Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

DH/Freeride 2006

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
A new year and a new thread.

Who's been on an epic ride this year? I know Dude was out yesterday. Let's here about it bitch!

thedude and I hit the Woodlot on Thursday night for a little night ride action. Fcuk was it wet. The Woodlot usually drains really well but it is saturated right now. Soaked.

We hit Goldmine/Snakes/Shotgun. It's such a fun line at night. No real hard stunts. Just a few ladders, a few gaps and some rock faces.

I'm not big on riding at night. Especially in the wet, but Thursday wasn't bad.

Maybe Seymour on Saturday. Who's in?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Didn't we just start a new thread?

I have to say, 2005 was one of the most enjoyable years I've ever had riding. In terms of miles, not nearly as many as "back in the day", but the miles I did put in were pure fun. Take out the word "training", and voila, it becomes way more enjoyable.

Most of the miles were on the little bike, doing a lot more all-mountain riding. No armor, no full face, lots of hills, no need for getting a group together for shuttling. Hell, even hitting the woodlot was fun on the Slayer.

Don't get me wrong, the big bike was still the shite, but was made all that much better by combining better overall riding fitness with more experience in DH, and less pressure to hit the big drop, or to pin it all the time. Got to hit Maui last year, looking like I'll get to hit Switzerland for a couple of days this year. Can't wait!

So, new year, new big bike, hopefully more riding. Was contemplating trying the Test of Metal, but only if I can still get entry, and only if I can find a way to log in some longer rides to help prepare. Will be part of Wilby's 24-hours of adrenaline team this year at Whistler, which should be a blast. Mini Dude will be on a 20" wheel bike this summer, so looking forward to getting him out on some of the Poco River trails, a little of SFU, and some of the Lost Lake trails up at Whistler.

Should be fun.

Yesterday was forgettable. New bike to break in, new angles on the bike, rusty rider, and too much "sessioning" on Salvation. Although this trail is gnar, I would have liked to have a quick look, log it to memory, and move on...but instead was forced to watch the Wilby and Andy show for 30 minutes. Sort of ruined what little flow I had developed.

Other than that, we were outside, riding our bikes...good enough for me! Saturday will be on dad duty, so no go for me. Thanks for asking.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/bike/

Whistler just keeps stepping it up. Another reason why renting a shack for a month might not be such a bad idea. 10-8 every day? Double black runs down the Garbonzo chair line? Are you kidding me?

I see a lot of Tuesday afternoon drives up to Whistler this summer.:D

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, very nice.

I foresee camping at the Cal-cheak rec site a few times this this summer. If the girls in Whistler weren't outnumbered 10,000 to 1 I might even think there'd be a chance of bringing one back to my tent. As it is I'll have to stick bring the old lady up instead I guess.

Don't tell her I said that.

You rent the shack and I bet Rob will come. He might even go up to Whistler too.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Downhill/Freeride 2005.

Check out TheRob's new ride. I bought the frame off a guy who works at a local bike factory. He had it custom painted for me. My choice. I think it turned out pretty sweet.

Dude, I hate you for where you are right now. Cnut. :mad:

Attachments

• CustomPaintRM72.jpg
    CustomPaintRM72.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 91

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Nice rig...good thing you have friends that can hook you up.

Finland is a beautiful country. Great people, all very fit. Lots of trees, sunny, little chilly. Sun doesn't fully set.

Looking forward to two days riding in the French / Swiss alps over the weekend.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Nice ride Rob, but what's with the Grease paint job? Go greased lightning, burn up the quarter mile! Greased lightning! Go greased lightning!

I have to agree with Dude that Finland is pretty cool. One point I have to disagree on though is the "a little chilly" part. I was there about two weeks ago and it was more than "a little chilly". Both my nuts froze up and fell off as soon as I stepped off the plane. The chicks are cute but not hot like the Swedish or Danish women. They are a hell of a lot more boisterous and forward though which really compensates.

Right then, carry on.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Woodlot yesterday was good. It was wet, but the trails were nice and tacky. It was the first ride on the new wheels so I took it pretty easy. Just trying to feel her out you know? ;)

Good times.

