Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup Imperial Cup 2009

DCR20

Sep 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
IMPERIAL CUP FINAL—2009-03-29

WEST VAN FC – COLUMBUS-CLAN FC 2-1 PK’s
The Imperial Cup final—between West Van FC and Columbus-Clan FC—took place on Sunday at Kinsman Stadium in North Vancouver in front of a large and enthusiastic crowd. It is estimated that about 750 spectators attended the match, an excellent turn-out on a beautiful sunny day!​
After a hard-fought and intense 120 minutes of regular and overtime action, the result had to be settled by penalty kicks. Incredibly, it took 13 rounds of spot kicks to decide a winner! Both goalkeepers, Columbus’ Thomas Lindley and West Van’s Marco Durante were primarily responsible for the elongated procedure as they pulled off some amazing saves. In the end, however, it was young Drew Gelley who blasted home the winner for West Van FC, thus celebrating his 24th birthday in fine fashion.
West Van FC carried most of the play in the first half and came close to scoring on a few occasions, but goalkeeper Thomas Lindley came up with a couple of magnificent saves—both on shots by Desmond Tachie—to keep the game scoreless throughout the first 45 minutes of play. In the second half, neither team was able to penetrate into the opponents’ danger area, mostly due to some superlative marking on the part of both teams’ defensive units. In particular, Columbus’ Jonathan Poli, Tynan Diaz, and Steve Kindel man-marked Ryan Glanville, Milad Rahmati, and Desmond Tachie respectively and succeeded in limiting the vaunted West Van attackers to few, if any, goalscoring chances. At the other end of the pitch, veteran West Van defender Trevor Short was able to mark young superstar Rizal Ganief out of the game with some extraordinary defensive work.
With about 8 minutes remaining in regulation time, Columbus took the lead when ‘GOLDEN BOOT AWARD’ winner Tiernan King headed home a hard drive by Tynan Diaz for what appeared to be the game’s winning goal. At this point, West Van’s coach—Dave Fiorvento—threw caution to the wind as he inserted a couple of attackers—Corey Birza and Sean Taylor—into the mix, replacing defenders Leo Nash and Max Baessato. The tactic proved to be very successful and it paid enormous dividends as West Van pushed forward relentlessly in search of the equalizer. Well into injury time, the former Trollers were finally rewarded when veteran Paul Dailly smashed a hard, speculative drive into the Columbus’ box. The ball narrowly missed the head of Desmond Tachie and somehow found its way into the net, much to the dismay of the Columbus players. The overtime was rather uneventful as both teams appeared clearly fatigued and unwilling to take any unnecessary risks. The match, and the Imperial Cup winner, therefore had to be decided on penalty kicks. Both teams scored 5 times in the regular ‘shootout’ and added a goal apiece in the knock-out round. However, Thomas Lindley and Marco Durante came up with some miraculous saves in the next three rounds to keep the score tied. Finally, in the 13th round, Columbus’ Scott McEachrean agonizingly watched his shot miss the net by mere centimetres, with Durante well-beaten. Birthday boy Drew Gelley then proceeded to calmly step up to the plate and slot home the winner. Both teams should be congratulated for their wonderful performance—a true credit to the game of soccer in general and to the VMSL in particular!!
TEAM OF THE WEEK: WEST VAN FC for its gritty performance in defeating Columbus-Clan FC on penalty kicks after a 1-1 overtime tie. West Van FC is therefore the recipient of the coveted Imperial Cup, a trophy that has been in existence since 1913! This is the first time since 1989 that West Van has won the Imperial Cup. Congratulations to the entire West Van contingent for a job well done!
PLAYER OF THE WEEK: West Van FC’s veteran defender TREVOR SHORT for his magnificent performance in leading his team to an impressive Imperial Cup victory over the very talented Columbus-Clan FC. For the entire 120 minutes of play, Short was able to mark Columbus’ superstar—Rizal Ganief—out of the match with his determination and incredible defensive skills. For his excellent performance this past weekend, Trevor Short will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2009-04-16.

