Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

College showcase for men?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What's the deal these days for current kids in high-school to get an opportunity at playing college/university?

Of special consideration are kids located in the "outer reaches" of BC.

Does anyone know if there is any type of scouting done at the BC AA Championships?

Cheers,

Regs.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs, there isn't really a 'system' in place......I'm guessing though they would be watching them more at the AAA Championships, not the AA. ;) Having said that, the tournaments are back to back....six days straight and I have seen the local college/university coaches there the last few years. As of now, they have no set-up like the girls do........perhaps a business venture for someone? :)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
The reason I ask is because Bigun is trying to help a kid out up in Smithers and doesn't know where to start... Of course this is Bigun we're talking about and his idea of good soccer is related to kicking the shite out of a net behind him.

:)

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs,

Have Bigun check the Surrey United website. Info coming out very soon that may prove useful to him.

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for the help. Kid gets little exposure up here. Regs will remember that 15 years ago I mentioned an unknown kid I saw play in Smithers. Ended up on the national team. after heading to Switzerland (Dasniel Imhoff). This kid is superb. Has the pace of a young Rob Reed with the vision of Regs and ball skills are superb. I might add tough and very coachable. I get him for basketball (where he also excels) but football is his passion.

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
... a "young" Reedie. Must be losing it though. Said Regs had vision. Hallucinations occasionally...

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
bigun

in today's world wouldn't a video highlight package of the kid be most appropriate? throw it up on youtube..Burn some dvd's , fire them off to some north american schools.. spark the interest ...see what happens..

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
  • Admin
I discussed that with Bigun and like I told him, that's a stupid idea.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
i'd like to know how this could hurt the situation of a kid located in buttfuknowhere

He needs exposure. no?

If we are talking soccer here.. you have to think of the budgets the of the university school programs...

Your not going to attract many scouts to a country that hovers between 100-60 in fifa rankings..

University sport Money is spent ...

1) football...
2) basketball
3) probably hockey
4) Golf
5) Track
6) womens softball (thanks stall)
10) Soccer (most schools dont have the funding when it gets down here)

Like i suggested ...

Send them the trailer and if it looks good they will come to the theater to see the whole movie....

u may have other ideas for the long term but until then this is a viable short term solution...

bigun is looking for a starting point. it cant hurt

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know of plenty of kids from here that put together video packages and received scholarship offers from down south. In fact, because of the sport (women's softball, soccer) it was the only way to get any exposure south of the border. Don't know about Canadian universities though....

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the kid is located in buttfcuknowhere, chances are he's playing against shitty opposition. A video highlite package isn't gonna help get over this and any university/college coach worth his salt knows this.

Kids "from here" are a different kettle of fish as the opportunity to play against quality opposition in competitions known to coaches is 50 times greater.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the kid is located in buttfcuknowhere, chances are he's playing against shitty opposition. A video highlite package isn't gonna help get over this and any university/college coach worth his salt knows this.

Kids "from here" are a different kettle of fish as the opportunity to play against quality opposition in competitions known to coaches is 50 times greater.

Thanks.. just wanted to hear why u were opposed as stated previously .... It makes more sense now. You bring up good points although it does happen in other sports like hockey and baseball, it is not fair to compare with soccer...

show

May 19, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for the help. Kid gets little exposure up here. Regs will remember that 15 years ago I mentioned an unknown kid I saw play in Smithers. Ended up on the national team. after heading to Switzerland (Dasniel Imhoff). This kid is superb. Has the pace of a young Rob Reed with the vision of Regs and ball skills are superb. I might add tough and very coachable. I get him for basketball (where he also excels) but football is his passion.

Bruce Wilson was all over Imhoff right away. Traveled all the way to Williams Lake to see him play at the AA provincials and he was at UVIC the next year. If there is any interest at all, the local university coaches will give them a look at the AAs...especially now that they are held in Burnaby. With that said, I guess it isn't a lock for some of these schools to even make AA provs.

Bigun

Aug 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They will make the AA's. Video problem is exactly as Regs pointed out. Quality of opposition is poor, distracting from how good this kid is. As I mentioned to Regs, saw Imhof at similar age and this kid is better at this stage. Will be a gem for somebody with their eyes open, but it is tougher for these northern kids as many of the decisions are already made based on availability of kids down south. He's gotta perform well in a small window as chances to get seen are limited and the talent surrounding him will not be as good as southern teams. Kids like Imhoff and this kid are more remarkable in that they aquire such a skill level despite a short season, lack of quality year round facilities and lack of quality opposition. Their upside, I believe is far greater than similar talent down south.

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I suggest contacting the Caps Res head coach and setting up a week long trial. If a trail date can be arranged contact Alan Koch (SFU) and Mike Mosher (UBC). This trial will sever multiple purposes. If the lad shows really well then the Caps will offer him an apprentice type contract, if the lad shows well enough SFU or UBC will make an offer. If the lad is not good enough the trail will serve as an eye opener and a good experience!

Down south is not great. Student Athletes have to be really really special to receive a "full ride" scholarship and still end up paying 10k yearly. Not only that, 90% of Canadians that go down south for university don’t graduate, they do 4 years and return home.

In Vancouver alone university players are guaranteed a quality education and are more likely to complete there studies. Students athletes in Canada might pay 6k over 4 years, not only that the football is quality. SFU and UBC are two of the best in the country, comparable to programs across the line!

Not a homer, a realist!!!

vancitysbest

Mar 28, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Down south is not great. Student Athletes have to be really really special to receive a "full ride" scholarship and still end up paying 10k yearly. Not only that, 90% of Canadians that go down south for university don’t graduate, they do 4 years and return home.

You must have unreal access to these graduation rates and financial stats! Usually if you graduate on time, don't you graduate in 4 years?

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0