Now that you are back Potatoe, we need to hit the Woodlot. You have to see for yourself what Dude complains about all the time.

Another shot. Outdoorsy.

Attachments

• Custom Paint RM7 3.JPG
    Custom Paint RM7 3.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 97

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Nice rig...good thing you have friends that can hook you up.
Can that same friend help me get the crack I found in it last night fixed?

Not happy.:mad:

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

Warranty????

or No warranty special deal???

Hope you can get it fixed. I could weld it but you personalized paint job would be toast.:D

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I should be able to get things sorted. It was bought private from an industry guy so we'll see what happens.

If push comes to shove though, what's a little weld here or there. ;)

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

TheRob said:
I should be able to get things sorted. It was bought private from an industry guy so we'll see what happens.

If push comes to shove though, what's a little weld here or there. ;)

So it was damaged and destroyed from Inventory!!;)

:D

Wanna buy some speakers???

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Anyone interested in riding the Woodlot on Thursday? 5pm?

Notty? Dap? Dude if you are back? knvb?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alps

Well, just flew in last night. Boy are my arms tired.

After working in Finland for a couple of days, me and the Mrs flew off to Geneva, where we were picked up by our hosts for the next three nights, Tom & Alison atwww.alpsaccommodation.com. They have a little chalet located in the medieval village of Samoens, nestled in the Alps. We stayed three nights in their B&B. This is such a cool little town. It sits at about 2000' above sea level, sort of like Whistler, but completely unspoiled. Lots of cool little restaurants, amazing food. After a good meal out the first night, Jamie from Ride the Alps ( http://www.ridethealps.com/index.html ) picked me up at 8:00 Saturday morning. He had an Orange Patriot 66 for me, I forked over the Eros for the rental and two days guiding, and off we went. First climb up was Col de Joux-Plane ( http://www.letour.fr/2006/TDF/presentation/us/profil_17.html ), the beginning of which is literally just outside Tom's place, and also happens to be the 17th stage of this year's Tour de France. The climb is "HC" (out of category) at 8.7% grade, 11.7 KM. Compared to Alp D'Huez (7.9% grade, 13.9 KM), stage 15 and far more famous, this climb is a bitch. Alp D'Huez is considered tougher, though, because of the number of switchbacks and distance. But, I can tell you I have a newfound respect for these guys and the drugs they're on.

Once at the top, we proceeded down one of the several seemingly endless single track descents over the next two days. All the trails out there are old marked "foot paths", but rarely used by hikers. Nothing extreme, at least by North Shore standards, but I can tell you that nothing on the Shore has a view, or sheer drop off if you happen to go too far right, like these had. Plus, as you descend, you pass through several small villages on the way down.

Over the two days, we rode 6 long, hard climbs, and reaped the benefits. On the second day, after lunch, my legs said "No mas" to any more climbing, so we shuttled one last hit. Jamie is a former pro cross country racer who's made a career out of avoiding "work" and doing what he wants to do...mainly guiding. He's lived in Tibet, where he guided climbing expeditions, then came to France to start this small business. The guy can climb forever...humbling. On descents, happy to say the Canadian kid showed him a thing or two. I'm the first guy from the Shore he's ever guided, so he used me as a tester on some of the descents he can't take his regular clients. That was cool, as he himself didn't know what to expect either.

Anyhow, long story short, absolutely amazing, and hard work. I'll post some photos in the multimedia section.

Anyhow, one of these years I'll get up the balls to take on one of the 7 day cross Alp tours he offers...

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

The Woodlot owned me today. Two large crashes. Seems I was riding a little too hard for the old HT.

The trip sounds like it was great Dude. Lucky shite.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

It truly is amazing. Does the whole world think it?

Attachments

• KNVBestleCnut.jpg
    KNVBestleCnut.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 77

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

I can't speak for the whole world, TheRob, but in my travels it seems to be a unanimous sentiment.

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

It was a year ago Today I was in Austria... these pictures remind me of the alps in Austria. Beautifull places!!!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts