Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2011 Senior Boys High School Soccer

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
How do u stop a kid in the HPL from playing high school soccer with a university scholarship possibly on the line?

Didn't you just answer your own question? If my HPL training is getting me looked at for scholarships why would I risk getting injured playing high school soccer?

BROWN ALE

Jan 27, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't you just answer your own question? If my HPL training is getting me looked at for scholarships why would I risk getting injured playing high school soccer?

I can understand the injury aspect. But that is then the player making the decision not some community coach telling his players he is not allowed to play.

But to add something to that...why would I risk getting injured playing HPL if I already have a university scholarship lined up. Fact is most if not all local university and colleges go to the high school provincials so locally it provides players with exposure to the local schools.

I admit that I am not fully in the loop with all that is happening with the HPL, in terms of being scouted to universities, are there universities from outside BC coming to any HPL games, besides the maybe the big tournaments?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Canadian Universities/Colleges are scouting high school tournaments for players, I would suggest they have shitty programs.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would like to think it would be more the US scholarships... Aren't most canadian university soccer players just walk on's anyway?

BROWN ALE

Jan 27, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
If Canadian Universities/Colleges are scouting high school tournaments for players, I would suggest they have shitty programs.

Well I would suggest that soccer Canada runs a shitty program all together currently. But really its not about scouts or being scouted its the fact that community coaches feel they have the authority to tell players that are paying to play soccer when they can and cannot play. Until the kids are being paid to play I think it is up to them what they should do.

Jan 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well I would suggest that soccer Canada runs a shitty program all together currently. But really its not about scouts or being scouted its the fact that community coaches feel they have the authority to tell players that are paying to play soccer when they can and cannot play. Until the kids are being paid to play I think it is up to them what they should do.

That would be great if everyone accepted the premise that the kid is putting himself first instead of the team. Community coaches can't tell them they can't play, just that there are consequences, such as you might get hurt. Having said that explain to the kid who comes to every practice, knows what we have been working on as a team and then gets bumped playing time for the kid who skips practice to play school soccer, volleyball or basket weaving. It's a team sport and the team needs to work together. Look, school soccer is almost done for the boys, but for the girls it runs into cup play. Does that change your perspective?
Oh yeah I forgot the BCSPL mantra "it's about the practices (which they are skipping) not the games".

As far as scouts are concerned they are already approaching the U17/18's in the MSL. I know this first hand.
They will find you....

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Bruce Wilson was there. He coached the 2011 National Champions. Not really a shitty program......so was Patty Rohla the Trinity Western coach.....he would NEVER have known about our goalie as the kid is playing gold soccer in Tsawwassen.....made probably one of the best penalty stops I've EVER seen.....The kid could be a diamond in the rough.

Congratulations to Enver Creek who won the Provincials today with a penalty kick win over St. George's.

As for our games......

Burnaby South 1 South Delta 0- for some reason our boys just couldn't get the required energy against a decent Burnaby South team. They scored after our right back decided to try and beat a player....35 yards from goal and was stripped of the ball. This was about 15 minutes into the game. The rest of the half nothing much happened. The second half saw us press a bit more but not enough to test their goalie consistently. We put our best into the game the last 7 minutes and we had them pinned in their end looking for an equalizer but the two 1/2 chances we had went wide. Very disappointing.

South Delta 2 McMath 1 - This was a great effort by our boys as McMath were coming off an 8 -0 win against a poor team from Fort St. John. The conditions were TERRIBLE but it was definitely an entertaining game. We scored a cracking own goal off of their corner as it was headed neatly in our far corner. We had a couple of great chances to go level before the half but their keeper made two very good saves. We then managed to score two goals in about a 6 minute span in the second half and both were quality. We held on for a big win and giving us a chance on Friday

South Delta 8 North Peace 0 - Not much to say about this as the score says everything about the game. We needed McMath to beat Burnaby South by a 3 - 2 score for us to go through. A 2-1 McMath win would have meant a 3 team shootout. As luck would have it, they ended up drawing 2 - 2 which put Burnaby South through to the semi-finals and us in 2nd place in the group, playing for 5th - 8th.

