Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Can Vancouver create that magic atmosphere

Can Vancouver create a great atmosphere in MLS?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seattle Sounders opened the MLS season last night with a 3-0 win at home.

It was their first MLS game ever.

Apparently, the crowd was "electric", helped by a march to the stadium before the match (something they will do before every home game and led by the official Sounders marching band) and almost every fan having a Sounders FC scarf.

Here's the highlights:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCZigiXFnbU]YouTube - New York Red Bulls at Seattle Sounders FC - 3/19/09[/ame]

What do you think?

Can Vancouver produce the same type of atmosphere? Do you think the marketing department for the "Caps" will be able to come up with something good or will it be all up to winger? :rolleyes:

Reds-16

Nov 26, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Impressive indeed. I do believe we can create as good an atmosphere or better. I think there are alot more people interested in football here than in Seattle. We have a ton of youth teams and lots of adult leagues. If they make it affordable people will support for sure. I've been a fan since I saw them play at the old stadium at the PNE in the 70's when Bobby was still a player.

They should have lots of incentives for youth teams, as these are the fans that really matter.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
After watching that I want to change my vote to No....Vancouverites are way to cool to march and buy scarfs...I hope Im wrong.

WaterBreak

Feb 18, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
anyone heard yet what the final attendence was?
the lower bowl was packed.
great looking atmosphere.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Vancouverites are way to cool to march and buy scarfs...I hope Im wrong
You wouldn't need to buy a scarf, it would be given to all season ticket holders (Toronto did this - they mailed season tickets stapled to a supporters scarf).

kjohnsob

Aug 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
The entire lower bowl was full - the upper bowl was draped with pictures of MLS players, so it didnt look like empty seats. One side was covered 2/3 by a diving Paul Dolan. :rolleyes: It was pretty clear 80% of them had never been to a match before. All season ticket holders were given a scarf, and it had a barcode on it which served as their ticket to the game. So they HAD to have it. Great Idea. All season ticket holders (capped at 22,000) also got tickets to the Chelsea game and the MLS Cup final. I think the Marching band was put in place to drown out the ECS (Emerald City Supporters) incase they started off colour chants. ..They certainly did a good job of it when we lead them in a chorus of "We all hate Portland". However the ECS seemed more concerned with their tifo than chanting. Everyone seemed to know Vancouver had just been given a franchise endless calls of we'll see you in 2 years. Drew carry made fun of Toronto a few times in addressing the crowd before the march to the stadium (a whole 2 blocks), which got them riled up pretty good.

Had a great time down there. Mid week happy hour is magic. $8.25 for a bottle of Bud Light, is not. :knvb:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One side was covered 2/3 by a diving Paul Dolan. It was pretty clear 80% of them had never been to a match before
Hmmm, do you mean Pat Onstad?

80% including you apparently :D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great photos from Seattle's first game:

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmgthatsme/sets/72157615600361147/show/]Sounders Inaugural Game, March 19, 2009[/ame]

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The way Seattle covered the upper deck seats is brilliant.

Please Vancouver, take note if you ever open parts of the upper deck at BC Place!

I'd hate to go into BC Place and see the upper deck seats covered in the cheesy manner the BC Lions currently employ :mad:

Team Canada

Mar 19, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is the artist rendering for what they have in mind for BC Place. Note what appears to be the beer garden on the far side, so all is well. I think it's gonna be pretty sweet...

WC_Vision_2011.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0