Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2013 Whitecaps Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
If there is a positive to this game which for the most part I thought we played fairly well and exciting, is the starting 11. Finally a line up worth watching that brought glorious chances and excitement. What are the odds of keeping this line up for following weeks? Knowing Rennie, not high.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding O'brien... he is steady but I'm seeing more and more of HIS mark getting on the end of corners and free kicks.

Camara was his mark last night... his mark put the ball in the back of the net TWICE and on both occasions, O'brien lost him.

Just saying.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regarding O'brien... he is steady but I'm seeing more and more of HIS mark getting on the end of corners and free kicks.

Camara was his mark last night... his mark put the ball in the back of the net TWICE and on both occasions, O'brien lost him.

Just saying.

But Montreal played a "pick" on O'Brien so it's not his fault (according to Rennie and Knighton) :rolleyes:

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
How come 9 year old's know to put a guy on the back post on set pieces but a professional team can't figure it out? Rennie is the Jarju of Coaching.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the Caps having last weekend off and Montreal playing on the Saturday, coach should have had the players on the park that would have gone at Montreal hard for the last 15 mins.....

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's nothing to do with a coach. His oldest striker just can not miss chances like Coker gave him. See the way I see it we do not have world class striker. That's what would send us home and did. Second is keeper, a show off type guy. His lateral movement is not there he has to dive each time due to his positional play.
He is a good backup keeper but to be main keeper he has to be better. Second goal was stoppable by a better keeper. We would have a cup here.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe I heard Rennie post game saying that he'd rather mark up than have players on the posts. I wouldn't blame Knighton for it. This team, overall, is marginally better than TFC.

not Rennie's quote, but Knighton on it...

Whitecaps goalkeeper Brad Knighton suggested after the match that in situations where opposing teams have more players in the box, a player who normally marks a post will come out to mark one of those players.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/macmahon-on-whitecaps-rennie-could-be-in-trouble/

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's nothing to do with a coach. His oldest striker just can not miss chances like Coker gave him. See the way I see it we do not have world class striker. That's what would send us home and did. Second is keeper, a show off type guy. His lateral movement is not there he has to dive each time due to his positional play.
He is a good backup keeper but to be main keeper he has to be better. Second goal was stoppable by a better keeper. We would have a cup here.
You're absolutely right that we need a better keeper and a world class striker, however, it is a coaching problem when you're in a game you need to WIN and you sub off arguably your best player on the day (camilo) for a defensive nightmare in harvey. Then you take off Miller (which is fine) but put on a lazy one way player in Mattocks. Shocking decisions by a shocking manager. And if anyone can explain how Davidson starts or stays on week in and week out I would love to hear it, that guy is the Ed McMahon of soccer giveaways.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're absolutely right that we need a better keeper and a world class striker, however, it is a coaching problem when you're in a game you need to WIN and you sub off arguably your best player on the day (camilo) for a defensive nightmare in harvey. Then you take off Miller (which is fine) but put on a lazy one way player in Mattocks. Shocking decisions by a shocking manager. And if anyone can explain how Davidson starts or stays on week in and week out I would love to hear it, that guy is the Ed McMahon of soccer giveaways.

Brilliant, thought I agree with everything, I will point out Mattocks set up the second sitter for Harvey...but I digress. Camillo was going well, leave him in, and as Dutch pointed out, get Manneh in to run at the tired fullbacks. Rennie's strategies let Montreal back in it when they were as good as done. Well, Rennie and Knighton. Still for me, Knighton is just a mess in there. So is Cannon.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
And if anyone can explain how Davidson starts or stays on week in and week out I would love to hear it, that guy is the Ed McMahon of soccer giveaways.

I am asking myself the same question every time I look at Whitecaps roster! That guy is completely useless. Check the 2nd goal yesterday - corner kick and he is not even trying to watch the ball! He is wrestling a player instead of watching the ball, jumping (he is quite tall) and heading the ball out! If anyone asks me, that was his goal. Check also the first goal! He is not blocking the shot; he is turning away, afraid of the ball!

Anyway, Whitecaps have no clue what they are doing when the other team has a free kick or a corner kick. Their positioning is just pathetic.

