Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier Countdown to Relegation

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by tps
Gilly, your comments are the best i've heard in a long while,
You will also notice that the abovementioned teams are non-ethnic, and this is not just a coincidence. Ethnic based teams, have always had problems in "getting together" and tryning to do it right instead of having 2,3,4 teams within an ethnic community, competing against each other....stupid?...ya damn right!

I think I'll just mention Croatia's National Championship, 3 Provincial Cup Championships, 3 Imperial Cup Championships, numerous PCSL titles, 3 season unbeaten streak in the mid 80's before BC Soccer screwed us speak for itself.:cool:

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
clarify........

They are not taught how play the beautiful possession game of high technical ability and complete (almost chauvinistic) confidence that is Croatian soccer.

Why chauvinistic? Do Croat men play against women? After further reflection it might be the closest some of them ever get to the fairer sex..........

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bingo

Pretty much any team, not just ethnic teams, trying to stay up in Premier without a feeder system is a difficult proposition. The only way to get better is to hopefully pick up players from other teams, or maybe a younger brother or cousin of someone already on the team, or from friendships created throughout the years.

I've played on Sporting for 7 years now. What made the difference for us in terms of getting better, was that my brother and I were able to bring over friends that we played at Langara College with. We were very successfaul at Langara, winning 2 National Championships, and it was easy to bring some guys over. In our final season in div1, 9 of our starting 11 were from Lanagara.

This season we were able to add Tony Fonseca and Alex Marques. These players wanted to play for their community. Our other 2 pick ups this season were the Dormer brothers from Surrey United. They were unhappy at Surrey and expessed interest in coming over, and the rest is history.

With most teams in our boat, you have a core of players. But when this core gets too old, then you're in trouble and you have to rebuild. That's when many teams get into relegation trouble. Teams like ours have to always be on their toes looking to add players whenever necessary.

One problem that ethnic teams may face more than others is the "Politics" issue. There are politics on every team, to me it seems that the players that can't make the starting 11 on an ethnic team use the "Politics" excuse because it's the easiest one to come up with. If you're good enough, you'll get a spot. Unfortunately there are exceptions.

Basically what I'm saying is that teams like Burnaby and Surrey have a huge advantage with their feeder system. They'll have young players coming up for years to come. The other teams have to pick up the "scraps" if you will, to hopefully stay competitive.

PS - Doesn't Inter have ICSF as their feeder system?

zeus

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gomesy,

Could your post have been any longer???? Thanks for the Sporting history lesson.....When is the video going to be on the Documentary channel?

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Zeus

It should be out around the same time the video you starred in, HOW TO GET MORE PLAYING TIME for LESSER SKILLED PLAYERS, comes to a XXX video store near you.:eek: :p

zeus

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
How about the one: "How to Kiss Tony Fonseca's Ass?" or "How to rely on two Surrey Players In Order to Have a Team"

If you can't take the piss out of your friends then, who can you take the piss out of?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You of course. You pink shirt wearing bastard.

Gomsey, lets not forget that just because Surrey et al have a youth and CAT system doesn't necessarily mean a club is going to be successful. There is a allot of coaches and development, time and money spent at the youth level that makes these kids good. Thus, making them happy and WANT to stay in the club. It's not all about population.

Isn't there some Dormer ass you're suppose to be kissing right now? I heard ego stroking is in their contract.

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Let the facts speak for themselves

I agree with you KNVB. There is a lot of work that goes into developing a youth system, I can't argue with that, but atleast teams like yours has somewhere to start from. Teams like ours don't. I'm just stating the facts.

Hey Zeus, you're just jealous that Fonseca wants to be on our team and not yours.:p He made you the player you are and you know it. By the way, the door is still open for next year, but it's closing ever so slightly.;)

KNVB same goes for you.;) You can get all the ego stroking you want on our team. It seems to work wonders! Just look at the standings.:knvb:

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Zeus, you're just jealous that Fonseca wants to be on our team and not yours. He made you the player you are and you know it..
If that's what he does for players... NO fcuking thanks. No amount of stroking would be worth playing like that. Not even winning the league, which BTW, we did last year. ;)

To be on topic.. The countdown for the toons relegation is on for next year. You heard it here first.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by The Apprentice
I've retired....

Gee, that's too bad. I understand AC Milan were counting on you for their big Imperial Cup run. All 90 minutes of it.

You should un-retire for the summer and join the next great Italian league dynasty in Veneto FC. With you, Gerry and Rich Bitter in the midfield, we'll have no problem finishing in 6th place like we do every year.

Ethnic teams usually struggle to find quality players of their particular heritage, but that really shouldn't be an issue anymore. The league has set things up so everybody has an equal crack at developing a feeder system throughout the ranks. If you want to stick completely within the ethnic community and play players based on heritage rather than talent, enjoy being relegated season after season. To put this on a larger scale, look at how the professional teams deal with this, especially in England - Arsenal is hardly an "English" team anymore. Kind of a poor analogy, sure, but you get the idea. Talent wins out every time.

-Sensei.

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm with you on this one Sensei and as I'm sure you know, Croatia A has always had a healthy mix of non-Croatian players. Even this season we had an Englishman (a real one who was born in England, not Lions Gate Hospital), 3 young Polish players with plenty of potential though still very young..2 are 17. A Slovak, Persian and in the past some of Croatia's well known players were not always named Sulentic, Lui, Stipancik, Darko, Dario, Davor or Babic but McQuade, Radbourne, Kennedy, Gurniak, Pashalidas, Della Pace(?)...

This season Croatia just never seemed to get it together from the beginning. There could be an argument that they just weren't prepared for the season properly. Missing key players like Davor from the begining of the season and "The Greek" switching teams didn't help as well. Nor did changing coaches... There were more games where Croatia's best players were watching from the sidelines sipping on a cold beer than playing.

As for other ethnic teams...The Italians will always be among the top, as will the Indo Canadian teams now. They have huge communities to support their teams and Croatia will not be out of Premier long....

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Feeder System

It should be mentioned that in the East Indian community, the feeder system has been developed. The teams I know that have one are Sikh Temple, Indo, Khalsa. GN of FVSL also has one, and there many other youth teams that have a club system, but no teams in the Mens leagues. These players will prob join other teams as they get older, or try to get a league spot.
A team I play for(AUFC) is an East Indian team and started a club system 3 years ago. The range is from 5-17. This system will soon be able to give the team new players, as we desperatly need them. (This way we dont have to bring Sikh Temple players in on the weekends(;))
Another advantage we have has a community is
a) many East Indians live in the same neighbourhood(please no Surrey Jokes) enabling them to create neighbourhood teams.
b) The size of the population, which is very large in the lower mainland.

These exact advantages are the same thing CDK is saying that Croatia needs to survive, and I completly agree with him.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0