing!

Cheers!

lean

Sep 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ginger,

Well said....The competitive aspects of the tournament are rarely in question as most teams feel a sense of pride playing for their nation but when it does happen we have reacted. Argentina was not allowed back into the tournament this year and others in the past have been removed as well.

The committee is always looking for ways to improve the tournament and have taken quite a few initiatives over the years to advance it. Adding the Women's group 5 years ago was a huge success followed by the addition of playing on Friday nights. We are always looking for suggestions and are open to discussing any idea that is for the betterment of the tournament. Like adding Bike Racks for people to lock-up their Bikes:eek:

Cheers,
Lean

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
To go back to the 'eligibility' issue.....

For certain countries, it is very difficult to get 'legitimate' players and still manage to stay competitive. I will be honest and say that the Irish Community does not have enough 'quality' players to be competitive in the tournament each year. Once one team starts adding players to strengthen their squads(even if the players have played with other countries) then it becomes an 'uneven' playing field. In order to compete players have to be brought in..even if they don't have the grandparents from that country. What is the capital of the Caribbean?

In the womens' tournament, Ireland will have a several girls playing for them who if I'm guessing correctly, don't have an Irish background. I haven't seen too many Irish girls with the last names Kitagawa and Hirayama over the years. Without these girls, who play for teams I have coached in high school or club level, we wouldn't be able to put out a team to compete. There is no Japan team in the tournament so do we say these girls can't play in the tournament, if they really want to? Ireland will have the first 14 year-old in the womens' divison playing. This tournament is supposed to be a tournament for everybody to enjoy themselves and see people you see once a year. Don't be TOO strict with the rules in terms of players playing because at the end of the day, the supporters come out to support their country of choice....and more often than not, they really don't care who is representing their country, as long as they do it with respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0