Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Internationals - Friendly

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whos the Idiot!

I clearly remember a young Guinness, trying to tell about 15 Italians that Baggio wasnt Italian. During the BC Provincial Team try outs wayyyyyyyyy back in I think 1993, so whos the fukcin idiot??

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Idiots

OK, I can admit that I was young and impressional back in the day... (who wasn't with his older cousin's)??? Anyway it was Scillachi (sp) who I was claiming wasn't a wop!!!:rolleyes: Kind of like your hero Vieri (Aussie):eek:

So we've established I thought the Italians had an import back during the 1990 World Cup... They have one now!!!;)

Zenga still gots ta learn more better Engerish grammar stuff

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Impressional??

Originally posted by Guinness
OK, I can admit that I was young and impressional

Zenga still gots ta learn more better Engerish grammar stuff

Ummm ok!!:D

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Guinness

Vieri was born in Italy, Bolonga to be exact and raised in Australia. So again who looks like the idiot!:eek:

For you man from inter.it. Read if you can!

Physically very strong, centre-forward Christian Vieri possesses a powerful and precise left-footed shot as well as an extraordinary ability to shadow the ball from opponents;
He followed in his father's footsteps. Roberto, a technically very gifted forward, played for Sampdoria, Fiorentina, Juventus, Roma and Bologna;
From his father, Christian Vieri has inherited the habit of regularly changing team. From 1992 to 1999, he played for nine different clubs;
But since he's been at Inter, Vieri seems to have found the environment that suits his requirements;
Born in Italy, Vieri was raised in Australia;
He's known for his extraordinary athletic abilities. He can sprint 30 metres in 3.9 seconds, he can jump 46 centimetres from a stationary position and he can run 3,100 metres in 12 minutes;
Vieri made his 100th Serie A appearance in Inter's 1-1 draw at home to Parma on 14 January, 2001. His 100th goal in official matches came in Inter's 3-0 home win against Atalanta on 6 May, 2001;
Vieri's victims? He has beaten Francesco Antonioli more times than any other keeper (7 goals), while Bologna is the side he has most frequently hit the target against with 8 goals;
He is widely regarded as one of the best strikers around.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ziiiiiiinnnnnnggggggg.....

Playing for the Clan must be helping out the 'eye for glaring errors', Bronco. ;) Although, it hasn't helped HOS over the years. :p

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Zenga, they were getting humped 3 - 0 until Finland made 6 changes. They scored both goals in the last 10 minutes. A piss-take for the rest of the match, I'm sure........

It helped me win a bet, which is the most important thing.....

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Capt I didnt know that! From the score it looked like a good game, was it on TV???

Hey Capt, Im going to have some Swiss Chocolate now you want some?;)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You're a bastard, Zenga.....

Yes, you can enjoy the Swiss chocolate on your own. Ireland just didn't have what they needed to qualify against a strong Swiss team and a decent Russian team. I guess we'll just have to qualify for the World Cup...:rolleyes: :(

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Capt you were spot on!

From uefa.com

Finland 3-2 Canada
Three goals in 18 minutes set up Finland for a 3-2 win over Canada on Saturday in the first match ever played between the two countries.

First-half goals
First-half goals by striker Mikael Forssell, midfield player Joonas Kolkka and Teemu Tainio had Canada reeling. It could have been more but Canadian keeper Pat Onstad managed to save short-range efforts from Forssell and Kolkka. Canada came out with three strikers in the second half and with Dwayne de Rosario from the San Jose Earthquakes creating a spark up front they looked the livelier side.

Canadian consolation
When defender Sami Hyypiä was substituted in the 56th minute, Canada's pressure mounted and in the 74th minute striker Tomasz Radzinski made it 3-1 after beating the offside trap. De Rosario scored again for Canada in the 85th minute, also beating the offside trap, but the Finns held on to win.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did anyone see Roberto Carlos' strike against Jamaica? Fcuking amazing. Keeper, can you find the footage? I wouldn't know how to. That ball bent at least 3 feet.......Seriously....

Captain

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Damned Finns.....

Canadian keeper Pat Onstad

Que?

According to the commentating that I watched of the second half (the last fifteen minutes) goalkeeper was a shiny-pated Lars Hirschfeld....:rolleyes:

Dunno - maybe if there were 6 changes and Hyypia out, the first half was a pisstake; expecially if what I heard about Litmanin (excuse the horrible spelling - no time to look it up) being out injured is true. What the fark do we have to do to get this country's collective arse back properly into this game? The women's team have all the right ingredients right now (except for decent coaching) to be better than competitive; what's the men's team missing? From what I have seen, mostly exposure to the game at a decent level, and proper player development.

