Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How will HPL affect Gold/Silver levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mal

The HPL leage is a move in the right direction for the elite level soccer players but what happens to the others like the Gold/Silver level players.
The HPL seems to be a major overhaul of BC soccer and with only 8 franchises theres going to be alot of talented players missing out.

Gold 1 should be really strong as it will contain players who just missed the cut for HPL.

M

Mal

Well in a perfect world there will be a filter-down effect.

This was all discussed in the other HPL forum.

Maybe it was but its getting to the finale now and theres not mention of those that will miss out.

M

Mal

I,m sure the clubs missing out won,t take the decision so easily.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
No one knows who will or won't be selected to HPL at this point. Clubs missing out? Surely only a select few clubs think they might have a chance. AS they know 2 spots are guaranteed (Okanagan and Victoria), with another 3 (Abby, Metro Ford, and Surrey United strongly favoured) the final 3 spots are up for grabs. In reality I can only see 4-5 clubs really fighting for those spots (Richmond, Burnaby, Vancouver, North Fraser, Surrey FC). The remaining boys metro clubs of Delta, North Shore, and Nanaimo would all link-up with an accepted HPL club spot...so I am not really sure what people would think they are "losing". The 4-5 that "miss out" will really only lose 3-5 players each, which isn't a whole lot.

M

Mal

No one knows who will or won't be selected to HPL at this point. Clubs missing out? Surely only a select few clubs think they might have a chance. AS they know 2 spots are guaranteed (Okanagan and Victoria), with another 3 (Abby, Metro Ford, and Surrey United strongly favoured) the final 3 spots are up for grabs. In reality I can only see 4-5 clubs really fighting for those spots (Richmond, Burnaby, Vancouver, North Fraser, Surrey FC). The remaining boys metro clubs of Delta, North Shore, and Nanaimo would all link-up with an accepted HPL club spot...so I am not really sure what people would think they are "losing". The 4-5 that "miss out" will really only lose 3-5 players each, which isn't a whole lot.

Its not really just about losing 4-5 players its the fact that certain clubs who miss out will be upset and will feel they were more deserving of a spot than others. U guys mention that Surrey Utd is guaranteed a spot - i,m pretty sure that Surrey Fc and Central City Soccer Club will be very upset if they miss out.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Current Central City/Whalley is linked with Surrey FC @ metro - why would this change for HPL?

I agree - Surrey FC should get a spot AS WELL as Surrey United.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Current Central City/Whalley is linked with Surrey FC @ metro - why would this change for HPL?

Theres not much to choose between SFC and Surrey Utd and both deserve HPL franchises but SU has the edge here .

Facilities- Both have brilliant facilities but SFC has the edge with 3 turf fields and 5 top grass fields.
Organization- Both have very committed members/volunteers .
Older Teams - SU are def better here with the best mens and womens open teams
Kids/Youth teams- SFC has the edge in the younger age groups upto about u13 but SU is better teams after u13.
Technical Director- SU probably have the best TD in BC in Jeff Clarke who has played at the top level and still does so and is a very good organizer.
Registered players- Both clubs must have the most registered players in BC - does anyone know how many players they both have ?

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Surrey FC should be awarded an HPL spot. As should/will Surrey United. Some clubs are going to have a lot to say for themselves in the bidding process - all good things.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
When will the tryouts be for the Gold and Silver players . Will they be held after the HPL tryouts so that players missing out on HPL can try for Gold .

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Have to assume clubs will run tryouts "as per usual" re: metro/gold/silver. HPL tryouts will be "as per usual" I suspect in respect to the SYL timelines...some clubs (such as Metro-Ford) have already listed their SYL coaching staff. So they could conceivably start tryouts for SYL/HPL any time.

GEORDIE

May 15, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree Surrey FC should be awarded an HPL spot. As should/will Surrey United.

If both these 2 Surrey Clubs get a franchise which other clubs will combine with them or give them players for the HPL.
SFC has links with Whalley and SU has links with Guildford but is there any other clubs who will partner up with the 2 Surrey clubs for HPL.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey United has both Langley clubs (boys & girls) & Guildford to draw from while Surrey FC has SurDel (girls), Surrey City (Whalley) and perhaps North Delta?

I wouldn't count out the South Fraser bid either at this point as Peace Arch & Semiahmoo have everything in place in terms of infrastructure and facilities, something a couple of the other bids that I know of are lacking right now.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Don't know if it has been stated here yet or not, but a CCFC merge w/ Surrey Breakers is imminent. I'm heading to a meeting later this month to get all the details and discuss. It would bring the total club player membership to something like 2200.

HPL has been mentioned as a potential "cost"...so dispite me being happy to not be involved w/ HPL- as I think it's a poorly thought out concept right now that will only serve to actually water down every level- it appears I'll be dragged in kicking and screaming.

bettermirror

Sep 19, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
What all this means is there will be an HPL2 sooner rather than later. Tells me despite all the histrionics and insinuation the clubs actually do want the best for the kids they serve! :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In a round about way, yes. But consider this: how is a medium or small sized specialized club supposed to survive in the current environment when they don't have the membership required to have a voice at the city? SBAA is dwarfed by the larger clubs like SU and SFC, even though SBAA mandate all along has been to specialize their programs to female players. As a father to a young girl, this is what attracted me to SBAA, and this turned into getting back into coaching because I saw that team and club needed more qualified coaches.

