Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Daily Flyers Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought I would start a thread for all the devoted Flyers' fans on TTP and any other web site for that matter. This article discusses the new Captain and how much of a poof the old Captain was, being French-Canadian and all......

Commander of the Brigade

Primeau named new captain

It is just not the same in other sports. When teams in football, basketball, even baseball, designate captains, it is more for show, a kind of English royalty with no power. In hockey, however, it is no joke. The "C" is the mediator of the locker room, the messenger between coaching staff and players, and the glue that holds the team together. When center Keith Primeau replaced defenseman Eric Desjardins on Tuesday to become the 13th captain in Philadelphia Flyers history, it was as significant a move as a team could make.

"The coaching staff, (Assistant General Manager) Paul Holmgren, and myself met three or four times to make sure that Keith had a situation that he would be comfortable in with the other players and the assistant captains wouldn't be offended by it," Flyers President and General Manager Bob Clarke said. "When we talked to the assistants (Mark Recchi and John LeClair), they were in support of Keith being captain. It has made what could have been a tough deal...very easy for us."

Desjardins had held the title since March 27, 2000. He felt the responsibility of the role was diminishing his play. The 32-year-old defenseman has dealt with several obstacles in his time as captain, most recently during last season's first-round exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs.

"We felt that Eric Desjardins had done a real good job as captain through some pretty trying times," Clarke said. "We weren't aware of how it was affecting him and when he told us, we felt that it was courageous on his part to say that and to admit that he wanted to change."

Desjardins ranks second all-time among Flyers defensemen (behind Mark Howe) with 306 points (74G, 232A) in 509 games. He finished the 2000-01 season with 48 points (15G,33A), the third-best total of his career. Still, he had not shown the defensive brilliance that we have all come to know over the years. Through eight games this year, Desjardins has posted three assists and has yet to score a goal.

Recchi (1991-95, 1998-present) and LeClair (1994-present), who will remain assistant captains, are each in their eighth season as members of the Flyers organization. One might assume that the normal right of passage should be to hand the reigns of the captainship over to one of them. Not so, though. This squad features countless players who stand out as leaders and whose presences loom large both on and off the ice.

"We think that this is a group that has lots of players who are leaders and real good people on our hockey club," Clarke said. "[Flyers Head Coach Bill Barber] uses seven or eight of them as a group to rely heavily on, including Primeau, and our conclusion was that Primeau would be the best player to be captain of this group."

Primeau previously served as captain while a member of the Carolina Hurricanes during the 1998-99 and part of the 1999-2000 seasons. His acquisition from the Hurricanes, along with a fifth round choice in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft in January of 2000, for Rod Brind'Amour, Jean-Marc Pelletier, and a second round pick in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft is deal that has been paying nothing but benefits for the Flyers.

In Game Four of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2000 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Primeau's goal in the fifth overtime defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins in the longest game in Flyers history, giving them a commanding 3-2 lead that they would not relinquish. The 6'5", 220-pound center has plugged a hole in the middle of the lineup, helping make things happen for his linemates. Primeau tied a career-high with 73 points (34G,39A) last season, creating dynamic timing with Recchi and making the most out of the young Simon Gagne. His presence in the Flyers lineup was never more felt when he was injured at the close of the 2000-01 regular season with a strained knee. Primeau was unable to suit up for the first three games of their first round playoff matchup with Buffalo and the Flyers were clearly lost without their leader.

As they move their way through the regular season and into a run at the Stanley Cup, the Flyers need to stay on the same page and create the chemistry of champions. The role of Primeau as captain will be a major factor in making or breaking that possibility. He was sure that he had all his first mates on board when claiming the offered position.

"I accepted the position on one condition...as long as the other guys were all on the same page with it as well, primarily the older guys, guys that have been Flyers longer than I have, Johnny (LeClair), Rex (Recchi), Toc (Tocchet), other leaders on the hockey club, and they were in full support," Primeau said. "That made my decision a lot easier."

The Captain would like to thank his Public Relations genius

Brian Marks for this wonderful article.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi (°F) Lo (°F)

Thu
Oct 25 Windy 74°F 42°F
UV Index: 4 Low

Weather conditions in Philadelphia currently. This is important for tonight's match-up against the Ottawa Senators.

Prediction Phildelphia 3 Ottawa 1

Captain Primeau with 1 goal and 1 assist and a couple of penalties for good measure.....

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Happy with the new Captain?

I am not convinced he can do the job....too much pressure for him in Philly.
Also, looking at his personal file, this guys favourite hobby is collecting mickey mouse memorabilia!

Pretty intimidating:p

Prediction

Take Philly and the under.

Mr Coppertone

<font color="red">Most Irritating TTPer - November
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain

Primeau will not get the job done. He is a good player but does not have the qualities to be a leader. I like this site now I can bash the flyers here.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He may have the qualities...

Monsieur Coppertone,

Primeau, I believe was the Captain of Holidays' beloved Hurricanes. But, Hockey in Carolina does not carry the pressure of Hockey in Philly.

So, I am just questioning whether he can handle Pressure.

Zaurrini

Mr Coppertone

<font color="red">Most Irritating TTPer - November
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fil,

When he was with the Canes they were horrible they have just started doing well the last two season. Or should I say when Primeau left Carolina. I thought that Francis was the captain in Carolina. If they picked Primeau over Francis they certainly had problems in Carolina.

I personally think that he can't handle the presure.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Monsieur Coppertone

No.
Personally, I dont think he can handle the pressure of being a captain in Philly.
You,
dont think he has the qualities to be a leader.

Dont worry. I am a leader and you can follow me in my views anytime. I will lead you in the right direction.

Zaurrini

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Primeau

After doing a little research Monsieur Copperotne....
Primeau was named Captain of the Canes in 97-98, was named to the All-star team. The following year he led The Canes toi their first post season action.
He was then dealt to Philly after being a hold-out with the Canes.

Zaurrini

PS Go West young man

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Primeau a good but strange pick!

I think Primeau is as good a choice as any but the real question in the Philly changeroom is why did they pick a guy that I don't think even had an "A" on his sweater? What about Leclair and Recci, what are they thinking?

John

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually.....

John,

The article mentioned that Primeau did not accept it until he had discussed the matter with LeClair and Recchi. Obviously they were happy with the decision. Either way, it looks like shizer right now as does my prediction..... I am getting tired of all this Crow and Humble Pie for dessert....:(

0:01 left in 1st 1st 2nd 3rd Total
Ottawa 2 - - 2
Philadelphia 0 - - 0
Philadelphia Power Play
Penalty Box Time Left
OTT - Zdeno Chara (tripping 2 min) 0:02

CaptainwhohasafeelingCoppertoneandApprenticewillbehavingbigtimedigsatmelater.......

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sens 7 Flyers 2

Looks like the Flyers have some work to do. Bring back Bernie Parent!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like I said.....

Coppertone/Apprentice,

Like I said, the Flyers goaltending is a huge concern. :)

The Fcuker gave up 5 goals in 21 shots......

Maybe I should be getting odds for the Montreal game on Saturday........

Obviously Primeau is not captain material.....:rolleyes:

Captainwhoisveryfullwiththecrowandhumblepie

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk the Goaltending

Captain

Whats up with the big guns for the Flyers ie Leclair,Leclair and
Leclair.It's early in the season but he's killing me in my other pools.I thought and still think the Flyers have an high octane offense that will hopefully explode?

I don't like them(Flyers) too much but I try to go into pools with my head not my heart.I should of just stuck with my Canes;)

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
flyers stink

The philadelphia flyers have to be the most overpayed and overrated team in the nhl. All this talk about Primeau and the rest of the $$$ players and they forgot they had a game to play. Desjardins who said his play suffered from the captaincy was on the ice for 4 goals. Jeremy Roenick was a solid -5 and John Leclair is just contemplating on when to make his back injury appear. The goalies for philly. are brutal. Everyone makes fun of the HABS goalies but Theodore or Hackett would be like Mother Theresa in Philly. Captain, just to let you know you weren't the only one who was embarassed to be a philly supporter last night:

"It was an embarrassing night," said flyers coach Bill Barber." I wish I had some answers. I don't.
:(

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Huh?

I would find that photo very amusing if the person in question had the red, white, and blue of the Habitants. But I don't. :( Thanks, Kurgan. BTW, do you have a team you like, after the Canucks of course?

As for the Flyers being overpaid, who isn't in the NHL and other professional sports? I don't think they are overrated, since they will be contending with New Jersey and Montreal ;) for Eastern supremacy........

Captain

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oilers

Captain,

I grew up in Edmonton in the WHA/early NHL years and was there for the glory years. Alas, those days are long gone as all the high priced talent moved south. I'm still true to the Oilers because they are a team that comes to play every night - speed and youth that the Canucks only dream of.:) I've watched the Canucks for a few years here butthey haven't got it right yet. And the local support sucks.

Anyway, here's your red, white, and blue pic:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0