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
One thing to bring up, not sure if any one here follows Carlo Corazzin on twitter but he mentioned Nesta last night " tell you a whole bunch when you have a 36 year old who has won everything and nothing to prove diving to block a shot" Nesta's passing ability and awareness on the field was a treat to watch.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Game notes from my perspective:
  • Camilo looked great and very motivated. Someone I talked to claimed that he had to come out due to a groin tweak on the shot he put into the side netting
  • losing Koffie didn't help either
  • Teibert has the potential to become very good if he's developed properly
  • sub choice (Harvey) was straight from Bizarro-World
  • not converting your chances can be fatal (yeah, I know it's obvious)
  • defensively, these guys couldn't stop a sneeze. O'Brien can't be a one-man defensive army; he needs help with both better coaching and with some fullbacks who are actually reading from the same playbook. The post-marking example cited by many of you is indicative of this lack of defensive attention

Montreal will be out after the first round of the Champion's League. The Whitecaps would have been too, as neither team is strong enough defensively.

Also: RL RCD, please remove the exclamation mark from your keyboard before you wear it out completely...

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let's face it, the Whitecaps are turning into a "Gong Show".
Rennie has lost the plot, that is, if he ever had a plot.
The team were outplayed and out-coached last night, as they are in most games.
This "New age coach" and his staff don't have a grip on what is happening here.
I don't see any shape to the team, nor can I figure out how they try to play out from the back.
Every team that I have been involved in over the years, have a basic way of playing and a planned way of getting into the opponents end to try to score.
I cannot see that in Rennie's team. They seem to play "off the cuff" and hope it works out.
The Strikers in most teams have to hold up the ball to allow the midfielders to support and get it from them.
The Whitecaps don't do this, they look for the long ball over the top, which is predictable and easy to defend.

What is going on when the Media are talking about Y.P Lee might have to travel to New York, due to so many injured players.
Shouldn't he be travelling anyway?
If he only plays home games, will he only be getting half of his good salary?
It's about time some serious questions are being asked about Rennie and how he is handling the team.
He even had a Supporter in the dressing room in Montreal lecturing the players on what the Voyagers Cup means to the supporters.
Is he kidding?
What must the players think?
I'm getting tired of all of the "Cliche's" coming out of Rennie's mouth and him passing blame onto the players.
Stand up and have some accountability man.
If it's not working, or the players (that you have brought in) are not doing their jobs,
sort it out, you are the Coach.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you.

I can't blame the tallent here. Asside from some clueless guys like Mattocks and Hurtado, I actually see and appreciate the higher level of tallent that the club has now, vs. years 1 & 2. But...they are used SO POORLY! It truly is a shite show.

I've come over to JBN's way of thinking- release him, get a true manager in place.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

He is calling for Hienneman to play more.

On YP Lee not playing eastern road games and his large salary you do realize he took a very big pay cut from around a million to either 100,000 or 150,000 to play here. Also last year both him and the club realized they burnt him out by over playing him and his play in the second half of the season suffered because of it. When he decided to stay on and play another year it was understood that he would not make the long road trip to keep him from burning out.

Harvey sub had me scratching my head. Camillo came off because he was injured.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know why they signed him then. Could you see SAF signing a player who was that age and only wanted to play so many games?
It would make more sense to sign a younger player to develop.
Here's a thought, bring up a player from the Residency program, or the Reserves to play.
They keep going on about how good their program is, but there are no players coming out of it.
You can't tell me that they haven't got a player there somewhere that is not better than Harvey.
I would rather see a Canadian go on and play poorly, than an American any day.
Rennie has no clue about how to manage a game and tinkers with the line-up when they get a lead.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
There is no working together with the younger players coming up, he keeps using the same poor players with the same results.
Time for a change???????

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's a thought, bring up a player from the Residency program, or the Reserves to play.
They keep going on about how good their program is, but there are no players coming out of it.
You can't tell me that they haven't got a player there somewhere that is not better than Harvey.

100% agree!

I do think however that this issue goes above the coaching staff. Ultimately the ownership group has empowered people to run things that I'm thinking don't know what they are doing at this level.

Of course, these same people were running things at the old USL level and even then I felt they were a bit in over their heads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0