Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BC Provincial Cup Womens Draw 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually CS, we never played Gorge last provincials - they lost to Westside in the semis while we faced SFC UBC Alumni (who had beat MF/Coq in the quarters). As for knowing which route we'd rather go, I'm not sure if you're implying that we'd throw the game to avoid Coquitlam but on either side of the draw we play at home the whole way so it doesn't matter to us.

I think Westside has more to play for than Surrey since a loss for them means the #3 seed with no bye and two trips to the island (1st round and quarters) versus the bye and then a home match against NS or an island team.

My favourite part about the email that MWSL sent out is that supposedly they realized how the league standings are more important than the cup and that's why Coq would get #2 if we also win the cup. BUT if we are to lose on Sunday then for some reason the cup now means more than the league and Westside would get the #1 seed. :confused: I love how this league just makes the rules up as they go...

Exactly, Nutmegs.

At the end of the day, a Westside win would work better for both teams and leave Metro Ford on the road to Victoria..........It is disappointing to see things 'changed' at this point and to be honest, I'm surprised Westside isn't saying anything to the league. They were pretty quick to protest a game and I thought for sure they would be all over this.......but surprisingly they're not. :eek:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The reality is that this competition should be only 8 teams. 12 teams is absurd. There's 17 teams in the whole Province that qualify for this and all but 5 make it in. That's ridiculous.

And I don't care if it's four from each League. But at least the whole season would mean something.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The reality is that this competition should be only 8 teams. 12 teams is absurd. There's 17 teams in the whole Province that qualify for this and all but 5 make it in. That's ridiculous.

And I don't care if it's four from each League. But at least the whole season would mean something.

I totally agree FB and that's what I've been saying for years now - just make it 8 so that there is something to play for in regular season (right now only one team doesn't make it to provincials from MWSL), but if we have 7 right now versus the 5 from the Island. I think it would be best to have 5 from MWSL and 3 from LIWSA. Then throw all 8 names in a hat and do a random draw. This would rid us of all the crazy seeding decisions.

But that's just my $0.02.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I totally agree FB and that's what I've been saying for years now - just make it 8 so that there is something to play for in regular season (right now only one team doesn't make it to provincials from MWSL), but if we have 7 right now versus the 5 from the Island. I think it would be best to have 5 from MWSL and 3 from LIWSA. Then throw all 8 names in a hat and do a random draw. This would rid us of all the crazy seeding decisions.

But that's just my $0.02.

Makes sense.....:)

Or the possibility of opening it up to other teams......to make a 16 team tournament.....again, random draw.

nwork

Apr 8, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
... just make it 8 so that there is something to play for in regular season (right now only one team doesn't make it to provincials from MWSL), but if we have 7 right now versus the 5 from the Island. I think it would be best to have 5 from MWSL and 3 from LIWSA. Then throw all 8 names in a hat and do a random draw. This would rid us of all the crazy seeding decisions.

From an island perspective....I agree that Provincial Cup should be 8 teams. 5 MWSL and 3 LIWSA. It'll make for more competition during regular season to make it to Provincial Cup.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
From an island perspective....I agree that Provincial Cup should be 8 teams. 5 MWSL and 3 LIWSA. It'll make for more competition during regular season to make it to Provincial Cup.

Wow - nice to have an island perspective, nwork! Glad to see you posting and agreeing that we need more competition leading up to Prov Cup!

What's your take on the teams from the Island? Is Gorge the favourite again this year or will Castaways or Gordon Head be a threat? I heard that Dave Dew is coaching Castaways - didn't he used to coach Gorge?

nwork

Apr 8, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
The top three teams are all very competitive this year. Gorge, Gordon Head and Castaways. All finished within 3 pts of each other and each game was a battle. Dave is still coaching at Gorge.

I think Gorge has the best chance of making it through the next round (out of the island teams). Castaways are missing a couple of key players next weekend but are a good solid team with a good mix of youth and experience. Gordon Head is a very very young team. I'd say the oldest player is 18 or 19. Good team but lack the experience.

Do you know where/when the Surrey/Castaways game is? It's not posted yet.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The top three teams are all very competitive this year. Gorge, Gordon Head and Castaways. All finished within 3 pts of each other and each game was a battle. Dave is still coaching at Gorge.

I think Gorge has the best chance of making it through the next round (out of the island teams). Castaways are missing a couple of key players next weekend but are a good solid team with a good mix of youth and experience. Gordon Head is a very very young team. I'd say the oldest player is 18 or 19. Good team but lack the experience.

Do you know where/when the Surrey/Castaways game is? It's not posted yet.

It looks like a time/location just got posted but they still haven't updated the fact that it's Castaways. It says 2pm on Sunday April 19 at Cloverdale Athletic. I thought it might be at 12pm with the Surrey men's game after it but I guess not.

Your take on the Island teams seems very similar from what it's been in the past. Castaways are always a tough team and I remember the Gordon Head team being very young. On any other weekend, Gorge would probably have a tough game against NS Renegades but I think most of their team will be in Las Vegas next weekend.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Gorge will have a fairly straight forward task, as the Renegades are apparently only going to have 9 players if they have to play the game on the Sunday.........

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would like to wish Surrey United all the best in their run for seventh Heaven! All you haters out there can say all your trash on here but at the end of the day win or lose this is a truly remarkable run, that I hope continues!!!!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong year, Conductor......:D

But, I have predicted all along they will win 7......and I am very confident of this.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations, Surrey United. You truly are the class of this league and as predicted you dominated in the final. I"m not sure when anyone is going to be able to end this run......UCLA 70s/Boston Celtics in the 60s......Celtic's 9 in a row. :D

Well done to all the players, coaches, and organization. It is definitely one of the best, if not the best Club in the Province.

Stephen Burns

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Congratulations to the Surrey ladies ... again. For the love of God, I am getting tired of this. But until someone knocks them off, guess I'll just have to keep dealing.

I've known Martin Foden for a very long time. Kind of showed me the ropes of this club-running thing almost 20 years ago in the FVSL. He's as committed a person as I've ever met. Women's soccer has been much better for his involvement the last decade. I hope the men can pull up their end of the bargain, because Martin (and Tom Duncan and the rest of the SU lifers for that matter) deserve the "Double".

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Once again congrats to the ladies of Surrey United and also to the staff. Jeff C and Knaacks also do alot of work along with the Gaffer(MF) himself. As I'm sure the ladies and Knaacks are enjoying much deserved drinks tonight Marty and Jeff will have to wait until tomorrow night as they are in another big game for the Club tomorrow. Not sure if there has been a time when BC has been represented at Nationals by both Men and Women from the same club! I know it hasn't happened yet, but good luck to SU tomo in going for the double!!!

knaacks

Oct 7, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, just finished a "night at the Roxy" My first time no less. Well done ladies and my heart is with the mens team as they fell 1 short of a chance at the double. A special thanks to John Duncan for his patience and understanding this weekend. It's been a special year with this amazing group of women and staff and for that I thank you all. I am honored to be part of this club and the fantastic people involved with it. As I have been under a "media ban" for the better part of the last 3 weeks, I just want to say..... Man, this trophy gets heavy when you carry it as long as we have ! :p SUPEI-2..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0