romafan86

Nov 1, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
All this yapping about WVFC looking slow and tired is starting to bug me. I was knackered late in the second and had to come off because of cramps. It was definitely the grass that slowed us down. We have played on turf all season except for two games, 1 vs. Club I in Richmond and the other when we stomped Columbus 3-0 at Hastings bowl. IMO, I was not used to the grass at all and found it very heavy to play in, almost like sand. Of course, we were happy to play on grass since we thought it gave us a slight upper hand against Columbus who would have been very strong on the turf. In the future, we should do some sand training so we can get that extra jump when we have to play on grass lol!

I have to agree with laylow. Having those vets around, at training, in the change room and on the pitch is invaluable. Congrats to everyone. I am so proud to be a member of WVFC!

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
At the other end of the pitch, veteran West Van defender Trevor Short was able to mark young superstar Rizal Ganief out of the game with some extraordinary defensive work.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: West Van FC’s veteran defender TREVOR SHORT for his magnificent performance in leading his team to an impressive Imperial Cup victory over the very talented Columbus-Clan FC. For the entire 120 minutes of play, Short was able to mark Columbus’ superstar—Rizal Ganief—out of the match with his determination and incredible defensive skills. For his excellent performance this past weekend, Trevor Short will receive a prize of a pizza for two, compliments of THE GOLDEN BOOT CAFFE`. The prize is available up to 2009-04-16.

By "mark", did he mean "kick"? That's usually our trick! I was wondering why the rest of the Clan didn't seem to mind there "superstar" was being knocked around all game. Strange.

I didnt get to watch much of the OT as me and threeten were playing spiderman, ninja turtles, and bakugans at the wall behind the east net... but we did come back to watch the peno's.

I have to say... Marco's third PK save was huge. The first two were well read, but not great shots. But the third one was well read and was a fantastic shot. Only to be trumped by a better save. Well done ya big red baseball-hat-wearin loud-mouth vagina.

You might as well print this off and frame it two-nine... closest thing to a compliment you can expect from me.

Well done to WVFC. Helluva season.

Got treble?

professor

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys, I am glad that my post got all of you guys talking.

Two questions still have not been answered.
1. Where did 5 minutes of extra time come from??? Sir M. WV is the home team and extra time should not be added because home teams do not have a spare ball available. It is for injuries or blatent time wasting which neither occured in the second half.

2. Pulling jerseys, the only jersey pulling that I was referring to is the pulling of the Columbus Player's jersey by a WV defender in the second half of OT thereby denying a clear cut breakaway and scoring chance. As last man, this defender should have been called for a professional foul and sent off with a red card.

These two instances had a big impact on the outcome of the game and these questions have not been answered by anyone. If we are talking about EPL and Serie A games, fouls such as this one that I am speaking of is easy to see and are always called.

Player of the week should be the two goalies because they each made the same amount of saves in the game. The Columbus player missed the net on his last shot. Trevor Short does not deserve that recognition. It shows that people see different games and the ones in charge seeing the game don't see it properly.

Lastly, teams that win games don't normally have to criticize their opposition after they play them because they won and the scoreboard says it all. Let's get the level of class back up.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
2. Pulling jerseys, the only jersey pulling that I was referring to is the pulling of the Columbus Player's jersey by a WV defender in the second half of OT thereby denying a clear cut breakaway and scoring chance. As last man, this defender should have been called for a professional foul and sent off with a red card.

Here's the proof Shorty was doing more than just jersey pulling.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DjiF7svXFg]YouTube - Soccer "Ball Grabbing"[/ame]

TheBoss

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Proffesor..Your asking questions, that in your parrallel universe already know the answer to.I think that you need a reality check. You sound ignorant with comments like, the home team didn't have enough balls.I wasn't aware there were delegated ball boys for the VMSL ..extra time went on long enough and it sounds like your just bitching for the sake of bitching. Coming from someone who is impartial you sound like a poor loser aka Columbus supporter.For the record didn't really sound like critcism of the opposition from the WVFC faithful but merely wanting to discuss an outstanding game and for them a great win. Your "questions" or really critcism of anything to take away from their victory causes them to defend a great win.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guys, I am glad that my post got all of you guys talking.

