Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Daily Flyers Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Today's match...

It's astounding to me for us not to be playing with excitement," Barber said. "With the improvement of our hockey team, with being done since the end of April [after a first-round playoff loss], why our emotion level's not higher, I don't understand that.

"I'm very excited. I want to be here. . .I still come in with a passion to work, to pay the price. Less sleep, more work, I'm willing to do all that stuff. I just find it hard to believe that we can't be excited.

"I'd like to see more emotion from our team, more of a controlled emotion. . .be mad, be upset after a game, not be the same. I didn't see enough of it [after Thursday's loss]."

Winger Mark Recchi said it was not time "to throw out white flags here," meaning no one should overreact to a 3-3-3 start, but Barber sure seemed to be waving a red flag, at least. He announced that 37-year-old winger Rick Tocchet, sidelined since the preseason with a knee injury, would travel with the Flyers to Montreal for tonight's game.

Tocchet isn't close to being able to play. Yet he is going with the team to a road game, apparently at the request of Barber or management, in hopes his toughness and professionalism can somehow be imparted without Tocchet actually stepping on the ice.

The move seems to raise questions about the leadership of a team that unexpectedly changed captains this week when Eric Desjardins stepped down in favor of Keith Primeau.

" 'Toc' is going on the trip," Barber confirmed when a reporter saw Tocchet leave the practice facility with a garment bag over his shoulder. "He is part of the team and he's going on the trip."

Asked if Tocchet's presence would send any sort of message to the players, Barber said, "Maybe he'll send some messages about what he's seeing from the press box."

What Barber sees from behind the bench is a team that abandons its system to free-lance, that apparently thinks having a lot of high-priced talent allows it to take shortcuts against trapping defenses.

He was openly frustrated by the Flyers' lack of respect for the dangers presented by Ottawa, which is 9-2-3 against the Flyers in the last 14 meetings.

"How many times do we have to keep presenting, and things are not getting done?" Barber asked reporters. "How many times do we have to say, 'This team is dangerous. Be careful'? How many times do we have to say, 'Stay out of the middle with the puck'?

"It's time to step it up, and we expect to see results [tonight in Montreal]. I can live with all the mistakes in the world when there's honesty behind the play. That is a concern to me right now, the honesty of our hockey team. We have to improve."

But in the locker room, there was little talk about honesty or hard work, and much discussion of trying too hard. The players seemed to agree with his assertion that they tend to get "way out of bounds" in terms of running Barber's system.

"We're meeting a lot of resistance in the neutral zone, and we're trying to get through it individually too much," Primeau said. "You have to find a way to get to the red line and get the puck in. . .[And] we're getting too many guys caught down low [in the offensive end]."

From the Philadelphia Leader......

Captain who knows Philly will stuff Montreal and it's third string goalie.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry about the delay.....

Coppertone/Apprentice/other fans who support the sorry Habs,

I am sorry for not getting this in on Sunday. Hopefully, it will be enough for Sunday and today....

Flyers come out focused and rout the Canadiens

By Tim Panaccio
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

MONTREAL - The Flyers' mood was light and frivolous last night. They joked around, even stayed a bit longer than usual in the dressing room.

"We're going to win this one tonight," Rick Tocchet had said at the morning skate, after whispering in veterans' ears about work ethic and providing reassurance to younger players who needed it following Thursday's debacle against Ottawa.

"Watch us tonight," Jeremy Roenick warned before the game.

A different Flyers team showed up at the Molson Centre last night - a team that looked as if it had a system, that had puck support everywhere on the ice, that forechecked relentlessly against a pretty good Canadiens club.

You know things are different when Roenick retreats over his own blue line to make a defensive play.

"We saw a patient team, a very disciplined team, and a much more structurally sound team tonight," Roenick said after the 5-1 victory. "We played with some passion. We needed this. We have to do that again and again. We went over every single zone, front to back, to make sure everyone knew what they were doing."

Finally, the Flyers rewarded goalie Brian Boucher, who has played far better than his 1-2-1 record would indicate, with a victory. He had 27 saves and quality stops throughout the game. In the first five minutes of the final period, he had a three-save sequence, including a save on Joe Juneau's tricky backhander in the crease.

Twice Boucher had big saves and then saw the Flyers go up ice and score, something they have not done very often.

"Awesome," Boucher said. "That's how hockey is supposed to be played. Make a save, see the puck go in at the other end. It's an uplifting thing."

It was the first victory of the season for Boucher, who continues to look sharper in goal than starter Roman Cechmanek.

"Boosh was great," Barber said. "He made some really big saves."

His effort was backed by goals from five different Flyers - Kim Johnsson, who was terrific as a setup guy too; Jan Hlavac; Mark Recchi; Ruslan Fedotenko; and Marty Murray.

From the drop of the first puck, the Flyers were all over the Canadiens, pressing the attack with a hard forecheck and some brutal sideboard checks.

EEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
EEEEAZZZY THERE TIGER

Captain,

It is so glad to see that you did not forget about the game saturday. You posted the news report cause you must have not watched the game.:D Philly took advantage of very weak Montreal goaltending, and Boucher played well to get the win. Philly conforted their chances and the HABS loked tired. Whatever things must go on and if I am correct the Habs and flyers both have 11 points.

theapprenticewhoisnowfocusedonHABSvsCANUCKS

Mr Coppertone

<font color="red">Most Irritating TTPer - November
Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kurgan

If you need this clarified you are a Jackass. It is clear that he was speaking about the two new hab goalies. If you haven't been watching hockey you would know that both theodore and hackett are out due to injuries. So, when you quote something make sure it makes sense. You are trying to ttp but your not doing a good job. THeodore and Hackett would put the goaltending in philly to shame. As for the two new guys in Montreal Garon and Michaud they are both very young and will make mistakes, but what rookies don't:p

kurgan

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 8, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you haven't been watching hockey you would know that both theodore and hackett are out due to injuries.
I haven't been watching the Habs... so how would I know? Sigh. So, then Mr. I resort to namecalling at first opportunity 'cause I can't think of anything original, how do I quote something that doesn't make sense to start with?:rolleyes:

And I thought that Leaf fans were bad...

