Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 Vancouver Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At the end, some volunteer local coaches (and a few of them regularly contribute to this forum) had more success at national level competitions than all those pros who work for Whitecaps and/or BC together. Those guys actually created all those talented players who just disappeared when moved under BCSA or Whitecaps umbrella. Soccer in BC and Canada will not grow by making it more and more expensive. It did not happen anywhere in the World that way and it will certainly not happen in Canada.

This I like and agree with. Honestly.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's my only beef of Ousted these days...too much snap show going on. Otherwise, This season, he's been very solid, far better than what we've had. As good a Dolan? Can't say that. Not even sure I can say better than Onstad, but Dollie had the unfortunate luck of being a world class keeper born on Canadian soil. I'd actually like to know more of the story there and why he couldn't find a home playing in Europe...

OTP, when you have been there and done that as Jigsaw has as a coach, it's hard not to be negative, and to a huge extent he is right. Why aren't the Cap's drafting good, Canadian players? Why aren't they scouring the Canadian University system for players to bring into the mix? Surely there are some more composed players that do have some footballing intelligence than Hurtado and Mattocks out there. Watching last night, as Morales served up finishing chance after finishing chance, and Mattocks muffed nearly every one, was maddening. Then seeing him call his own number when you have guys like Obrien, Leveron, Laba, and Koffie on the pitch? He's a greedy bugger that just wants to pad his stats. Any one of the aforementioned pros would have had the composure to finish the PK.

And I'm not just pumping Jigsaw's tires...I think that there are times he's overly negative and fails to see the positives coming from the squad because he's so blinded for hatred towards the organization. :D I'm just throwing darts, now, but I think I may be onto something...

RL...again, unhealthy obsession, but I have to agree that was baffling, to not even be in the 1st 11, then get the armband? WTF?

I like Robo's personality and aggressiveness so far as a system of play, but a lot of his decisions on starting 11, etc., are baffling. I can't stand seeing Hurtado get chance after chance while Salgado sits.

I'm not "Blinded by Hatred towards the organization" I still love & support the Vancouver Whitecaps. I worked for them for 30 years and you can't just turn around & hate them after investing so much time & effort.
I am disappointed in the direction that they are going. The lack of Canadian content is sad to see, after so much work with the National Team & seeing good Canadians develop and play both in Europe and MLS.
Canadians are as good as anyone else. I have taken youth teams to the UK and not lost a game, so they are as good as anyone else up until the age of 16.
Then the development comes in.
UK players move on to Pro & Semi Pro clubs and play in decent leagues to develop and some are "Late Bloomers" that get picked up later in their careers.
We don't offer that, as we have no Pro, or Semi Pro Leagues to develop in.
Since the CSL folded, there is nowhere for Canadians to play & be seen.
The Whitecaps Organization run an Academy where we have yet to see any players coming through to the first team.
Yes, I know Tiebert is perceived to come out of the Academy, but he is from Ontario.
The point that I keep trying to make is: If they are doing such a good job in the Academy, as they say they are. Where are the results.
I used to count my results by how many we developed into the First Team, or onto the National Team.
There has to be about 25 players every year that depart their experience with the Academy.
Where do they go?
They're not going into the National Team Program. They're not playing for the Whitecaps.
I wonder what they would have to say after investing so much time & money into the program and have nothing to show for it when they are 18.
I would love to be earning the money that they are getting at the Whitecaps for Coaching.
I guess I was born too soon, as I never got anything near what they are paying now, yet we developed more players.
I just can't help thinking that something is wrong here.
Either we don't have the best coaches developing players, or the process of the program is wrong.
Maybe a combination of both.
Then you have to add BC Soccer into the problem and we all know that that is a farce.
Don' get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't think I am negative.
But I do care about the state of the game here in Canada.
It's not a good place to be if your Canadian.
I am optimistic, there might be light at the end of the tunnel.(more to come later)
I hope it's not a train coming the other way FFS.

dutch08

Sep 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't we have a few in the pipe that have been included in National programs? Adekube, Farmer, Bustos etc. (Although he's playing for Chile now I think)

Hopefully the Whitecaps are with you in finding a place for these kids to play with the USL team in New West.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't we have a few in the pipe that have been included in National programs? Adekube, Farmer, Bustos etc. (Although he's playing for Chile now I think)

Hopefully the Whitecaps are with you in finding a place for these kids to play with the USL team in New West.
Half of the National Team were from BC in past days.
So, 1 or 2 players on the brink of playing for Canada seems to be a bit weak for me, when the amount of money being spent these days is way more than in the past.
I have no problem with bringing in players from other Countries to play for the Whitecaps, but they should be better than any Canadians that we have. There are some good players in the team now, but there are some that I have to shake my head at and wonder, "Who is picking these players"?
When I was involved as NTC Coach at SFU, players trained there all week and we had new players turning up every night. The best stayed and the weaker ones were sent back to their clubs, after being looked at & given a chance to catch the eye. We never took the players and kept them, they still played for their clubs and took advantage of training at the NTC for FREE.
Now they have to leave their club and pay to go to an academy that doesn't produce players, like we did in the past for FREE>
No charge, just come out and train with World Cup Team Players & Olympic Team Players.

