Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSPL- Pros/Cons/Other Sports

M

Mal

BCSPL Pros/Cons/Other Sports

The BCSPL is good for the ones who can afford the huge fees and it may help the kids soccer development as well if they end up with a decent coach and hopefully all the BCSPL coach,s are decent .

Word is the players are not allowed to play for any other teams like school teams etc and also that they are not allowed to play any other sports . Is this true ? I know some kids excell at different sports like Basketball, Athletics, Baseball , Hockey etc and they should be allowed to participate in those sports.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is this really any different than any other high-level program? What are kids asked to do in Europe?

But where would they find the time anyways to participate on school teams?

Interesting this comes up now as I believe one of the star centrebacks for the SU U14 team just broke his leg playing basketball.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have two different debate topics here.

I'll ignore the matter of funding for now. I've stated and stand by the opinion that HPL players should not have to pay a dime, and that they should be held to a higher level of accountability: on the field, in training, in school, and in the community. Have them sign a contract and code of conduct to that extend.

So, onto the topic of participation in other sports, this is meant to be for the elite only...the best of the best. If the funds and investment are going to be placed into the development of these athletes, the club should have the right to demand they give it 100% focus. No other sports.

At the end of the day, the athlete has a choice as to what they want to do with their life. They don't have to participate in the BCSPL if they value their participation in other sports or athletic activities.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
True, same w/ the Sedins.

Maybe the rule should be flexy in a way, and scaled by age group.

Personally, never been a fan of specialization in sports. I like kids to be well rounded in sports.

I guess I'm just speaking as somebody who may be in charge of elite athlete development...I'd want control over everything, including cross-training.

Great topic though.

Jan 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also on the basis that the kids shouldn't play other sports, there is the catch that elite athletes (have to consider 13 and 14 year olds) have to choose one sport and that will drive kids away.
Especially with the 10 month season that runs into a number of other sports seasons.

Studies show kids should be playing multiple sports at the younger age groups and not competing in only one sport. Ask your physio about overuse injuries.

HPL will help elite players, but people/kids develop at different times and rates.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay......is this limited to other sports? Should a player be allowed to play school soccer? A kid gets to play in a different environment and play games. Last week we had two different HPL coaches give this line to their players. Could someone please tell me HOW this is developing these players by threatening them with this.

"Right now you're in our core group of 4 or 5 who I plan on playing for 90 minutes. If you miss training on Thursday, you will lose your spot and you will have to fight for your spot again."

Odd that the boy had planned on going to play in Victoria with our school team. I wonder what the coach would have done if the family had an emergency and the boy was unable to attend the practice(s) before the weekend's game. Would he punished this way? It's a farce that these coaches hold this over the kids heads. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees but this is becoming more about the coaches than the players. If the team loses it doesn't look good on the coach. One of the boys who didn't go to Victoria played a total of 20 minutes in the game. It's a good thing he missed a chance to go play games with his friends from school. I'm sure that would have made him a worse player and it's a good thing he stayed for that one practice to play 20 minutes on the weekend. Otherwise, he might have got no playing time. :rolleyes:

Threatening the kids to not miss practice with this form of 'bullying'.....and it is just that...is nothing less than pathetic. Kids and parents will have to make the choice on these things but I wish more parents would stand up to these coaches who use these scare tactics. It's all about development though......right?

Jan 12, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay......is this limited to other sports? Should a player be allowed to play school soccer? A kid gets to play in a different environment and play games. Last week we had two different HPL coaches give this line to their players. Could someone please tell me HOW this is developing these players by threatening them with this.

"Right now you're in our core group of 4 or 5 who I plan on playing for 90 minutes. If you miss training on Thursday, you will lose your spot and you will have to fight for your spot again."

Odd that the boy had planned on going to play in Victoria with our school team. I wonder what the coach would have done if the family had an emergency and the boy was unable to attend the practice(s) before the weekend's game. Would he punished this way? It's a farce that these coaches hold this over the kids heads. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees but this is becoming more about the coaches than the players. If the team loses it doesn't look good on the coach. One of the boys who didn't go to Victoria played a total of 20 minutes in the game. It's a good thing he missed a chance to go play games with his friends from school. I'm sure that would have made him a worse player and it's a good thing he stayed for that one practice to play 20 minutes on the weekend. Otherwise, he might have got no playing time. :rolleyes:

Threatening the kids to not miss practice with this form of 'bullying'.....and it is just that...is nothing less than pathetic. Kids and parents will have to make the choice on these things but I wish more parents would stand up to these coaches who use these scare tactics. It's all about development though......right?

