Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada Women @ Olympic Qualifying Tourney in Vancouver 2012

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
01-30-2012, 12:10 PMColin Elmes
Re: Canada Women @ Olympic Qualifying Tourney in Vancouver 2012

Her last camp with Canada some years ago. Downstairs in teams hotel overhheard speaking to a family member on a pay phone. "i am not fkcing playing for this team(or country) ever again". So something acute occurred at that moment that ended the relationship

I'm guessing she was talking with her Mom!!:D

“That was very difficult for me, just not having my mom. My mom was my backbone and she’s my everything and she pushes me. If it wasn’t for my mom to push me towards my dreams and what I wanted to do, I definitely wouldn’t be here. I definitely owe everything to her.”

Read more: Surrey

Masry

Dec 15, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I find interesting is that no one has said 1 single thing about Lauren Sessleman deciding to play for Canada. She was born in Green Bay. When she realized she wasn't going to make the US national team, she chose her second choice with her fathers roots to come up and play for Canada. So I guess its just a bias based on which side of the border the player decides to go with.

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Colin can u expand on that? Iknow that uknow more than weknow. Who pissed her off and why?

U dont grow up with the intention of screwing the one's that helped make you.

Sorry, thats it from me. Second hand info from someone on the coaching staff of the day

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I find interesting is that no one has said 1 single thing about Lauren Sessleman deciding to play for Canada. She was born in Green Bay. When she realized she wasn't going to make the US national team, she chose her second choice with her fathers roots to come up and play for Canada. So I guess its just a bias based on which side of the border the player decides to go with.

which is exactly why I've given up on the Southsiders/Voyageurs mentality of hypocrisy in uber-criticizing the men and women that opt out of playing for Canada and cap elsewhere.
I don't blame Hargreaves for his decision, same can be said for others like Jonothan DeGuzman, and now he is contemplating capping for Canada as he's essentially never going to get a game for Holland ever again.

The difference, to me, is where you are developing and if any "debt" is owed to who brought you up (I guess) but that's going to be my opinion on a case to case basis as a fan or supporter. I'm not going to be one of these guys that shout it from a rooftop like some of the V's/SS'ers. How awkward it must have been for some of the SS'ers to run into Leroux having a drink with Kaylyn Kyle at the Roxy last night :wa:

Donovan Bailey sprinting for Canada although he's Jamaican is one thing, he never competed for Jamaica..which is slightly different than Daniel Igali who was competing for Nigeria in Canada when he defected/sought refugee status in Canada... but still a purely sane reason to opt out.

Sesslemen needed to play for Canada to play internationally otherwise she wouldn't play at all on the World Stage. She wasn't good enough to play for the Yanks. Le Roux would be/could be a difference maker for Canada. Julien couldn't hit water if she fell out of a boat last night, I doubt Leroux would have failed as often or as bad as Julien. She's simply a better player than Julien.

Karina LeBlanc (CANWNT Keeper) is also US-Born.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For me they were beaten all over the pitch. Pace...passing...and their first touch was like a jack hammer at times. US looked miles better and have "impact players" all over the place where as Canada during this game did not. Not that it would have made a difference but why didn't they play the Maple Ridge keeper? She looks bigger and better than the other girl. Anyways Apples to Oranges for me.

Luch

Jul 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If this tourney was held in any other CONCACAF country, we would have expected the States to qualify 1st and Canada a distant second. Contrary to what the mighty SSers believe, all the singing about Solo's arse was never going lift Canada to victory. The sad thing is seeing how quickly the Mexicans have come to catching Canada.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leroux is overrated. When she was in grade 9 at Johnston Heights, our own phenom, Caitlin Davie(who was in grade 10 and scored a hat-trick on the day), stuffed her and her teammates 5 - 2. Leroux scored one goal on the day.....on a free-kick when it was 5 - 1. Ever heard of Jess Elliott? She was the girl who played gold soccer who marked her completely out of the game. :D Go Devils!

BTW, the overrated part was a bit of piss-take.....but we did shut her down in grade 9 in the Fraser Valley semi-finals. :D

As for Canada's team, it's really simple to me. They are too big, slow, and predictable. Everything you don't want in a footballer or a team. The US destroyed them in all aspects of the game.....including looks. God bless, Hope.

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
"Julien couldn't hit water if she fell out of a boat last night, I doubt Leroux would have failed as often or as bad as Julien. She's simply a better player than Julien."

Julien!? Every single game that I watched she was simply the worst player on the field. Is she really a national calibre player?

Although USA outplayed Canada the fact is that Julien missed two great opportunities. When we were 0:3 down, it really should have been 2:3; huge difference, we would still have a chance. Anyway, hopefully, lesson learned for London.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love when Hernden came on TV, looked right into the camera and apologized to anyone who tuned in after that performance. That spoke a lot to his expectations, realistic or otherwise.

But damn, the US can attack. With all due respect to Abig Wombat Alex Morgan is absolutley lethal. She had the Canadian defence in fits all game.

I have to say that when I walked into the stadium for that game, I turned to Mrs. Monkey and said, "I bet we lose 3 or 4 nothing." Anybody who thought any different when playing against the best team in the world is kidding themselves.

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leroux is overrated. When she was in grade 9 at Johnston Heights, our own phenom, Caitlin Davie(who was in grade 10 and scored a hat-trick on the day), stuffed her and her teammates 5 - 2. Leroux scored one goal on the day.....on a free-kick when it was 5 - 1. Ever heard of Jess Elliott? She was the girl who played gold soccer who marked her completely out of the game. :D Go Devils!

BTW, the overrated part was a bit of piss-take.....but we did shut her down in grade 9 in the Fraser Valley semi-finals. :D

As for Canada's team, it's really simple to me. They are too big, slow, and predictable. Everything you don't want in a footballer or a team. The US destroyed them in all aspects of the game.....including looks. God bless, Hope.

Captain, a player on our team shut Steve Nash down in high school Basketball, limiting him to 9 points...just ask him. He still thinks Nash is overrated, so I know where you are coming from. Nash is over rated and so is Leroux.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have very little experience watching any amount of womens football, what I did see prior to the USA v Canada game was that womens soccer is VERY different than the mens game in style and tactics, this was the many teams I saw Canada play and the games not involving the yanks.

The Yank women though played a style very similar to the mens style of game. It's not so much short passing till a gap develops then pump it long (Which is what this neophyte saw the Canadians and others doing) as much as it was searching and cutting diagonal passing, awesome speed up the wings challenging fullbacks to not fall down let alone make a defensive play.

...That and no weak links in any position on the field. :)

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to say that when I walked into the stadium for that game, I turned to Mrs. Monkey and said, "I bet we lose 3 or 4 nothing." Anybody who thought any different when playing against the best team in the world is kidding themselves.

I thought Japan was World Cup Champs and that was only about 7 months ago they won that tournament!! Don't get me wrong the US are a powerful team but tough to claim #1 when you don't have the trophy to show case it!!:confused:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0