Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Free Agent Frenzy!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's a lot of other teams in hurting situations...

Philly is nearly 4 million over the cap without Jason Smith signed up and 10 defensemen on NHL contracts...and 11 forwards...I wonder how easily we could take on one one the Albatross Dmen contracts for just one year (Hatcher) along with Hartnell...

Maybe Hatcher and Hartnell for Pyatt (They love size in Philly) Raymond and Cowan...Giving them relief to the Cap (Hatcher) and three NHL Forwards for one in Hartnell...maybe the Nucks would need to throw in a draft pick, or most likely they WOULD have to...
nhlnumbers.com » Team Overview

Detroit has 4 mill in cap space left with Zetterberg, Hossa, Samuelsson, Hudler, Kopecky, and Franzen all going into the last year of their current contracts, with Fillpula as an RFA right now. They have 11 NHL Forwards and once Chelios signs on they will have 8 defensemen...
nhlnumbers.com » Team Overview

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Agreed, at this point it looks like rebuilding is the best path to take. However Gillis has been declaring his intention to build a winner immediately, to the fans, owners, media and players. I really wonder if he has the balls to admit he struck out in free agency, his attempt to acquire Dan Boyle, Sundin and whatever other moves he has tried to make that we haven't heard of.

Scary part about rebuilding though is it might be tough to get full value for the Sedin's and Luongo and it could take quite a few years before the Canucks are good again. But really unless Gillis pulls something out of his ass, next year isn't looking too bright so far.

Oh I think they'd get a massive load, they just have to play through the season, and offload them at trade deadline. Look at what some of these top blue chips went for last year? No reason that will change. Especially Luongo.

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
totally false. Tax losses can only be used against income from similar businesses. Aquilini can't simply shift the losses from the Canucks and move them to the real estate or investment division.

If you want to make the franchise more valuable, only true method to increase the value is to build a winner. Even increasing seating capacity won't do it. It's the intangible or goodwill from the sale of a sports franchise will the owners really make more money.

If you think these owners don't know how to structure their finances to avoid taxes and bring taxable income down you're dreaming. While my statement on this was simplistic so is yours. I actually don't know how the Canucks are structured in ownership by Aquilini.

Your franchise values are more complex than you suggest if you look at Forbes.com and search "The business of hockey". Your view is sort of wrong.

Team owners are not dissimilar to house buyers who want their home investment to appreciate as the value of capital appreciation is what most owners of teams are ultimately seeking.

My original point was whether the Aquilinis need to make money on the Canucks in a big way or not as one fan on radio speculates that maybe they want to reduce payroll. They sure knew Sundin wasn't going to come to West for more travel at 37 years of age when he is thinking of maybe not playing.

Enjoy the article.

Will Owning an NHL Team Go Out of Style?

Jes GolbezPosted Feb 13th 2008 3:20PM by Jes Golbez
Filed under: General NHL, Predators, Oilers, NHL Economics

With the American economy heading into a big time recession, the purchase of luxury goods will likely be cut back as consumers need the money for more important things.

Given that, The Wall Street Journal asks "Is Owning a Sports Team a Losing Bet?"

For decades, the sports world has been insulated from economic reality because there are plenty of tycoons with millions to burn and not enough teams to go around.

But investment bankers and sports-team appraisers see reasons why that pattern is likely to come under strain. Even some team owners privately voice jitters.

"Nothing keeps going up, no matter what," says Steve Greenberg, an investment banker at Allen & Co. who specializes in the sports business. "If we're headed into a significant economic disruption, where people don't feel comfortable about their net worth, that will affect everything."

Now, if you are super wealthy, is a recession really going to matter to you? Is cutting back from four to two Ferrari per month akin to switching to eating Kraft Dinner three times a week to cut corners? Of course not!

Just look at the recent purchases of the Edmonton Oilers and Nashville Predators, and see that the both buyers paid well over the Forbes' market value by at least 30%.

The real reason that wealthy men own sports teams, besides the prestige factor, is that the club can provide an extremely awesome tax write-off and can appreciate in value over time.

The Oilers? That big ownership group bought the club made $2.80 for every $1 invested (not accounting for inflation, not that it matters) when the sale was made.

In the end, there will always be those people who are exorbitantly wealthy and feel the need to show it off, no matter how bad the economy is for the rest of us peons. Don't bet on NHL teams being hard to sell in the near future.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
So with Bernier here now....

