Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCSPL- Pros/Cons/Other Sports

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good topic.

I'm hoping my kid can play his rugby again at high school this year.
He's good at it, he has fun with it, and enjoys competing along side his buddies.
He has asprirations of playing for the soccer team too next year as they don't have a junior team.

I find the rugby as mentioned with basketball is great cross training for his position.
He's a keeper and plays full back in rugby as well as doing the team's kicking.
So, he's punting and hitting conversions a lot which I think helps his goalkeeping in a big way.
That and he does more running in rugby and keeps his fitness up a touch too

I don't know if his club prohibits it or how his coach will feel about it but I hope he can do both and enjoy the two sports.
That said, priority would always be given to his football with respect to conflicts or making sure he's rested for a match.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fusion is a stand alone HPL franchise. The only Fusion members are the HPL players

hmmm..after more thought, this might just be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Don't all of the BCSPL clubs have 'seperate' academies running to support and train the rest of the players / teams? It kind of appears to me that Fusion is simply holding an academy as they normally would and telling BCSPL players that if they want to jump in as well they can, if they choose to do so, they'll pay like everyone else as it is 'extra' for them on top of their X number of days they're already training.

Wouldn't the alternative be that the BCSPL players would simply expect to be able to attend any training that the club puts on and expect that their BCSPL fee should cover it?
This of course wouldn't be reasonable and none expect this.

I do get the quasi connection / reference you make to 'other sports' Colin but really these guys are just competing with TSS......bastards! ; )

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
hmmm..after more thought, this might just be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Don't all of the BCSPL clubs have 'seperate' academies running to support and train the rest of the players / teams? It kind of appears to me that Fusion is simply holding an academy as they normally would and telling BCSPL players that if they want to jump in as well they can, if they choose to do so, they'll pay like everyone else as it is 'extra' for them on top of their X number of days they're already training.

Wouldn't the alternative be that the BCSPL players would simply expect to be able to attend any training that the club puts on and expect that their BCSPL fee should cover it?
This of course wouldn't be reasonable and none expect this.

I do get the quasi connection / reference you make to 'other sports' Colin but really these guys are just competing with TSS......bastards! ; )

As a matter of fact, we embrace competition- it makes us all better at what we do. I was just adding to the discussion about HPL players being asked to not participate in other team sport destinations in the earlier posts and bringing to light that Fusion doesnt seem to be following one of the league guidelines( no additional user pay destinations for players). We have our usual 700 + players in our program. The business of TSS is just fine.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
As a matter of fact, we embrace competition- it makes us all better at what we do. I was just adding to the discussion about HPL players being asked to not participate in other team sport destinations in the earlier posts and bringing to light that Fusion doesnt seem to be following one of the league guidelines( no additional user pay destinations for players). We have our usual 700 + players in our program. The business of TSS is just fine.

I hear ya, mostly just poking fun.

I'm not sure what our clubs policy is on the same...I suspect but could be wrong that our coach if not TD would steer our players away if we wanted to sign up for an extra academy within the club.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of "playing other sports" there is a way to also look at it from a life-lesson POV.

How many adults do you know that do favourite job 1 in winter and favourite job 2 in summer? Or more accurately, do favourite job 1 Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun and Favourite job 2 Tues-Thurs-Sat???

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here some periodization for yah.

Fusion FC has just offered an academy on Sunday evenings. Current Fusion players are invited! and they have to pay!

Sorry Johnny, no extra sports for you, you must rest. Unless of course you are with us. Its ok if we run your bollocks off for another session a week. Oh and by the way, there is an extra fee. Your incentive is you dont pay for the kit(which you already have!!!

If you go read the FAQ for this new league it clearly states no extra user pay training for HPL players..."

Funny, I was going to start another thread on this topic, but only because I ran across the South Fraser FC Academy advertisement at BC Soccer Web. I was pretty sure Colin would get a kick out of this. BCSPL clubs may have academies, but academies may not have clubs.

I guess this is related for the current thread in that a club cannot be stating "no extra training, unless you pay us. Then it's okay."

