Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HPL <-> MSL movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

parent

Mar 16, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI

As a parent of a HPL player, I can tell that the South Fraser interested player forms WORKS with Confidentially promised.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
FYI

As a parent of a HPL player, I can tell that the South Fraser interested player forms WORKS with Confidentially promised.

Yes, SU has the same format.

It does seem like a good way for parents / players submit their interest without necessarily having to go to the field first and get the coaches attention etc.

As many of the players and parents from various clubs know one another, that could be awkward.

IE; "ahhh, guess who I saw out at the field tonight watching our practice and talking to coach!"

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there really enough talent for a B division? Personally, I think the players who would be at this level SHOULD be playing metro/selects - that's why we have all this insanity of tiering.

I'm sure, in my cynical way, that at least some of the BCPL clubs will explore this idea in an attempt to convince more families to open their wallets for the cachet of "my Junior's playing BCPL this year" even if Junior is on the B team...

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there really enough talent for a B division? Personally, I think the players who would be at this level SHOULD be playing metro/selects - that's why we have all this insanity of tiering.

I'm sure, in my cynical way, that at least some of the BCPL clubs will explore this idea in an attempt to convince more families to open their wallets for the cachet of "my Junior's playing BCPL this year" even if Junior is on the B team...

Simple answer...NO WAY, there isn't. It's called Metro ( or at least that's the idea....and I see becoming more and more the reality this upcoming and subsequent seasons ).

Won't happen....Metro is to be the 'feeder'. Any more than that and things become even more watered down than they are already.

ThiKu

Nov 14, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like I said, "just a thought" and that it'd be a bit of a crapshoot if a franchise had enough of all the things required to form a B team including fields, coaches, and quality of players at tryout. And of course I was only thinking of the u13 and u14 age groups when trial numbers will likely be the highest.

I don't see it happening - just spitballing.

soccerdad

Jan 11, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like I said, "just a thought" and that it'd be a bit of a crapshoot if a franchise had enough of all the things required to form a B team including fields, coaches, and quality of players at tryout. And of course I was only thinking of the u13 and u14 age groups when trial numbers will likely be the highest.

I don't see it happening - just spitballing.

Yeah, figured so, that's the fun of being armchair TD's on here! If they only asked us how to do things!!! :p

A

AMA

Simple answer...NO WAY, there isn't. It's called Metro ( or at least that's the idea....and I see becoming more and more the reality this upcoming and subsequent seasons ).

Won't happen....Metro is to be the 'feeder'. Any more than that and things become even more watered down than they are already.[/QUOTE

For players dropped, they have to look to fill a spot on a Metro team. Remember ood rule applies as does the MSL rule of only three transfers per team per year.
One BCSPL has asked a metro team for something like 4 or 5 players. How does the metro team fill their roster? What happens to the team dynamics? Player first if it suits only the 5% and the BCSPL. Nevermind everyone else.

What happens if some Metro teams don,t have places for the BCSPL dropouts or they might already have 3 out of district players etc and i don,t see many other franchises offering spots to the drop out players.

Timberwolf

Jan 17, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
What happens if some Metro teams don,t have places for the BCSPL dropouts or they might already have 3 out of district players etc and i don,t see many other franchises offering spots to the drop out players.

Good question and something that BCSA needs to consider carefully if their player-development model passes the smell-test.

We effectively don't have Metro on the Island. The Vancouver Island Premier League (VIPL) was intended to be the equivalent of MSL, but it was watered-down almost immediately when UVI formed three teams AND typical Victoria inter-club politics meant practically everyone had to be allowed in (we have 13 municipalities for 350,000 people, it's a small wonder we only have ten clubs). Any how...

So players cut from HPL teams have the option of playing VIPL or Gold (or Highlanders, the elephant in the room). Sounds simple enough until you consider that alongside the OOD rule LISA clubs have yet another transfer rule to contend with - an intra-district transfer rule (certainly special if not unique in Canada and the ROTW) also limiting each team to three "district" transfers (we call them OOB's (out of boundary)).

So any player moving down to VIPL can only play on a team that has the transfer room both under the LISA OOB rule AND prior to the coastal transfer deadline (Jan 15) or OOD rule. Jan 15 comes before HPL team selections are even started so how does someone transfer from a team they don't yet know their not playing on? Short answer is they can't.

So VIPL teams form their teams in August and most, if not all, dutifully fill their full quota of 3 transfers (because if they don't, everyone else will). Then they lose a player or two to HPL BUt they cant accept any ex-HPL players because they don't have the transfer system.

How screwed-up and anti-player development is that? Sorry Sam, sorry Suzy, you can't play HPL but you cant play MSL/VIPL or Gold either?

We seem to have instituted a soccer pyramid that works for players on the way-up, but not the way down.

A

AMA

Okay, the mini-season is over and HPL clubs are free to try and pillage each other and customers are free to look at other options. This is just grand for those staying within the HPL system, but it can be a real cluster for MSL movement.

BCSA, using advanced logic, has decided that only HPL players can stand the strain of an extended season, yet must be sheltered from the harsh Canadian winters. As a result the HPL season aligns with exactly SFA. So, just as the MSL teams are settling in and preparing for cup play, it’s time for HPL to start bringing players out for trials and picking players to help with the start of a new season. For clubs that have closely aligned (e.g. in-house) MSL programs this should cause minimal pain for both teams and any players involved. In other situations it can be a right mess. There are stories of MSL TDs and coaches actively obstructing player HPL trials and communication. Shockingly, not everyone is toeing the line. I don’t expect everyone to like HPL, we all know it (along with every other youth league in BC) has issues, but actually preventing player contact is way out of line. Like it or not, this is HPL’s period for recruiting players.

One scenario that I’m curious about is what if a player decides to stick with a MSL team (for any number of reasons) or the player develops over the next 4-6 months? I guess that’s it for him or her. No spring SYL teams to try out for (can try for academy teams though); another round of MSL and hope your name get’s called. I imagine if a HPL team has a roster spot open then, movement would be possible, but will teams be keeping spots open? If a player does get picked up after the MSL season, can he/she play in the premier cup?

I don’t think movement down to MSL will be all the smooth in some cases either. Players may find themselves in an out of district MSL club and hopefully the OOD rule doesn’t come into play.

CCBFC might need to recruit players and possibly have an open tryout for players interested in joining their BCSPL rosters.

Michele

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what happens if a club does not have 14 boys or girls signed by December 15th for their hpl team? What does that mean, that they cannot field a team? All these rules are confusing.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are talking about the Caps though, I wouldn't put it past that organisation to cut off payments - just ask Akoul :)

Colin Elmes

Aug 10, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
So what happens if a club does not have 14 boys or girls signed by December 15th for their hpl team? What does that mean, that they cannot field a team? All these rules are confusing.

Like alot of things, the rules will just change like they have since this thing has evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0