Sedin-Sedin-Bernier
Pyatt-Wellwood-Raymond
Pettinger-Kessler-Burrows
Hodrichuk-Johnson-Cowan?
leaves: Hansen

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
No way Gillis will do that.He looks at things mutch as line at the time.Twins need Carcillio with them.They have the skill and the moves Carcillion can chip in and can take anybody on.That guy.Second line Welwood Hadjson and Horduchuk again you have guy that will com things dow.Third line Kesle Burrows and Rypien again you have a guy that can throw them,forth line Johnson Pyatt and a guy from farm club.I agree with Hansen and ,Bolduc,Shanon.Pettinger is not proven player i do not think he is Gillisi's plans.

As far as D.
Olhand and Edler are your number one line.
Salo and Krajichek are number two.
Mitchel and Bieksa are nuber three.
McIver is as good as Bieksa he can take his spot.Bieksa can bring in tough guy with hands.
Bumgartner is still better than Krajichek it remains to see what moves he will maske.
Do not forget the stile of play is defensive.We do not need dacer prancers we need tough smart guys.Just look at the size of four clubs in our group.You will not beat them with dancing.They will kill you in the corners.
You will see old style of hockey thios year.Much stronger team.Just like Ducks with better name.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
You have to keep Luongo.
If by chance they get into the playoffs good goaltending is everything.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Mr. Base...please. For the love of God. Stop.

Are you typing with your nose? Are you handless and using a hook? Might you actually be a horse or some sort of animal with cloved feet?

So painfull.

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't even read Mr.Base's posts anymore. Scroll past.

I agree Goaltending is everything... but...

Detroit wins the Stanley cup with Osgood. He's at under 2 million a year.
Pittsburgh went to the finals with Fleury. I don't think I would put him in the top 5.

Who are some of the previous winners?
Anaheim with Giquere against Ottawa with who?
Carolina with who? against Edmonton with who?
Tamba bay with who back in 06'.

yes having a good goalie is great in the Playoffs. But lately it seems to be all around team.
Look at Turco, Luongo, Brodeur, etc.. lately..
You need firepower up top and some great Defence.
As all these teams had.
Like Anahiem and there huge d that year. As well as Detroit this year.
I don't even remember Carolina's keeper that year. Ward? or something.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't even read Mr.Base's posts anymore. Scroll past.

I agree Goaltending is everything... but...

Detroit wins the Stanley cup with Osgood. He's at under 2 million a year.
Pittsburgh went to the finals with Fleury. I don't think I would put him in the top 5.

yes having a good goalie is great in the Playoffs. But lately it seems to be all around team.
Look at Turco, Luongo, Brodeur, etc.. lately..
You need firepower up top and some great Defence.
As all these teams had.
Like Anahiem and there huge d that year. As well as Detroit this year.

You make a very good point.

What Noonis' legacy may indeed be is picking up Luongo for next to nothing as an ASSET, that Gillis later turns around and builds the future with.

The game has changed, and you no longer need an all world tender to win in the playoffs.

You need tempo, speed, skill.

Not unlike those mighty Langley Lounge Lizards.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money

Giguere verus Emery...(Both played outstanding all playoff long)

Carolina Ward who was amazing a why he got a huge raise

Tampa had Nikolai Khabibulin who also stood on his head.

Goaltending is huge come playoff time, we need to keep Loungo, so when we ever make the playoffs he could make the difference

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree they all did great to go all the way.

But those names are far from consistent big names like Luongo, Brodeur, Turco, etc...

One year wonders the some of them. Where is Ward, Emery and Giguere now?
It seems to me, that goalies get hot at the right time and help a great team win.

None of those goalies won the cup for there team. They had great players in front of them as well.

Obviously, a good balace of all positions is needed. And your goalie can't crap the bed when it comes to playoffs.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree they all did great to go all the way.

But those names are far from consistent big names like Luongo, Brodeur, Turco, etc...

One year wonders the some of them. Where is Ward, Emery and Giguere now?
It seems to me, that goalies get hot at the right time and help a great team win.

None of those goalies won the cup for there team. They had great players in front of them as well.

Obviously, a good balace of all positions is needed. And your goalie can't crap the bed when it comes to playoffs.

I agree also with you but Loungo and Turco haven't won anything and are in my opinion not in the same group of playoff goaltenders as Brodeur, Giguere and Osgood until they prove themselves.

BTW Ward won the Cup!!!

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can someone ban Mr Base...

Not only are his posts incredibly difficult to read and understand he talks pish.

If Darcy Hordichuk plays on the Canucks second line the end is near. He has 2 goals in the last two seasons.

Also, Carcillo is a retard the twins need to be as far away from Daniel Carcillo as humanly possible...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fillpula would be good, except that he is predominantly a centre ice man.

He is a horse... But would render Kesler useless if we brought him in...

I would prefer the Nucks chase Hanzen down if they are to pursue any of the Wings...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0