I could not find the "no extra user pay training for HPL players" statement in the FAQ. I saw that it was optional, but not that it would not occur.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funny, I was going to start another thread on this topic, but only because I ran across the South Fraser FC Academy advertisement at BC Soccer Web. I was pretty sure Colin would get a kick out of this. BCSPL clubs may have academies, but academies may not have clubs.

I guess this is related for the current thread in that a club cannot be stating "no extra training, unless you pay us. Then it's okay."

I could not find the "no extra user pay training for HPL players" statement in the FAQ. I saw that it was optional, but not that it would not occur.

Our TD was recently asked in a large group setting ( all boys and girls teams U13 - U14 at least, plus parents ) what the clubs policy was regarding playing school or other sports and I was satisfied with his answer.
He basically said that the club won't tell anyone they can't take part in other sporting activities as they have their value but that the player simply needs to be aware that with multiple activities come implications including; obviously time, rest and recovery, potential injuries etc.
In the case of injuries and rest and recovery, if the player get's hurt playing soccer for the school team and has to miss a month of BCSPL games and practices, then the player may need to determine for themselves whether it is / was worth it.

I am paraphrasing but that was the basic message and it was given very good naturedly and not as a scare tactic at all.

Seems just logical to me.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Here is the FAQ question from The premier league website:

Q: Will BCSPL clubs be allowed to form their own pay-per-use academies and subsequently make participating in those academies mandatory for BCSPL players?
A: BCSPL clubs may have pay for use academy programming for club and regional players not in BCSPL, but it isn’t expected to be a component of a player’s BCSPL commitments.

Read into this what you will I guess.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here some periodization for yah.

Fusion FC has just offered an academy on Sunday evenings. Current Fusion players are invited! and they have to pay!

Sorry Johnny, no extra sports for you, you must rest. Unless of course you are with us. Its ok if we run your bollocks off for another session a week. Oh and by the way, there is an extra fee. Your incentive is you dont pay for the kit(which you already have!!!

If you go read the FAQ for this new league it clearly states no extra user pay training for HPL players.

Fusion post:

Fusion FC Academy 2011-12
Fall and Winter Academy

Fall Academy – 10 Sessions
(Sundays: Sept 25, Oct 2, 16, 23, 30, Nov 6, 13, 20, 27, Dec 4)
Winter Academy – 10 Sessions
(Sundays: Jan 8, 15, 22, 29, Feb 5, 12, 19, 26, Mar 4, 11)
All sessions at King George Turf Field in Richmond
U10-U12 Boys and Girls – 5:00-6:30pm
U13-U18 Boys and Girls – 6:30-8:00pm
12:1 Player/Coach Ratio
Academy Expanding to U10-U18!
All sessions are run under the direction of Fusion FC Technical Director Jason Jordan
Fusion FC coaches will run sessions.
Focus is on individual development and specialized training
Dedicated Goalkeeper training with Mike Franks and other Fusion FC GK coaches.
Participants will have a chance at participating with the 2012 Fusion FC Spring Travel Teams
Prices:
Fall Session - $225
Winter Session - $225
There is also a one-time only $60 kit fee for non-Fusion FC registered players

Click here to register for the Fusion FC Fall/Winter Academy
or if you've already registered and just need to pay then
Click here to pay for your registration

Please note: Fusion FC Academy is geared towards elite players. Players may be subject to an evaluation period. Players who are not suited for the Academy will be given a full refund after the evaluation period.
For More Information Contact:
Chris Laxton – Academy Director (claxton@fusionfc.ca)

UFB............it really is.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Speaking of "playing other sports" there is a way to also look at it from a life-lesson POV.

How many adults do you know that do favourite job 1 in winter and favourite job 2 in summer? Or more accurately, do favourite job 1 Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun and Favourite job 2 Tues-Thurs-Sat???

No offense.......but you're now REALLY grasping at straws. What does this have to do with a TEENAGER wanting to play other sports? Sports that they pay to play......not get paid for. I"m afraid your 'argument' is WAY off unless of course I misunderstood you?