South Delta 2 Salmon Arm 1 - Salmon Arm would a decent team who actually tied Enver Creek in pool play and beat Claremont from the Island. We scored both goals on corner kicks and their goal was scored on a penalty kick. This put us in the 5th place game against Argyle

South Delta 2 Argyle 1 - (3 - 1 on PKS) Our goalie made three stunning saves in the shootout and we are fifth place in the province by winning 4 games and losing 1. Overall a fantastic year for our boys as we finished with 21 wins, 7 losses, and 1 draw over the season and every loss was a 1 goal loss.....so we certainly competed well. We will have a very difficult time next year as we lose 12 grade 12s.

Order of finish

1)Enver Creek
2)St. George's
3)Earl Marriott
4)Burnaby South
5)South Delta
6)Argyle
7)Salmon Arm
8)????(can't remember)
9)McNair
10)McMath

I don't have the rest of the scores on me right now but I do know North Peace finished 16th. :)

Great work by the Devils!

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why wouldn't University Coaches be at these Championships?
I coach at the University of the Fraser Valley and I go every year to scout player's.
I know that Bruce Wilson Mike Mosher and Pat Rohla attend.
I also go to the AA Finals, where the smaller schools compete.
You never know what you might find, there is always a "gem" amongst the player's and you might miss them, if you are not there looking.
We also scout at the BCPL games and talk to the coaches.
The program's in Canada and especially on the West Coast are as good as most of the Universities in the USA.
It appears that" the grass is always greener" in the US and there are many horror stories from player's who have gone and come back.
The Whitecaps and other MLS team's make a big deal about the NCAA Draft with live coverage on tv.
How many of the player's come through? None, as far as I can see, yet there is no draft for the CIS player's, who in my opinion are certainly worth a look.
No scouts from the Whitecaps were at the Western or National finals in Victoria.
Canadian player's are being ignored, when in fact they are very good and the CIS is a good competitive league with player's in it who are more than capable of going up against their American counterparts if given the chance to be drafted into the MLS.

Feedback?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On top of that, Jigsaw, there wasn't a single Whitecap around Burnaby Lake over the six days of the two tournaments. They have been asked if they could come and help present some of the awards at the end of the tournaments...........no reply or response. It isn't helping their PR department much when they can't take a small amount of time to help with something like this. Sadly, there are many things at the top of the organization which just aren't right.........interpret that as you choose but things need to be changed if they want to start getting a little more positive reaction from the support.

Jul 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why wouldn't University Coaches be at these Championships?
I coach at the University of the Fraser Valley and I go every year to scout player's.
I know that Bruce Wilson Mike Mosher and Pat Rohla attend.
I also go to the AA Finals, where the smaller schools compete.You never know what you might find, there is always a "gem" amongst the player's and you might miss them, if you are not there looking...

Feedback?

Good to hear it. And thank you.

As a parent, coach, team manager and board member of a team in the Kootenays I sure as heck hope the smaller schools are looked at. We do no have enough players to be comptetitive against big clubs (our entire organization only has 220 players) but there are some terrific athletes and some skilled football players.

There are so many disadvantages to playing soccer in the Kootenays I would like to think individual players at least have a chance to get noticed.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Missed you this time at the Coaches Suite though, Ballbaby.......the girls provincials are in Surrey this year so there is no excuse. Even if our girls don't make it, the Executive will be staying out there very near Fraser Downs. :D

FatherFodder

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain - just want to drop a line to say thanks to everyone involved with organizing this High School Championships. For anyone that was there you would have seen a level of spirit and comraderie not found in HPL or Metro. For many of these boys, it is the end of of their playing time with their closest friends - many have grown up together since Elementary School. Yes - HPL, Metro, Super-Y are better technically but really there is nothing like High School sports and the joy that it brings to kids. My boy was selected but opted out of HPL as, for one, he didn't want the drama associated with placating HPL coaches. There were other reasons and none of which were money (though I was thrilled with not having to shell out the dough).

This final season of his high school career has certainly brought much joy back to the game of soccer and probably helped shape the rest of his life.

I raise my glass to those who are involved with high school sports, whether that be coaching or organizing - you all bring magic to kids lives!

Cheers!

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enver Creek is lucky North Delta was banned. They should have an asterisk beside their championship lol

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enver Creek is lucky North Delta was banned. They should have an asterisk beside their championship lol

Didn't North Delta lose to South Delta in league play? Enver Creek beat South Delta in the Valleys and won the Provincial Championships. They are deserving winners. Congratulations to Enver Creek and their coach, Greener who is a great guy.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a shame that these guys can't see past themselves and their pay cheques.........

Whatever. High School soccer has been a great thing for MANY top level players in the past and will continue to be for others in the future............

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0