Two questions still have not been answered.
1. Where did 5 minutes of extra time come from??? Sir M. WV is the home team and extra time should not be added because home teams do not have a spare ball available. It is for injuries or blatent time wasting which neither occured in the second half.

2. Pulling jerseys, the only jersey pulling that I was referring to is the pulling of the Columbus Player's jersey by a WV defender in the second half of OT thereby denying a clear cut breakaway and scoring chance. As last man, this defender should have been called for a professional foul and sent off with a red card. :D How far from goal 45 yards....defenders all around? :D Now you're just taking the piss, Prof.

These two instances had a big impact on the outcome of the game and these questions have not been answered by anyone. If we are talking about EPL and Serie A games, fouls such as this one that I am speaking of is easy to see and are always called.

Player of the week should be the two goalies because they each made the same amount of saves in the game. The Columbus player missed the net on his last shot. Trevor Short does not deserve that recognition. It shows that people see different games and the ones in charge seeing the game don't see it properly.

Lastly, teams that win games don't normally have to criticize their opposition after they play them because they won and the scoreboard says it all. Let's get the level of class back up.

Class?????? Bwahahahah....

Have a moan........

Piper

Oct 13, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done lads...the heart and desire to win this game was at a different level and was well deserved right from kick off...

Without question shorty and his old droopy tits were the MOTM...

Great win....Great club.....WVFC!!!!!!

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
My 2 cents as a spectator,,,Awsome game,Great weather. Could have gone either way.
MOTM both Keepers. WV just had that ever so tiny bit more,,,luck is the word i would use. Come on guys ,13 shooters. Each.! I mean to say anyone was better this day is crazy.
If WV would have won the PK in 5 shooters or less maybe you could say they wanted it more. But 13 shooters means only one (1) guy was off.
Wicked final and Congrats to WV

two-nine

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
professor, honestly you are embarrassing yourself now. Your questions (7 in total now) are all bitching that you lost unjustly. Wake the Fcuk up.
Where did 5 minutes come from. Well let's brake it down. Every time you guys kick the ball into the creek to stall time adds up. Probably 2 minutes there. Every time there is a sub the ref is supposed to add 30 seconds to injury time. Since we used 6 subs ( as per you saying we did for sure) then that would be another 3 minutes. How many subs did you make? Time adds up. All the times you guys flopped adds more time so as i see it we didn't play enough.
Question 1: Should we replay the last 2 minutes of the game because we didn't play enough extra time.
Question 2: Would you like to come over and watch some pro soccer on tv as it is clear that you have never seen a real game if you think that shirt pulling is called every time?
Question 3: When someone goes down ever time that he is touched the ref and every one else gets sick of it. Ever heard of never cry wolf because your wolf got marked out of the game by my MOTM. Did you see him do anything? I didn't
Question 4: If someone misses a pk does that count as a miss or a should have gone in but didn't in the books? My books a miss is a miss.
Question 5 and by far the most important: If Columbus won do you think you would be bitching about subs, extra time added on, or shirt pulling? I didn't think so.
Sorry professor but you don't seem so smart with all of these bitching questions. Move on, you lost in pk's. Focus on provincials like we are doing.
As for the drake, did you see Rizal do much in the game. Me either. I guarantee you that if Shorty was not the man of the match then Rizal would have done a lot as he is a good player. Hate the drake.

6-5 don't know what to say, thanks i think. 29

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two-nine and SixFyv, do I see a Buckfast/Captain Shamrock 'make-up' in the future? We are going for pints some time soon.......any chance you two would like to join us?

eagles

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not sure who won the game on Sunday, because so much moaning is going on?? Can someone tell me??

Also if Shorty was MOTM, it was probably deserved, he has been the most under rated defender in the VMSL for years. Way to go Shorty!!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0