We are talking about two different things. Where is the development to go play school soccer. One of the reasons the HPL was developed was to stop players overtraining. That is one issue.

Another is how is it fair to your team, which is working on possibly set pieces or specific elements in practice have a player miss due to their choice ( a family emergency is not a choice) and expect to walk right back into their "starting spot". It is isn't fair to the team (part of developing a player is team work) to have players in and out as they please. I say sure go play, but like everything else in life there are consequences. Playing sports as a child is about developing life skills too.
This should happen on every team, not just the "elite" It just shows the "elite" have special priviledges.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are talking about two different things. Where is the development to go play school soccer. One of the reasons the HPL was developed was to stop players overtraining. That is one issue.

Another is how is it fair to your team, which is working on possibly set pieces or specific elements in practice have a player miss due to their choice ( a family emergency is not a choice) and expect to walk right back into their "starting spot". It is isn't fair to the team (part of developing a player is team work) to have players in and out as they please. I say sure go play, but like everything else in life there are consequences. Playing sports as a child is about developing life skills too.
This should happen on every team, not just the "elite" It just shows the "elite" have special priviledges.

Exactly, which is why playing for a school team will give them more to deal with in terms the robotic like methods of certain situations. Like any other player on my school team, I expect the HPL players at practice. Not surprisingly, they're not the best players on our team but we all know that the best players aren't playing in the league. I'm not sure if you're ever played high school sports but I can tell you that was able to play at a decent level while playing school sports and of all my playing experiences, playing high school soccer, badminton, and basketball with my friends and guys I went to school with ranks up at the top. I was never forced into anything by my coaches and when it came to a conflict, I learned the life skill with help from my Dad to choose which one got priority. Can you see that?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
HPL coaches, just like high school coaches have the right to expect the players at practice. The players, and the team, have to be prepared for the kids who choose to miss practice to also lose game time. It's pretty darn simple life lesson. Don't go to work because you want to go surfing...well, don't expect a promotion.

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
While I'm paying the bills and BCSPL is providing only 5-6 hrs/week of activity for my son with no other concrete direction, the coach and TD may offer their opinion, but in the end we make the call. I recommend basketball to anyone that can fit it in to their schedule. Excellent cross training. And yeah I agree about the badminton, I was stunned as to how hard and how much fun competitive badminton is.... come to think of it squash would be a great cross training sport. Crazy fitness required and great for change of direction.

I agree that if you miss practices due to your own choices, then you risk the loss of game time. Standard. For BCSPL players school teams will likely come second, but who would ever want to miss out on high school provincials in any sport?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you want a low-impact full body workout with excellent cardio, put your kids into water polo for cross-training. The BCSPL players appear to be having nearly all their training and games on turf surfaces, so I can't see court sports doing any favours for these kids' joints.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HPL coaches, just like high school coaches have the right to expect the players at practice. The players, and the team, have to be prepared for the kids who choose to miss practice to also lose game time. It's pretty darn simple life lesson. Don't go to work because you want to go surfing...well, don't expect a promotion.

Agreed.....just like players on school teams miss school practices for school assignments if it becomes an issue. Do you think the HPL guys would care if their player had too much homework or had missed school due to illness? In fact, I had a boy tell me he wasn't going to be at practice today because he had an HPL practice. Fair enough. I'm sure he is going to get better coaching because they coaches are getting paid lots of money. IT is a good life lesson. The bottom line is there is VERY little conflict between the HPL and school soccer(I can only use that because we don't play evening games ever unlike basketball games). It is the rare situation when the kid will miss practice due to a tournament. I agree.......

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
While I'm paying the bills and BCSPL is providing only 5-6 hrs/week of activity for my son with no other concrete direction, the coach and TD may offer their opinion, but in the end we make the call. I recommend basketball to anyone that can fit it in to their schedule. Excellent cross training. And yeah I agree about the badminton, I was stunned as to how hard and how much fun competitive badminton is.... come to think of it squash would be a great cross training sport. Crazy fitness required and great for change of direction.

I agree that if you miss practices due to your own choices, then you risk the loss of game time. Standard. For BCSPL players school teams will likely come second, but who would ever want to miss out on high school provincials in any sport?

Exactly.....in fact I have our soccer academy kids set for squash once every 3 weeks. Fantastic for agility and quickness.

To answer the question in bold.......No one would......but it's more important for the coaches to have their player at a training session which is something I'm sure they'll remember the rest of their lives.

"Hey Ballbaby, do you remember that training session on May 28, 2005. That was a fantastic memory. I did particularly well on the beep test that day."

