Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
You sound as though you are still bitter.

The problem is not finding a grass field at this time. The issue is that 95% of the games all season are played on turf. Therefore, why would any team change the surface they are accustomed to when the most important games roll around?

The solution is to find the grass fields during the season and only use turf as an alternate. Will this happen? Not in the vmsl. However, I can see the FVSL moving to this structure, as they are a forward thinking operation. They have dressing rooms for every game. They have very pretty and coordinated game balls. They have elaborate awards dinners that put the Royal Wedding to shame. Heck, they even have online registrations (that reminds me the flock of homing pigeons is coming by later today to pick up our 2011/2012 VMSL registration forms).

Now if we could get one, just one, any one of the FVSL teams past the first round of prov cup everything would be complete.

:cool:

Kidding aside though if we implemented some of those things you listed it would be great for the league. Then we could sign guys like Harmse, Cucca, Chin, Hleucka etc who have for years eluded the VMSL teams!

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes it was a 2-0 final, a header by Azad in the first half and another header by Jag Gill in the 2nd half. It was a less than convincing 1-0 lead at the half but we got better and better as the game wore on. At this stage of the competition the bottom line is getting the result and that was achieved, although I know we can play better...and we will need to.

I give a lot of credit to Hurricanes as they played well last night. They defended very well and they will always be dangerous going forward with those 3-4 very skilful and quick players. I was very pleased we earned a clean sheet. One of their issues was fitness, as several guys were cramping up as early as the first half and you always felt they were on the verge of running out of gas. It is too bad this team got relegated because I think they are better than some of the teams that stayed up and the "Indian Derbys" will be missed next season.

On to the semi's next weekend...here's hoping a BC Ferry is not in the cards.

cloughie

Aug 8, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
. It is too bad this team got relegated because I think they are better than some of the teams that stayed up and the "Indian Derbys" will be missed next season.

On to the semi's next weekend...here's hoping a BC Ferry is not in the cards.

1. Aw shucks too bad that awful Sapperton team stayed up and the poor Hurricanes wen't down, is that because you couldn't beat Sapperton!:cool:

2. You play the winner of Delta /Wolves in the Semis and the Finals in Aldergrove, how could you be facing a trip to the Island? It was agreed a while ago that two teams from the mainland won't go to the Island for a Semi....just being helpful, it's the least I can do....:cool:

fireball17

Jul 8, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes....too bad the Canes have to go down...they certainly didn't look like a team that deserves to be in Div 1. No one to blame but themselves...have to get the results. Their lack of depth last night was their undoing as INDO definitely got stronger as the game went on...their first sub was Maysem (sp) for Azad....not a bad sub as Maysem could probably start on any team in the Prem. Reedie certainly has the 'buy-in' factor on his side..as there were several very talented lads that didn't see the pitch last night. Hopefully Reedie's agent had bonus clauses worked into his contract with Mr. Johal as INDO marches to the final and onto the nationals. GOOD LUCK!

The Vike

Nov 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
UBC - 1 Gorge 0. UBC was down to 10 men 20 minutes in and we could not capitalize. UBC battled hard and scored on a counterattack.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
What happens if UBC wins? It seems to me that Nationals are held in October which is in the middle of the university season. I can't see the University League giving UBC the time off to go compete in another competition. So would the losing finalist go to Nationals? That would suck for the teams that UBC knocked out in the earlier rounds...

Rinzler

Apr 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it just me, or is it kind of strange that a university team is playing in this Men's Amateur Tournament, based from a league PCSL which most of their teams are made up of VMSL,FVSL,VISL, playing only in Summer, with Winter players just playing Summer soccer. The VMSL, FVSL and VISL have played the entire Winter season, and a University team comes along and just wipes out everyone. I thought there was already a University league also. Anyways, seems like whoever is arranging this competition needs to take a relook at the whole seedings and spots system.

Kaaa

Apr 18, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congrats UBC...good group of kids. Thought they played well down a man, although the sending off was fully justified.

I wouldn't worry about UBC winning the title.....this is not the strongest team I have played from UBC. Predicting Clan vs Peg final!
Good luck to everyone still in hunt.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. Aw shucks too bad that awful Sapperton team stayed up and the poor Hurricanes wen't down, is that because you couldn't beat Sapperton!:cool:

2. You play the winner of Delta /Wolves in the Semis and the Finals in Aldergrove, how could you be facing a trip to the Island? It was agreed a while ago that two teams from the mainland won't go to the Island for a Semi....just being helpful, it's the least I can do....:cool:

I did not mention any names when I said Hurricanes are better than some of the teams that stayed up, so I'm not sure where you are coming from. Actually, most likely you are coming from Arby's and on your way to Nuffy's.

Thanks for the schedule clarification. I was under the impression that if just one island team was in either semi final, then both semi's would be hosted by the island. Anyway, with Gorge now out surely there is no way in hell the semi's will be over there. So the question becomes....where will the games be played? Here is a bold prediction: if Metro Ford is in the semi finals the semis will be hosted by Towncentre. We will be patiently waiting for the call from the bcsa inquiring about Newton. After all, we are supposedly the home team.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is it just me, or is it kind of strange that a university team is playing in this Men's Amateur Tournament, based from a league PCSL which most of their teams are made up of VMSL,FVSL,VISL, playing only in Summer, with Winter players just playing Summer soccer. The VMSL, FVSL and VISL have played the entire Winter season, and a University team comes along and just wipes out everyone. I thought there was already a University league also. Anyways, seems like whoever is arranging this competition needs to take a relook at the whole seedings and spots system.

Yes, this is a complete and utter joke. The pcsl is now a 7 team very average summer league and the team that wins tends to decline their provincial berth because all the players play on another team in the winter. Therefore UBC wins almost by default every year and gets the easiest prov cup spot you could ever ask for. Yes, they are a very good team but it is far too easy for them to qualify and the bcsa needs to take a very close look at this moving forward. It is not fair to a lot of other teams. I would say at the very least if the winner of the league turns down the prov cup spot, then give another spot to the vmsl.

As for UBC being able to play in October should they win the provincials, typcially there are no games being played during Thanksgiving weekend at the University level, so they would be able to represent BC in Montreal very easily.

Rinzler

Apr 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, definitely UBC should not be in this competition, it's like putting TFC Reserve team or Whitecaps Reserve in the competition. If SFU decided for example to play PCSL and win, does that mean they are in the Provincials. Wakey,wakey BCSA.
I think players playing out of the University should be able to join their amateur team after their seasons are done, and that's it. Otherwise, what's the point of the Amateur competition in the first place.
Would be nice if a BC team wins the Nationals, but I think the other provinces will make an issue of it if a University team wins it, and something will be changed, otherwise you will start to have university teams out of Ontario and Alberta and so on, joining the pack.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, this is a complete and utter joke. The pcsl is now a 7 team very average summer league and the team that wins tends to decline their provincial berth because all the players play on another team in the winter. Therefore UBC wins almost by default every year and gets the easiest prov cup spot you could ever ask for.
Speaking of easiest provincial cup spot ever... 9 of 12 teams?? Good, yes, lets up the law of averages in the VMSL favor even more. Why bother including the island or ahem, FVSL at all?

no, Im not bitter.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good point. The FVSL should get one spot until they actually win the Provincials. Well spotted, KNVB.

Exactly my point. How many times has Richmond won it? Good cross them off the list. Inter? Thanks for coming. Delta? Nope, take them off the list too. Metro Ford in 99'? Is there a 10 year rule we should apply? Perhaps is we only took teams that weren't forced to merge we could cross off another 4 or 5 and make it a clean 6 team VMSL purified tourney.

... on turf :knvb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0