Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2016 VMSL AGM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Regs out of curiosity would you use an out of the box solution with some customizations for the league, or build something from scratch?
It would depend on the end goal really... if it were a stand alone solution that is already out there, $5K is a rip-off if it doesn't integrate nicely with the website platform.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It would depend on the end goal really... if it were a stand alone solution that is already out there, $5K is a rip-off if it doesn't integrate nicely with the website platform.

Any idea what platform they're running on? The only thing that looks remotely like it does a database query is the schedule/standings pages. Everything else is just static content that could be ported anywhere. If the new system came with a new web design I don't think too many hearts would be broken, but at the end of the day the key things needed to be brought online are registration and payments.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Payment of fines by the players using debit PayPal ect
If we double fines it should be players
Responsibility to pay take the problem off the teams
No more Refrees going to the office on a weekly basis
Report online scan in slips and report
No collection of cards just report
Them instant no waiting two weeks easy
We have all been wasting our time and gas by having to go in to the office

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any idea what platform they're running on? The only thing that looks remotely like it does a database query is the schedule/standings pages. Everything else is just static content that could be ported anywhere. If the new system came with a new web design I don't think too many hearts would be broken, but at the end of the day the key things needed to be brought online are registration and payments.
Wordpress is the current platform for the website so the whole thing including schedule/standings is database driven.

Registration and payments don't need to necessarily be integrated into wordpress.

I do know that the league was planning to move away from Wordpress last year and use a local company solution that on the face of it, I'm not entirely a fan of. If you have seen/used the websites for MWSL and PCSL, you have seen the system.

I would imagine, the online registration system the VMSL is going to use is the same one offered by that company.

http://www.techsys.tv/?pageref=spappz

Cheers,

Regs.

lego3

Oct 20, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
My team of course would have done it cheaper if asked as I have an interest in the VMSL coming out of the stone age administratively :)

Hey @Regs have you thought about approaching VMSL and trying to help them out with a website?? They could use your expertise!!! Of course it would be done for a cost but at least the money would go to someone who supports local soccer scene.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wordpress is the current platform for the website so the whole thing including schedule/standings is database driven.

Registration and payments don't need to necessarily be integrated into wordpress.

I do know that the league was planning to move away from Wordpress last year and use a local company solution that on the face of it, I'm not entirely a fan of. If you have seen/used the websites for MWSL and PCSL, you have seen the system.

I would imagine, the online registration system the VMSL is going to use is the same one offered by that company.

http://www.techsys.tv/?pageref=spappz

Cheers,

Regs.

Is there something technically deficient with SpAppz, or you just don't like the ugliness of their web design (and stupid product name)?

Price wise it's not too bad:
  • $500 setup fee (one time).
  • 1% of transactions fees
and then $250 setup for their CMS product and $25/mo. If that includes hosting and support it's not terrible.

Seems like it's in pretty wide usage locally... MWSL/PCSL as you mentioned + TSS/Sportstown, Van Athletic FC (@trece verde any comments?), and West Van Field Hockey to name a few.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there something technically deficient with SpAppz, or you just don't like the ugliness of their web design (and stupid product name)?
They are in need of some drastic web design help along with updating some web standards IMHO.

Having to select seasons, then divisions in dropdowns would drive me batty if I had to use it all the time.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of liberal use of css class names in the code meaning you can't do too much with making it look good/different than all the other implementations I see.

But that's just me.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey @Regs have you thought about approaching VMSL and trying to help them out with a website?? They could use your expertise!!! Of course it would be done for a cost but at least the money would go to someone who supports local soccer scene.
Thanks for the kind words!

I actually met with Ruben last summer before he had his health issues and we were going to do something in some capacity.

@LION reached out recently as well and we had a good discussion and I left it for him/them to reach out if/when they wanted my input.

To be honest though, 17+ years of poking a stick at someone else's work here on TTP is much more fun than if I actually have a hand in it :)

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
They are in need of some drastic web design help along with updating some web standards IMHO.

Having to select seasons, then divisions in dropdowns would drive me batty if I had to use it all the time.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of liberal use of css class names in the code meaning you can't do too much with making it look good/different than all the other implementations I see.

But that's just me.

Fair enough. I imagine since it's only 2 guys, there's a good chance that they are back-end focused and the front end is an afterthought.

tremy-1

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am asking myself, why all these genius and people that seems to know all the solutions to fix or improve the way to manage the VMSL don't step up and say "ok I/ we will work and expend many hours of my/our lives for free to improve the administrative operation of the league"
I have seeing, for at least the last 29 years, a few VMSL directors, most of the times the same ones, putting hours and sometimes money from their own pocket to bring a league with about $ 200.00 deficit to the position the VMSL is these days.
Then is any of you think that could do things better, step up and say “I can help" instead of complaining all the times.
I hope that I will see you all at the AGM putting your hands up at the time of nominations.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am asking myself, why all these genius and people that seems to know all the solutions to fix or improve the way to manage the VMSL don't step up and say "ok I/ we will work and expend many hours of my/our lives for free to improve the administrative operation of the league"
Erm...

Then is any of you think that could do things better, step up and say “I can help" instead of complaining all the times.
Ummm...

I hope that I will see you all at the AGM putting your hands up at the time of nominations.
I'm not invited :(

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Regs I suggest you get together with @Farquea and see if you can make an arrangement to represent the Greencaps. He could even pay you a little bit to do it as you'd be saving his club the $25 fine for not attending!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Regs I suggest you get together with @Farquea and see if you can make an arrangement to represent the Greencaps. He could even pay you a little bit to do it as you'd be saving his club the $25 fine for not attending!
I'm a lot of things but no way am I putting my name and reputation on the line representing a club that exploits Filipino nannies :mad:

:wa:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I see lots of talk but no invites yet, how ironic :)

time-is-ticking-bitch.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0