But, the low membership numbers hurt the club, thus, they are required to partner up w/ another club w/ like minded goals, etc. Unfortunately, to me, they are forced to sell part of their soul to better serve the membership (getting the clout at the city level to get fields, clubhouses, etc.). They are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Take off your rose colored glasses for a moment and think about this: now there is a "higher" level of play being introduced, and from the early numbers, it appears that these HPL clubs will only replace what already exists w/ Metro. Am I that far off here?

As a result, Metro will become redundant while being pillaged, and Gold / Silver levels will also be pillaged. They will in fact become "lower" levels to serve the concept of HPL.

So here's a thought: Forget the HPL, and RETRACT some Metro level spots, then call it the HPL if you really want to. Make the Merto / HPL league smaller, and invest more into it. Follow the 10 month plan as laid out. The trickle down effect will be that Gold will become more competitive, as well as Silver, Bronze, and possible grow house. What “Elite” should be defined as is a small group comprised of the best or most skilled members of a larger group. The plan as laid out now has too many kids finding their way into that “Elite” bracket, thus rendering the title and end goal redundant.

Seriously bettermirror, if you think carefully about this, there is a better way to get to where everyone wants us to be: a higher standard of play at the elite level of both boys and girls. My spidy senses tell me that the way the plan is laid out now will not only water down the system, but set back growth 5 years while the system flounders, and the entire process is reviewed.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
In a round about way, yes. But consider this: how is a medium or small sized specialized club supposed to survive in the current environment when they don't have the membership required to have a voice at the city? SBAA is dwarfed by the larger clubs like SU and SFC, even though SBAA mandate all along has been to specialize their programs to female players. As a father to a young girl, this is what attracted me to SBAA, and this turned into getting back into coaching because I saw that team and club needed more qualified coaches.

But, the low membership numbers hurt the club, thus, they are required to partner up w/ another club w/ like minded goals, etc. Unfortunately, to me, they are forced to sell part of their soul to better serve the membership (getting the clout at the city level to get fields, clubhouses, etc.). They are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Take off your rose colored glasses for a moment and think about this: now there is a "higher" level of play being introduced, and from the early numbers, it appears that these HPL clubs will only replace what already exists w/ Metro. Am I that far off here?

As a result, Metro will become redundant while being pillaged, and Gold / Silver levels will also be pillaged. They will in fact become "lower" levels to serve the concept of HPL.

So here's a thought: Forget the HPL, and RETRACT some Metro level spots, then call it the HPL if you really want to. Make the Merto / HPL league smaller, and invest more into it. Follow the 10 month plan as laid out. The trickle down effect will be that Gold will become more competitive, as well as Silver, Bronze, and possible grow house. What “Elite” should be defined as is a small group comprised of the best or most skilled members of a larger group. The plan as laid out now has too many kids finding their way into that “Elite” bracket, thus rendering the title and end goal redundant.

Seriously bettermirror, if you think carefully about this, there is a better way to get to where everyone wants us to be: a higher standard of play at the elite level of both boys and girls. My spidy senses tell me that the way the plan is laid out now will not only water down the system, but set back growth 5 years while the system flounders, and the entire process is reviewed.

Dude,

I know your pain and anxiety you have. Metro-Ford SC had to do exactly that when they joined up with Coquitlam City to make Coquitlam Metro-Ford SC - two clubs that did not get along and fought tooth and nail over fields etc... How did it turn out? Way, WAY better than anyone could have expected as both clubs looked at their weaknesses and strengths that each club brought to the table. Besides the many successes on the field, the new club made Coquitlam a better place to play soccer in and more clout when it came to field improvement, usage and a voice in building new facilities in the community. Without coming together, we would never be as strong as we are now, that's for sure!

It sounds easy to say cut down the Metro league or get rid of teams in the Select league but it was never going to happen. Membership wouldn't have voted to remove other members and moving to a new concept was the only way. Telling certain districts to make decisions to cut down the teams already in the Metro league would have been too difficult. What if they said that Surrey Breakers weren't allowed? Would that have been fair? (I don't really know as I don't know the politics of Surrey, I'm just using them because you're there).

Soccer in BC needs a higher standard, especially at the older age levels of youth. I think we can all agree on that. The way select and metro are set up, it wasn't going to happen in those leagues. Players are going to have to come from somewhere.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jonesey,

When we were kids, we all played for our clubs (Bell Air, Cape Horn, etc.), and aspired to gain a try-out at Metro Ford and compete for a spot on the Metro Ford Squad, representing Coquitlam. My coached encouraged us to try out in the summer months, because they knew, if we made the squad, we would develope further than we could playing "A Gold".

So, to answer your question, IMO, if it means SBAA is a development club where the very best of our girls would move on the the "Elite" team of the district, then by my way on thinking that's fine. What are we all in this for, afterall? Development.

I'm not questioning the need for a higher standard, I'm questioning the method.

If anyone can come up w/ an answer to explaining how adding MORE "elite" level teams to the current mix actually helps improve the standard of play, I'm all ears.

That being said, I can't see how this would actually improve the standard.

Now, if there were, say, one "HPL" team allocated per city- or per "district" meeting a certain population, and the HPL itself was run as a seperate entity onto itself that the top players in each district apply to, fine, but that doesn't appear to be the case. What appears to be the case is that big clubs are loading up for a piece of the pie, which really doesn't change the current situation, does it?

Maybe I'm missing something Jonesey, but I don't see how all this actually will improve the elite level. To do that, you need fewer, not more elite teams.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not gonna arguing with you on that point. I agree. If the Select/metro league had the authority to do this, than yes it should be done. But they don't and won't.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too bad. The term "Common Sense" is an oximoron. "Good Sense", as always, is in short supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0