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Our TD was recently asked in a large group setting ( all boys and girls teams U13 - U14 at least, plus parents ) what the clubs policy was regarding playing school or other sports and I was satisfied with his answer.
He basically said that the club won't tell anyone they can't take part in other sporting activities as they have their value but that the player simply needs to be aware that with multiple activities come implications including; obviously time, rest and recovery, potential injuries etc.
In the case of injuries and rest and recovery, if the player get's hurt playing soccer for the school team and has to miss a month of BCSPL games and practices, then the player may need to determine for themselves whether it is / was worth it.

I am paraphrasing but that was the basic message and it was given very good naturedly and not as a scare tactic at all.

Seems just logical to me.

That's logical enough. The player could also get hurt in HPL training and miss a month of the season........is practice worth it? Not a scare tactic but if my Aunt had bollocks........you know the rest.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
No offense.......but you're now REALLY grasping at straws. What does this have to do with a TEENAGER wanting to play other sports? Sports that they pay to play......not get paid for. I"m afraid your 'argument' is WAY off unless of course I misunderstood you?

You obviously did misunderstand.

It's a "life lesson." Which unfortunately too many people are abject to provide their kids in an age of "my kid deserves everything" regardless of if the kid deserves it at all. An age when kids are saluted just for going to school and thus doing exactly what it is they are supposed to be doing.

To be honest, your argument sounds of a high school coach who fears losing his best players.

Spend $2500 for BCSPL. Spend $XXX for high school sports. Regardless of the HS fee, it's a markedly lesser fee. So kid signs-up for BCSPL. Pays their fees. Signs up for HS sports. Pays their fees. Gets injured playing HS sports, which we all acknowledge is of a far lesser standard in general (obviously there might be exceptions). Kid says to BCSPL team "I can't play for the next XX time period - or play injured." Now they've played a "lesser value" sport and injured themselves at it AND thrown away their parents' hard-earned money because they can't play in the sport that cost them a great monetary value. And yes, I've seen kids put themselves in exactly this position and the look on their face when you ask them "what were you doing last weekend?" and their answer was "playing with another team and not resting like you suggested we do." Then again, that's an equally valuable lesson but unfortunately it is one that the parents have to pay - who also deserve it if they let their kid stretch themselves physically and mentally.

The same goes for if the kid signs up for HS sports, signs up for BCSPL, and then inevitably suffers fatigue or heaven-forbid an injury at BCSPL and thus still aren't getting their money's worth.

Not to mention that kids need rest periods MORE than adults do. Especially teenagers. Oh, and you know, time to do their home work not to mention the energy to do their home work.

It's simply my opinion that this is an extremely valuable lesson in time, energy, prioritization, and financial management for kids.

All this being said - if my teen wants to play multiple sports then they'll get Honour grades or do their very best to achieve those, AND, get a part-time job to help pay for this sport they so "desperately" need/want/deserve to play - or a near full-time job in summer. They can earn it just like you or I have to do to earn that new whatever-toy-you-prefer. Otherwise, establish your priorities, follow-through, and give your very best to those priorities.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's logical enough. The player could also get hurt in HPL training and miss a month of the season........is practice worth it? Not a scare tactic but if my Aunt had bollocks........you know the rest.

While I realize you're mostly throwing out food for thought, I think I get the point your're trying to make, these players are playing at the highest level they can so having to make some choices that could impact this is reasonable to expect.

Its an expecation I do have my daughter consider for sure.

Having said that, we snow-ski, wakeboard and play baseball but if she wants to play 12 sports and have no regard for how these things could potentially affect her soccer playing "career" then perhaps she should play on a silver team.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You obviously did misunderstand.

It's a "life lesson." Which unfortunately too many people are abject to provide their kids in an age of "my kid deserves everything" regardless of if the kid deserves it at all. An age when kids are saluted just for going to school and thus doing exactly what it is they are supposed to be doing.

To be honest, your argument sounds of a high school coach who fears losing his best players.