KurganwhosefavoriteplayerofalltimeisGuy.

Mr Coppertone

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kurgan

Why would you get into a conversation if you don't know all the facts. If you don't know what is going on then you shouldn't comment, and you don't have to follow the Habs to now about there problems with there injured goalies. It has been on TSN, Sportspage, Headline Sports, and Sportsnet among other channels. All you have to be is a hockey fan to know about all this.

Mr Coppertone

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB

I know the facts and you are never getting into my i-roc.

Knvbwillneversmokelerbinmyi-rocagain.:D

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Kurgan

Kurgan,

you take a shot at the apprentice when I am not around and you make yourself look like an idiot. Thanks.

stick to bugging Coppertone:D

Mr Coppertone

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apprentice

He should stick to bugging his own kind. The I-tals are way to smart for Kurgan....

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
What the hell is this?

Check the thread title lads. It is a shrine for one of the top teams in the league. No more Habs talk please. No more arguing please. Just get along and support the Flyers. Then everyone in the thread will have fun. My daily update is:

8:06 left in 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd Total
Philadelphia 2 1 0 3
Washington 0 0 0 0
Philadelphia Power Play
Penalty Box Time Left
WAS - Sergei Gonchar (interference 2 min) 0:25

Play-by-play
11:54 PHI - Johnsson shot on goal

11:44 PHI - McGillis shot on goal

11:35 PHI - Gagne credited with hit

11:17 - Stoppage: Puck in the crowd

11:17 PHI - Primeau won faceoff against Whitfield

Scoring Summary
First Period
Philadelphia - 3:39, Gagne 4 (Recchi, Primeau)

Philadelphia - 6:25, Brendl 1 (Recchi, Johnsson)

Second Period
Philadelphia - 4:49, Gagne 5 (Primeau)

Third Period
None

Another win and may I say we will be going on a nice little run....

Captain

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brothers in Arms

Captain,

Admittedly, I have been silent on this thread trying to not to have anything in common with your kind.

But I can't stand it. I must come out of the closet. I too am a Flyers fan. A proud one God damn it.

Maybe your not such a bad guy after all.

Yours in Catholicism,

Father Buckfast

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am flattered......

It is great to know that someone with your wit and wisdom supports the team of 2001/2002. I can see a nice little run developing right now and I can see our 'friendship' developing as I type......Would you be interested in purchasing tickets for the Flyers/Canucks battle and we can finally get stuck into the beverages that you had ready(and still do, I'm sure) for our Hastings Park outing that never happened? I think so....

Yours in Paisleyism,

Captain Trimble

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Billy Shamrock,

I'm would definately be in, just need to sort out something.....well, two things, out

1) I'm supposed to be going to the Vikings v. Packers game on the 30th in GB. That's not a lock, as I am going with a customer, so it would depend on his holiday plans.

2) But the real deal breaker is, what would my/your missus say about spending New Years @ The Garage?

Sean Seamus Buckfast

PS - I have free parking if it all works out.
PPS - TR, you're not invited.

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Leclair

Captain

Whats up with this guy,he's gotta start dominating like he did a couple of years ago.I took him 22nd overall in my pool this year thinking the Flyers would be unstoppable but up to now he has been somewhat of a disapointment goal and point wise:mad:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The New Year's game has been a tradition...

Bucky,

The game starts at 5:00 usually, so it shouldn't be much of an issue as far as New Year's goes. I better check the availability of tickets and request my Christmas present soon........:)

Jimmy,

It is simple. As much as Lindros was a big fcuking baby, he created lots of room for LeClair. That is why LeClair sucked in Montreal. They had no one else who could give the time/space for LeClair to become a good goal scorer. I think he will continue to muck away and as long as the Flyers' scoring stays balanced, he will not light it up. That is why I avoided him in the TTP pool. Apparently, it has really helped me, as I currently sit in 19th place. :(

Captain

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
3 in a row.....

Final 1st 2nd 3rd Total
Pittsburgh 0 0 0 0
Philadelphia 1 2 0 3

Scoring Summary
First Period
Philadelphia - 0:25, Leclair 7 (Roenick, Williams)

Second Period
Philadelphia - 5:05, Recchi 5 (Gagne, Johnsson)
Philadelphia - 19:59, Mcgillis 1 (power play) (Recchi, Roenick)

Third Period
None

Team Shots on Goal Power Plays
1ST 2ND 3RD TOTAL CONVERTED TOTAL
Pittsburgh 6 13 8 27 0 3
Philadelphia 8 12 8 28 1 5

2 shutouts in a row......

Roenick continues to light it up.....

Who is up next for the might Flyers?

Captain who will be betting big against Montreal next game...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Division leaders....

Philly's next game should be a good test as they travel to Long Island to face the Islanders, who currently lead the division and the NHL......

The mighty Flyers will win 3-2 ending the Islanders lucky run....

Captain

Mr Coppertone

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Chicago 2 Philly 1

As you can see the Flyers fall again and are only one game above 500. There great captain finnally got a goal in a loseing cause. I think he is not handleing the preasure very well, and will be the second flyer captain to give up the "C".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0