Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How to improve youth development

bluebird

Mar 17, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The problem with soccer here is that most players don't know how to play the game tactically. They don't understand the game and therefore can not play within a system. That has less to do with coaching at the higher levels and has everything to do with the development of our youth at the crucial age levels. I've played with many guys who are talented within their own right and/or natural athletes, but simply weren't intelligent soccer players.

this is a quote from another thread but covers the same ground as this thread and sum's up what i have always felt

there are plenty of soccer camps acadamys e.t.c. e.t.c. out there for kids to go to, I just question what they are being taught and at what age.

most coaches with any sort of ticket have been taught by some one senior on the ladder and he was taught by the guy above him and this all filters down to the kids. we then produce kids / young guy's who cant compete at the higher level.
i just think the top end have got it wrong.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is my point as far as having a developmental league that is going to help more than the 18 players that are selected as the 'next ones' who will make up the only players that Canadian U17, U20, MNT, WNT will look at. We have lots of levels for recreation but lack levels for competitive. We miss or discourage so many good, intelligent young players by selecting big, early matured boys and girls!

We also need different levels of clubs that meet the needs of these players. In fact, we do but players aren't allowed to move to these clubs because of out of district restrictions that some clubs and BC Soccer support. Even within the youth select leagues on the boys side (the girls side is even worse!) where we are suppose to be advancing players as far as we can push them, there are districts and clubs who want to advance the system to make it more professional and closer to where it is in the states and others that want it to be closer to recreation. These districts need to go into a tier two league and let the 'charter' clubs assist in developing higher level players, reading them for leagues like a junior soccer league or higher with less restrictions. Washington State has Select (tier III), PDL (tier II) and now US Developmental (tier I). The clubs need to meet the requirements to be able to play in these league. Not just anyone is allowed to join! They don't have 'state' teams.

Earlier, I made reference to MLS teams or potential MLS teams being 'monsters' but what I should have said was they would become a monster or juggernauts that would be controlled by no one but themselves except the league itself. Due to the lack of strength we have in our National Association (CSA) our MLS teams will be controlled by an American league that we will have very little say over. The argument could be that the NHL is basically an American league and it has Canada's interest at heart but my counter to it would be the NBA and what it did here in Vancouver! The MLS has itself at heart first, and then US development second. But again, they don't rely on MLS Academy teams to provide their players.

I think that the residency program is a good idea. It's closer to the junior league model and, from what I've heard, they are very good and entertaining to watch. We just need to be allowed to have more of them (maybe charter clubs have to have this option for their players to be considered a charter club) without the restriction of making them ineligible for University scholarships. That way they can play the Whitecaps and be allowed to compete on an even playing field and produce more players for the pool of potential players.

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Blue bird your posts are Ok. That's what it is at upper levels. Where the hole thing goes dow is at rep soccer. That is select and gold levels. There is far to much inerfirance from the board people. Most of them have kids on the teams. Most of those kids are silver one level at the best. That is why othe parent start the wars. It is unfair system. Kids get hurt. That is why I pointed out before that the development has to fall in to hands of X premier players.The only way kids will be tought the proper steps to get to the top.You can not have five clubs in Burnaby area or five clubs in Vancouver. It has to be Burnaby Club . Vancouver Club. Or split it in to two. Same goes for other areas. The level is way to low. Ony Clubs that do the poching build the power clubs. But god help you if you point it out. Your kid is dumed from that point on. Referee system has to fall under the Province controll and not an iduidual club. Refs have to be sent all over the place. This way there would be no controll of the out come of the games. That alone would change soccer here.And most of all. This is canada and all the kids should play in the summer so it becomes BC soccer. Equal for all. We have enough turf fields to do it.
Games could be played as 9pm in the summer. It is all simple. But any guy that is willing to step forward to do something prodactive is choped by the governing body that has never played soccer. Sad but true. Take your kids and go to tournaments in US and Canada and you will do your job. At the same time you do not have to take their kids and everyone will have fun.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0