I have had successful youth teams in the past that won Canadian Club Championships. My Abby Team won it 2 years in a row(never been done before, or since) yet no player was ever scouted, or played on a BC Team, even tough we went an entire season undefeated. Something is drastically wrong with the scouting and Identification process, when this is happening and it is happening regularly.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two fantastic posts Jigsaw, thanks. Like I said, I was just throwing darts. And maybe trying to wind you up a little. :D But I did want to get your unfiltered opinion on it.

I agree on a lot if not all, especially this:

When I was involved as NTC Coach at SFU, players trained there all week and we had new players turning up every night. The best stayed and the weaker ones were sent back to their clubs, after being looked at & given a chance to catch the eye. We never took the players and kept them, they still played for their clubs and took advantage of training at the NTC for FREE.
Now they have to leave their club and pay to go to an academy that doesn't produce players, like we did in the past for FREE>
No charge, just come out and train with World Cup Team Players & Olympic Team Players.

Again, soccer has gone from being a sport anyone could play, and if you were good, you were promoted, and given every opportunity, with little politics to get in the mix. It seemed so simple when we were kids. Kids from poor financial backgrounds could play in any league, and if you were good, the club got you into the higher team. My mum was never in a position of hardship when it came to paying for my soccer. Now? Are you kidding? If you are good, but your parent(s) can't afford all the extra shite, well, too bad, you'll fall through the cracks.

How is this current model long term sustainable? It isn't. It's absolutely backwards, and a recipe for failure.

-Steps off soapbox-

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not so sure the string of victories over the powerhouse Victoria Vistas and Edmonton Brickmen means that the 86ers were all better than the current Whitecaps by leaps and bounds...

In any event, I'm not going to get into the fine details of the BCSPL on this forum, but the black and white statements suggesting that we only cater to the offspring of Maserati driving hedge-fund managers are, with respect, inaccurate...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
MTKB...not what I implied. What I did imply is that soccer has become expensive for financially underprivileged families to participate in. Your statement is absurd and inaccurate, mine is actually realistic, and although I have no hard "facts" (as you lawyers like to hang people on) or data to back it up, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the numbers and come to the same conclusion I have.

Unless you are blinded by the rose colored glasses, that is.

If I'm wrong, explain to me how I'm wrong.

I find it funny how those involved w/ the BCPL- and I think you are- get their backs up every time the debate about the financial model comes into play, yet there is no argument of substance behind them defending it. Or, you defending it. I'd like for you to show me how I'm wrong, and how many, many, many educated, and experienced soccer people around "here" are wrong. The competitive concept of the BCPL is great, too bad "the powers" went and effed it up with an unsustainable financial model that shackles the program itself.

And, to be sure, this is no longer a BCPL only debate, it's a soccer wide debate, because the costs for anything other than house are becoming absurd.

Also, proof is in the pudding regarding the MNT. In the days of the CSL, Canada was close to qualifying every time. Always in the last round, and always behind the US and Mexico, but not far off them in terms of competitiveness. Now? We aren't even close.
(Psssssssst...maybe a moderator can move these non WCFC posts to a moresuitable thread...)

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canadian rugby team also used to be competitive when the sport was amateur throughout the world. As soon as pro leagues popped up, and Canada did not put together a pro league, Canada became irrelevant and minnows like Argentina and Italy became very strong. Need the domestic league to develop the local players.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
maybe we get sensitive because we're alive to the money issues are are doing our best to alleviate them...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fair enough Mtkb, but it was dumb to go live with a busted system to start with.

Back to the Caps...I missed the match last night but saw the result. Man, that has to be considered a loss, 2 massive points dropped. They have to learn how to get up for the bottom dwelling teams...2 points from this opponent when really, after the 1st red in the first match they should have brought home 9.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teibert chased a 40 foot square ball all the way to its recipient, took zero jockeying angle, and then chased said recipient as he strolled deep into WFC territory. Clueless. Oh, and Chivas' best chance late in the game? A completely blown marking assignment by guess who. You have to really work to make Jordan Harvey's box marking look good...

What the hell do they see in him? Does anybody here have a plausible theory? Between him and Hurtado... maybe I need to watch these games upside down or something...

dutch08

Sep 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was all over the park, and runs a ton. Didn't really look out of place as the Chivas were terrible. Caps played with no purpose, Fernandez looked to be the only one interested in attempting to score. Now we're without Laba and Koffie next week, so I'm guessing that leaves Reo C and Teibert behind Morales. Think we can safely say our shut out streak is going to end. It was a joke Teibert had the arm band. Give it to O'Brien or Laba. Loved it that Morales got it as soon as he got on the pitch.

I don't understand Robinson's tactics, this game was an easy MUST WIN. Yet we deployed a B team, and lost 2 points that would have really helped us as everyone around lost. The announcers talk about giving bench players a chance, yet Sam Adekugbe (spelling) who should be replacing Harvey regularly, doesn't see the bench or the pitch.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of Jordan Harvey, on MLSSoccer.com the recap said something about him shutting down Torres... Harvey shut him down? Pretty sure that would be a centerback's job, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0