FML

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not sure if you're ever played high school sports but I can tell you that was able to play at a decent level while playing school sports and of all my playing experiences, playing high school soccer, badminton, and basketball with my friends and guys I went to school with ranks up at the top.

Piss-take. Definitely. ;):wa:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Balls to you, SixFyv.......5'10" point guards were okay back in 1985/86. :D Play defense and pass the ball.......two things I didn't do much of on the soccer pitch during high school. :D

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here some periodization for yah.

Fusion FC has just offered an academy on Sunday evenings. Current Fusion players are invited! and they have to pay!

Sorry Johnny, no extra sports for you, you must rest. Unless of course you are with us. Its ok if we run your bollocks off for another session a week. Oh and by the way, there is an extra fee. Your incentive is you dont pay for the kit(which you already have!!!

If you go read the FAQ for this new league it clearly states no extra user pay training for HPL players.

Fusion post:

Fusion FC Academy 2011-12
Fall and Winter Academy

Fall Academy – 10 Sessions
(Sundays: Sept 25, Oct 2, 16, 23, 30, Nov 6, 13, 20, 27, Dec 4)
Winter Academy – 10 Sessions
(Sundays: Jan 8, 15, 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, 19, 26, Mar 4, 11)
All sessions at King George Turf Field in Richmond
U10-U12 Boys and Girls – 5:00-6:30pm
U13-U18 Boys and Girls – 6:30-8:00pm
12:1 Player/Coach Ratio
Academy Expanding to U10-U18!
All sessions are run under the direction of Fusion FC Technical Director Jason Jordan
Fusion FC coaches will run sessions.
Focus is on individual development and specialized training
Dedicated Goalkeeper training with Mike Franks and other Fusion FC GK coaches.
Participants will have a chance at participating with the 2012 Fusion FC Spring Travel Teams
Prices:
Fall Session - $225
Winter Session - $225
There is also a one-time only $60 kit fee for non-Fusion FC registered players

Click here to register for the Fusion FC Fall/Winter Academy
or if you've already registered and just need to pay then
Click here to pay for your registration

Please note: Fusion FC Academy is geared towards elite players. Players may be subject to an evaluation period. Players who are not suited for the Academy will be given a full refund after the evaluation period.
For More Information Contact:
Chris Laxton – Academy Director (claxton@fusionfc.ca)

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here some periodization for yah.

Fusion FC has just offered an academy on Sunday evenings. Current Fusion players are invited! and they have to pay!

Sorry Johnny, no extra sports for you, you must rest. Unless of course you are with us. Its ok if we run your bollocks off for another session a week. Oh and by the way, there is an extra fee. Your incentive is you dont pay for the kit(which you already have!!!

If you go read the FAQ for this new league it clearly states no extra user pay training for HPL players.

Fusion post:

Fusion FC Academy 2011-12
Fall and Winter Academy

Fall Academy – 10 Sessions
(Sundays: Sept 25, Oct 2, 16, 23, 30, Nov 6, 13, 20, 27, Dec 4)
Winter Academy – 10 Sessions
(Sundays: Jan 8, 15, 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, 19, 26, Mar 4, 11)
All sessions at King George Turf Field in Richmond
U10-U12 Boys and Girls – 5:00-6:30pm
U13-U18 Boys and Girls – 6:30-8:00pm
12:1 Player/Coach Ratio
Academy Expanding to U10-U18!
All sessions are run under the direction of Fusion FC Technical Director Jason Jordan
Fusion FC coaches will run sessions.
Focus is on individual development and specialized training
Dedicated Goalkeeper training with Mike Franks and other Fusion FC GK coaches.
Participants will have a chance at participating with the 2012 Fusion FC Spring Travel Teams
Prices:
Fall Session - $225
Winter Session - $225
There is also a one-time only $60 kit fee for non-Fusion FC registered players

Click here to register for the Fusion FC Fall/Winter Academy
or if you've already registered and just need to pay then
Click here to pay for your registration

Please note: Fusion FC Academy is geared towards elite players. Players may be subject to an evaluation period. Players who are not suited for the Academy will be given a full refund after the evaluation period.
For More Information Contact:
Chris Laxton – Academy Director (claxton@fusionfc.ca)

Just so I'm not confused....this Sunday night PAID training is for BCSPL team members as well? Or just for everyone else from Metro down?

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just so I'm not confused....this Sunday night PAID training is for BCSPL team members as well? Or just for everyone else from Metro down?

Well, it says that current Fusion members dont have to pay for kit. Not sure who else current Fusion members are at this point.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0