Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Premier Hip Hip Hooray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
This isn't the first time this has come up. Personally, I don't like chanting hip-hip-hooray three times with my hands in the middle of a pack. Some teams can get away with it. Some teams cannot. My team is laden with balding, graying old men with weathered skin. Their hands are consumed with liver spots. Do I need to witness this debacle after every game? Some guys look rather effeminate when chanting. Then the dilemma of where you stand in the line-up to greet the other team? I believe it is decided by a self-perceived
notion of where you rank quality-of-play wise for the day. Does the best player stand in the front of the line or the end? It can cause a rift within the team. What about the perception of how your opponent has wacked your hand? Did he mean something more by that extra force upon contact? How about when you hear "good game" directed towards you and the teammate behind you gets "great game"?
Fur fcuk sakes...

Right then, we're done with the "3 cheers" are we? :rolleyes:

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fcuk, you guys are missing the whole point. Except Ballbaby and his liver spots...:D

Agreed with Regs - this isn't about how childish you look standing in a circle chanting a cheer for the other team. Nobody says you have to put your hand in anyway, or do the hokey pokey, as seems to be popular in Surrey. Think about it - most of us look awful in shorts, but we wear them to play anyway (except for the leggings and mittens types on ACBC) - it's part of the sport.

For what it's worth, it's about sportsmanship. With a very few possible exceptions, none of us are going to get national team call-ups anymore, and you're not getting paid to play anymore either. What's left? How about enjoying the game? How about the fact that you can forget that you and #8 on the other team just finished trying to break each other's legs and can now go have a pint together?

Personally, I feel that if somebody's got his nose so far out of joint over a game he has no financial stake in that he won't cheer or shake hands with the other team, I don't want him playing for me. This is usually the same kind of induhvidual who won't stick up for his team mates either.

bollox,

Trece

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, the reason I am out right now is because I tore my calf muscle while jumping in jubilation cheering hip-hip-hooray! Fricken dangerous!:rolleyes:

FCbytca

Sep 22, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
uhmmmm i don't do the hip hip hoooray or the team cheer at the begining, i think its bad luck.......but trece, I'll stick up for my team :p

Jock

Jul 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I understand what you’re saying about sportsmanship & I agree that it’s important. All I’m suggesting is we show our respect for the opponent & the blind guy in the middle directly after the last whistle. A shake of the hand & a pat on the back & away we go without the “3 cheers”….

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
uhmmmm i don't do the hip hip hoooray or the team cheer at the begining, i think its bad luck.......but trece, I'll stick up for my team :p

Geez, and here I thought it was just because you were slow coming off the line...:rolleyes:

I know you never made it to the start of a game (especially after a sushi binge), but we don't do the team cheer before the game either. Never have - just always felt it's too Merkin of a thing to do, whereas the cheer and handshake afterward is part of fitba culture. Even the injured on our team do it, frequently with beverages in hand...

I dunno. Maybe it's just because I've been playing so long that nearly every team I play against has at least one or two players I know, and just having my 9 year old run out on the field yelling "you suck" at the other team is a bit anti-climatic...

Trece

Osame bin madden

Feb 2, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Im not sure if they are still doing it but a few years back when I coached Poco we changed the 3 cheers to a clap for the other team. Im sure Bigbag the control freak changed it up.....

Giggsy

Sep 24, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
fcuk the cheers and just shake bloody hands. when was the last time you saw fergie get rooney, giggs, and scholes in a circle and give a hip hip hooray like flamers and line up to to shake hands? GET RID OF IT

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When's the last time you saw Fergie and the boys head straight for the cooler after the match?

Good fcuking logic, that :rolleyes:

Giggsy

Sep 24, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
they get paid we get drunk....so does that mean we have to cheer like homos?? come off it regs

bigbag

Oct 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Im not sure if they are still doing it but a few years back when I coached Poco we changed the 3 cheers to a clap for the other team. Im sure Bigbag the control freak changed it up.....

Yes he did! No cheers or claps or whatever just a handshake.
and may I say if it hadn't been 4 u on the weekend it could have been 14 nowt. Even sweeter when u put that jersey on. Only fair that I give you credit when it's due.:cool: A man's game on Saturday but everyone shook hands after, the way it should be. Enjoy the rest of your season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0