Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Nationals 2008 NFLD

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Masters is a different kettle of fish from what I recall.

I'm surprised they didn't tell you to use your bus to be honest.

:D

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK, did some quick searching and I don't believe Gorge has pulled out.

Apparently New Brunswick has though. Leave it to a bunch of cowboys to confuse the 2 :rolleyes:

Anyways, in my opinion, the 2 BC reps should never have to pay for ANYTHING on these trips. NO player should have to kick in a single dime.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We toally agree there, Regs. But, we all know the system, and what we have to deal with...so you deal.

Appologies to any Gorge players / people out there. You are hense forth no longer weak sauce.

JAGS

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Masters is a different kettle of fish from what I recall.

I'm surprised they didn't tell you to use your bus to be honest.

Regs, are you trying to insinuate that WVFC 'Masters' travel in a short bus? In all honesty, some games it is clear that many of our players were dropped off in a short bus.

JAGS

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not so quick, boys, NB pulled out last month - that's why there's 2 Newfie teams in it!!
I was told by a CSA rep that BC had pulled out - but hopefully they reconsidered and have stayed in. I believe the extortionate hotel costs are one of the reasons!!
Costs are definitely a factor - we have only a month to raise about $45G - associations do pitch in, but not anywhere near enough as you know - its a massive scramble

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jags - that comment was directed at WB :D

Nobby - I've heard now there is a bit of a bruhaha happening concerning the hotel stuff. From what I gather, the hotel cost amounts to 15K more for Gorge than a different hotel just down the road.

You're still a cowboy :D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's to stop them from booking a different hotel?

As long as they don't mess it up w/ spilled hot wings and beer, like Sporting did.

;)

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They should just find some nice Newfie families to billet them. Worked for the U-14's :D

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's lot of heresay going on in here! From what I know and I'm going with the BC women, is that there wasn't enough rooms for all the provinces at one hotel. The host hotel is The Fairmont NFLD, us, Alberta and Sask are having to stay down the street at the Courtyard Marriot. The rooms cost $185.00 a night and we are there for 8 nights, 9 days. We talked about going to Holiday inn for $99 a night and were told by CSA that we would be kicked out of the tournament if we did not stay where we are told to. I agree with Regs and Dude as you both bring up good points. Dude as for the women, I can tell you none of them are business owners and quite a few are young and still live at home with their parents. Some of the big bread winners on the team are high school teachers. All BC soccer has paid for is 18 return air fares to NFLD and rumour has it that Charlie wants to take our team out for a dinner this friday! Dude on your points about having since May to raise $$ you are right. With Surrey going for the 5th straight year it does start to get tiresome going to the same friends and family trying to get people to part with their money. It may sound lame, but I'm just telling you from experience. My buddies get tired of me saying hey do you want to buy this pool, or meat draw or box of cookies to help support. Let's be honest I'm at the age were lot's of my friends are also trying to raise money for their kid's involved in sports so there is lot's of competition. Anyways that's my 2 cents!:cool:

redwoods

Oct 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's lot of heresay going on in here! From what I know and I'm going with the BC women, is that there wasn't enough rooms for all the provinces at one hotel. The host hotel is The Fairmont NFLD, us, Alberta and Sask are having to stay down the street at the Courtyard Marriot. The rooms cost $185.00 a night and we are there for 8 nights, 9 days. We talked about going to Holiday inn for $99 a night and were told by CSA that we would be kicked out of the tournament if we did not stay where we are told to. Anyways that's my 2 cents!:cool:

How and why would the CSA have the authority for this? Nothing like our own soccer assoc. being helpful.
Does anyone know this?

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
All BC soccer has paid for is 18 return air fares to NFLD :

wow, thats a lot of $$. I would suggest at least $18G (?)

All we get from ASA is $5G!! Are you sure that doesn't incl CSA subsidy and that they pay 100%? I was under the impression that they only pay 50%. Our csa + asa = 12G, flight costs (24) = 21G, big bill for the cowboys!!

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
People are also forgetting the fact that Nationals were held last year in Nova Scotia, which for us coming from BC is no small trip or cost. I thought that Nationals were suppose to rotate from West, East and Atlantic provinces? Two years in a row back in the Atlantic, heck I though Nova Scotia was for and now we go another half hour out of the time zone to NFLD. Honestly for teams coming from out west that's quite an expensive trip to do once, never mind back to back. Don't get me wrong from what I have heard NFLD will have lot's of community support and the event will probably be 100 times better than if it was out here, but there needs to be more monetary support either from BC soccer and or CSA. I heard next year the Nationals might be held in Nunavat!:eek:

patty

Apr 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
hey guys the victoria boys are going strong and preparing themselves well for nationals to represent our province correctly. Just to clearify an rumours we have fundraised and are not pulling out. The CSA is making us stay at the fairmont hotel which IS costing our team an extra 6 k but we have fundraised well enough for this. The New Brunswick team has pulled out due to this added cost and the Ontario team has been disqualified for playing illegal players. With this change we have been put into a group with Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland (winners), and Newfoundland (for new brunswick). Just wanted to clarify any questions you may have or doubts www.sport.ca/challengecup2008.

patty

Apr 25, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
on a second note we never considered pulling out of the tournamament either we are proud to be goign again to the nationals

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Patty coming to you live from the Rock already, lingo and all....:rolleyes:

You don't really speak like you write do you??

Sorry I couldn't resist!

:bronco:

barney

Jul 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Talking about costs. Rumour is that the hotel that the teams must stay at are offering a rack rate of $120.00 per night for rooms at the same time as the championship, but teams are being charged $180.
Gorge will be gone for nine days, so when one calculates cost, include minimum 5 days of lost wages.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Barney, I just looked it up and if I book on my own I can get the same room for like you said $120.00 a night.

Rumour is that the hotel that the teams must stay at are offering a rack rate of $120.00 per night for rooms at the same time as the championship, but teams are being charged $180.

By the way we are being charged $185 a night, so 5 bucks a night cheaper than us. Forty five dollars times 7 rooms equals $315.00 in saving. Imagine if we saved $65 bucks a night times 8 days and times 7 rooms? That's $3640.00 in savings. :eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not so quick, boys, NB pulled out last month - that's why there's 2 Newfie teams in it!!
I was told by a CSA rep that BC had pulled out - but hopefully they reconsidered and have stayed in. I believe the extortionate hotel costs are one of the reasons!!
Costs are definitely a factor - we have only a month to raise about $45G - associations do pitch in, but not anywhere near enough as you know - its a massive scramble

Larsson's salary should be able to deal with this........and more. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0