Maybe I've just been spoiled watching Mexican League and Euro ball for the last while, but I honestly think that our national level is declining (relatively speaking of course; lots of the individuals I've seen and met are great players); we just don't measure up any more.

Who's next?

Cervezas,

Stew:cool:

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
hey Stew what we are missing is a decent pro league.......the A-League doesn't cut it........you look at countries like Costa Rica who are better than us in the CONCACAF and they have pro leagues........in terms of talent playing in Canada who do we have........you don't expect players from our amateur premier leagues here to be able to compete with the Zidane's, Figo's, etc.,etc., do you?........the women are lucky that they are one of the countries in the world where lot's of girls play soccer......you look at some countries in Europe and in South America and they are just starting to pick up the game.......if Canada's women's team was in the same position as the men's team was in terms of pro leagues then they'd be in the same boat.......I still don't get why Canada can't get a pro league going (albeit a shitty one to begin with) and other nations that are way poorer have leagues

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hate quoting myself....

But I'll do it again.

what's the men's team missing? From what I have seen, mostly exposure to the game at a decent level, and proper player development.

CK, we don't have a national league for a number of reasons. Most of them have already been beaten to death in other threads on this forum, but I'll try to encapsulate it again:

1) Logistics - Canada is a big country with a small population, scattered in pockets of reasonable density. If you want to play, you have to travel, and budget accordingly. Remember the CSL? Countries like Costa Rica, Portugal, Greece, yadax3 don't have this as an issue. Everybody else is only a busride away. See Basic Geography 101 - topics population density, ecumene, and domestic travel.

2) Investment - even though soccer is Canada's #1 participatory sport, people who don't play don't watch. They don't invest, either. For cryin' in a warm beer, we couldn't even keep HOCKEY teams in Quebec or Winnipeg. If nobody is willing to put up money for (or watch) our national sport, what chance does roundball have? See previous arguments about Canada vs. Australia with the "Ministry of Sport" concept..... Also Marketing 101 re selling the concept of investment (the whole CSA could benefit from this as well)

3) Player development - our juvenile club/rep/provincial/training system is atrocious. We have private coaching schools all over the place with no standards to measure and no loyalties to our national/provincial associations. Players get done with Juvenile ball and have nothing further to aspire to. We can't provide them with topflight exposure locally, but we help them even less by giving them substandard coaching in their formative years. At best, we screw them up as little as possible until they're 16 and then send them overseas to somewhere they've got a family or cultural connection with to get made into a better player, and we wonder why they have no loyalty to this country. See any basic coaching/refereeing course, Sports Psychology 101 re motivation of athletes, etc....

CK, the point is that yes, I do expect our boys to be able to compete against the Zidanes and Figos of this world. Maybe not in the next 5 years, but the talent is definitely there. Canadian kids are not inherently less talented than kids playing soccer anywhere else in the world (except for Vinnie - he's hopeless); they just don't get any chances to prove it, and shite coaching and bad politics sure don't help the situation. The shiteheeds in Ottawa need to spend less time empire building and take a long hard look at what's working in other parts of the soccer world and start doing it here. We don't necessarily need to throw megabucks at it, but we do need to all be on the same friggin' page.

blah, blah blah....

end of rant,

Stew:cool:

-30-

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Stew the only thing you have to watch about Vinnie is him scoring in his own net :D .......I know because he's scored on me two or three times and I've saved one on the goal line:eek: ......I understand Canada is a big country but for me that is an excuse......first of all you can split it into two regions.......and have the top teams face each other for a type of cup........second you look at the CSA and it is guys that are dinosaurs......get some others in there.........what is it with Toronto getting a national stadium?........Vancouver or Victoria are more logical since the stadiums can be used year round and better fan support..........I am not saying that we don't have talent here but we are lucky some kids make it in Europe because if they didn't I am saying that people who play on our local league premier teams.....who are amateurs by the way.........could not compete with the Zidanes, etc. etc........I hope the game does get better here but it needs a lot of work and corporate help......if America can have a league with it's size then so can Canada......it's like you said more people need to support all the teams we have and stop criticizing them and saying why can't we do better

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well done lads.

Czech 5 Canada 1

It was 5-0 then Radinski scored in the 89th min.

But well done Scotland!

termatofylakas

Sep 16, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Portugal 1- Greece 1.........not a bad game from the Greeks considering they were playing with 10 men from the 30th.......Figo missed a PK after that and the Greeks scored a min into the second half.......Portugal was all over us from the 30th and on and equalized in the 60th........a promising result for the Greeks and maybe they have a decent squad after all :eek: ........also cograts to the Scots for pulling off the win today but will it be enough........and what the hell is wrong with Croatia??

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Denmark 3
England 2

Rooney and Joe Cole scored for Engerlund.
Jorgensen with 2 and Jan Dahl Thomasson for the Danes.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0