Spend $2500 for BCSPL. Spend $XXX for high school sports. Regardless of the HS fee, it's a markedly lesser fee. So kid signs-up for BCSPL. Pays their fees. Signs up for HS sports. Pays their fees. Gets injured playing HS sports, which we all acknowledge is of a far lesser standard in general (obviously there might be exceptions). Kid says to BCSPL team "I can't play for the next XX time period - or play injured." Now they've played a "lesser value" sport and injured themselves at it AND thrown away their parents' hard-earned money because they can't play in the sport that cost them a great monetary value. And yes, I've seen kids put themselves in exactly this position and the look on their face when you ask them "what were you doing last weekend?" and their answer was "playing with another team and not resting like you suggested we do." Then again, that's an equally valuable lesson but unfortunately it is one that the parents have to pay - who also deserve it if they let their kid stretch themselves physically and mentally.

The same goes for if the kid signs up for HS sports, signs up for BCSPL, and then inevitably suffers fatigue or heaven-forbid an injury at BCSPL and thus still aren't getting their money's worth.

Not to mention that kids need rest periods MORE than adults do. Especially teenagers. Oh, and you know, time to do their home work not to mention the energy to do their home work.

It's simply my opinion that this is an extremely valuable lesson in time, energy, prioritization, and financial management for kids.

All this being said - if my teen wants to play multiple sports then they'll get Honour grades or do their very best to achieve those, AND, get a part-time job to help pay for this sport they so "desperately" need/want/deserve to play - or a near full-time job in summer. They can earn it just like you or I have to do to earn that new whatever-toy-you-prefer. Otherwise, establish your priorities, follow-through, and give your very best to those priorities.

I must admit.....I stopped reading after this bit. I can assure you that the school I coach at has rarely had players playing at the highest level particularly in the girls program. We had a freak couple of years about 3-4 years ago where we had players on our school team - Reynold Stewart, Steve Johnson, Mike Easingwood, Owen Sinclair, Branden McLean, Ryan Maron, Erik Olsen......to name a few who were all playing at the highest level. These kids played school soccer for three years from grade 10 - 12 and were playing at the Metro level.....These were two years that our school will likely never see again. I don't care if I'm coaching a silver, house, or HPL player. I coach them because I love coaching high school sports. I want the kids to do the same. I loved playing high school sports. As I've mentioned, 3 of the 4 HPL players on our team aren't even starters and won't be because there are better players/athletes on the team. I'm not afraid of losing any players. The only thing I"m afraid of is that these kids are going to miss out on a chance to play school soccer with their friends AND miss out on the opportunity of playing in a completely different environment than they would in the HPL......

If I lost all 4 HPL players, we do with the silver/gold/metro players there might be. It makes no difference who is put in front of me, I will coach them all the same.

M

Mal

Its early days and the good points :
Players selected for BCPSL are so excited that they have made the elite rosters.
For the parents its a prestige thing to tell other parents and friends that their son or daughter has been selected to the great BCPSL.
Problems will start when :
When the long distance franchise clubs have to make the long journies in bad snowy weather and some players only get a sm amount of playing time after 8 hr return journies and getting up early =12 hrs in total.
3 training sessions a week ,thats alot of time on school nights and ultimately school work will suffer .

nocents

May 5, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
...When the long distance franchise clubs have to make the long journies in bad snowy weather and some players only get a sm amount of playing time after 8 hr return journies and getting up early =12 hrs in total. 3 training sessions a week ,thats alot of time on school nights and ultimately school work will suffer .

Eyes wide open here, so I don't think these will amount to real issues for the vast majority of players. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the specific sub rule, but it's not so different than SYL. Many players have played SYL or something similar and the travel and potential for short playing time is nothing new and was pretty well known from the start. Training 3 sessions a week is a complete non-issue. This would be drop in training time for most players and I know that many are still working out how to fill the gaps.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its early days and the good points :
Players selected for BCPSL are so excited that they have made the elite rosters.
For the parents its a prestige thing to tell other parents and friends that their son or daughter has been selected to the great BCPSL.
Problems will start when :
When the long distance franchise clubs have to make the long journies in bad snowy weather and some players only get a sm amount of playing time after 8 hr return journies and getting up early =12 hrs in total.
3 training sessions a week ,thats alot of time on school nights and ultimately school work will suffer .

For the parents........ yikes!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0