Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Countdown to Stamkos

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think if they do get Matthews, they are a near lock to land Stamkos.

A lot of local interest in this draft lottery! Some Canadian team is going to strike gold.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
So are we guaranteed a top 3 pick now that we finished bottom 3?
Or can we fall farther down with our Canuck luck.
Amazing if we bump a couple teams to get young Austin.
That silly 3 game streak really killed our chances of getting first though. At least lowered the chances of getting first overall. Agh. Why win those games! ;)

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
If the Leafs don't get 1 I would like the nucks to get it cause I don't want Habs to get it!!

Canucks don't get 1 they need a defenceman bad....if I was them trade the Sedins and Miller suck for one more year and rebuild young.

Benning should be fired based on getting nothing for Verbata or Hamhus. Just embarrassing!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Matthews is a Centre...and so is Stamkos.
I'd humbly submit to you that the draft picks have zero implications for Stamkos and where he lands... But, If we followed that line of thinking one would presume that is Laine was drafted by the Laffs that would increase the incentive for Stamkos to go play with arguably the next Ovechkin/Bure type player the league will see.

In any event those top 3 players are all special. If the Nucks land in the top spots and are able to pick up Jesse Puljujärvi or Patrik Laine they will have another incredibly talented young winger which would instantly leapfrog any of Virtanen, Etem, Baertschi etc.

The Laffs need a lot more than Stamkos and another high draft pick. Goaltending remains suspect, and a lot of overpaid/underproducing fwd's such as Lupul (6.7 hit) JVR (5) Bozak (5) Kadri (4.5) Michalek & Laich (4 each) eating up cap space

on D Rielly and Gardiner are good younger guys, but there's more needed than just that.

With the US Dollar discrepancy it's increasingly a hard ask to get big bucks players to sign in Canada unless you're competing with a team in a Municipal/State high tax zone (such as NYR or Islanders)

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what is he saying? Toronto would have to pay 3-4 million dollars more than any other team to get Stamkos to play there or Toronto is so poor at signing contracts that they will pay 3-4 million more then they need to.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what is he saying? Toronto would have to pay 3-4 million dollars more than any other team to get Stamkos to play there or Toronto is so poor at signing contracts that they will pay 3-4 million more then they need to.

Neither....Playing in Toronto will land him more opportunities outside the rink then anywhere else and at his prime age getting the most money is the most important as every game could be his last.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sure, but a guy like Stamkos is going to have National endorsement poppy's regardless of where he plays. Hockey is still #1 in TO (Why?!...) and thus he'll grab more local endorsement deals, but he won't win a cup there. No matter where a guy like Stamkos ends up he will have a free car or two lease for doing TV and Radio spots for the local dealer, and so on. I don't think these sorts of things really play out like you think they do. Just watch Hockey Wives :p

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
stanley cup is the toughest trophy to win...doesnt matter were he goes.

So tough that you can play every 2nd night for two months straight and do that back to back after 82 game seasons. Must be tough and hard on the body.

I heard there was a trophy that takes close to 4 years to qualify for and has 24 teams that's played over one month. You lose and you are out at a certain phase. Putting 4 years to get a trophy seems harder.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So tough that you can play every 2nd night for two months straight and do that back to back after 82 game seasons. Must be tough and hard on the body.

I heard there was a trophy that takes close to 4 years to qualify for and has 24 teams that's played over one month. You lose and you are out at a certain phase. Putting 4 years to get a trophy seems harder.

Please tell me your not comparing the Stanley Cup to the World Cup. That comparison better suited for Olympic Gold vs World Cup ;)

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
No, just the comment hardest cup to win in sports. Love bringing that up with hockey dudes that think they are so tough.
Usually gets a good debate going.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I'm Stamkos, hate to say it boys, I'm going to Toronto.

Best coach in the league, IMO, and in many people's opinions.
Top draft pick on the way, maybe even Matthews, but at least one of the Finns. If it is Matthews, that fits in perfectly w/ a 5 year plan. Stamkos starts as your #1 Center, Matthews right into #2.
Year 2 of the 5 year plan starts next year. Over the next 4 years, Matthews challenges for the top line. Meanwhile, Leafs build around both. You'll have top free agents dying to get to TO.

In the end, SS gets what he wants...big money, a Cup, and eternal glory as a home-grown boy who brought the Cup home.

I hate it, but that's what I see. With his recent injury, the stars are lining up for this, as I believe the Lighting will not value his return nearly as high.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0